gasolin

best cd player sound on a low budget

Better sound when playing cd's

Yamaha CDX-570 with a faulty digital output

ATM im using it with a tube-t1 (tube buffer) with  5654 6AK5 CV4010 JAN GE MATCHED PAIR NOS BOXED VALVE/TUBE (good midrange and wide soundstage)

Buying a used cdplayer for 30-40 euros and buy one of the ultra compact dac for 50 euros (smsl,nobosund,fx audo, fosi audio) or buying a better cdplayer for the same price as a cheap cdplayer and a dac ?

What would sound best ?

Better CD player.

• Like 2

What would you be doing if the Yamaha digital output worked? Perhaps it can be fixed.

I don't think it's worth spending money on fixing the digital out

I could buy a better dac

A separate DAC is always a good idea since it can be used with other sources as well, should you ever wish. If you'll only be using the digital output from a CD player, sound quality isn't likely to be noticeably different between a cheap model and an expensive one. Go too cheap, and durability may of course suffer. You don't want to buy something that breaks down in 6 months time.

I know it's not what you asked, but have you considered ripping your CDs and getting some kind of network streamer to play from a NAS?

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Said it numerous times before - will say it again.  Buy the best DAC you can afford - then source cd players with digital out (cheap second hand or a new Cambridge CD transport only for £250).  Lasers fail and the manufacturers discontinue the laser assemblies making older machines difficult if not impossible to repair.

Think of the CD transport like a cartridge on your TT.  In the future you will have to buy a new stylus or replacement cartridge.   So put some money aside to replace the transport when it dies (which it will do eventually) .. 

• Like 1

nas,networks streamer is to expensive and why would i use one when i have a pc ?

There are some cd's you can't listen to on tidal like the new from rammstein and they prefer remastered cd where the  origonal cd's or lp's often sound better

ATM im playing the sound track from The blues brothers movie and it sound rather thin, not digital, im missing some warmth and a little more tight,punchy bass (not the same a using bass controls, eq)

Super Dealer
5 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Said it numerous times before - will say it again.  Buy the best DAC you can afford - then source cd players with digital out (cheap second hand or a new Cambridge CD transport only for £250).  Lasers fail and the manufacturers discontinue the laser assemblies making older machines difficult if not impossible to repair.

Think of the CD transport like a cartridge on your TT.  In the future you will have to buy a new stylus or replacement cartridge.   So put some money aside to replace the transport when it dies (which it will do eventually) .. 

State of the art DACs are not expensive, if you go over to ASR ( Audio Science Review ) forum there is a list of all the DACs that have been measured.

Keith

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, PuritéAudio said:

State of the art DACs are not expensive, if you go over to ASR ( Audio Science Review ) forum there is a list of all the DACs that have been measured.

Keith

One man's expensive is another man's bargain.   At the end of the day buy the one (you can afford) that sounds best to you.   I would add that the performance of a Dacmagic is more than equal to the Meridan players of yore (I tried it on the end of a Meridian 206 and 506 and the Dacmagic was preferable) .. I have heard many swear blind at how good the Beresford one is too so the options are many (as are the prices). 

Great suggestion to read the reviews and check the specs and measurements - but do listen to make sure you like it too 

Super Dealer
Keith
And how would measuring help if the OP can't stand the sound?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, uzzy said:

ATM im not gonna spend several 100 pounds,euros on a cd upgrade

Used cdplayer with a digital output isn't a problem to find for as little as 30-40 euros, the one i have now is just a bit more than 25 years old but spins quietly, besides the digital out and the sound being a little thin, it works fine, i wouldn't worry about having to buy a new cdplayer to use as a transporter.

Get a cdplayer within your price limited from a known brand that is not crap (review, it doesn't have to be a best buy or the best player out of 10 reviewed) and of course has a working digital out

• Like 1

Super Dealer

A DAC is a digital to analogue converter , if the unit measures well the conversion will be audibly transparent .

If you are not enjoying the sound of your system then look at the loudspeakers and their interaction with the room.

Keith

• Upvote 1

I would also  include together with the small dacs from smsl,nobosund,fosi audio,fx audio someting like a  beresford tc-7510

Im not looking for upgrading my speakers, it's like when you want better sound from your turntable you don't change the speakers or turntable, you change the cartridge

11 minutes ago, gasolin said:

ATM im not gonna spend several 100 pounds,euros on a cd upgrade

Used cdplayer with a digital output isn't a problem to find for as little as 30-40 euros, the one i have now is just a bit more than 25 years old but spins quietly, besides the digital out and the sound being a little thin, it works fine, i wouldn't worry about having to buy a new cdplayer to use as a transporter.

Get a cdplayer within your price limited from a known brand that is not crap (review, it doesn't have to be a best buy or the best player out of 10 reviewed) and of course has a working digital out

A used CD player will do fine, and they can be found for very little money. I would advise against getting one that's more than 10 years old, though, to avoid any issues with ageing electrolytic capacitors. What was said about the laser failing is true, but if spending only 30 euros (or less), I wouldn't worry about that. Whenever it does fail, you can simply replace the whole thing with another used unit.

• Like 1

cdplayer's for under 50 euros are often alot older than 10 years, often  a standard cdplayer don't have digital out, this could also raise the price when you can't buy a used standard (it's no crap) cdplayer with digital out, so it's future proof and don't have to buy a cdplayer for twice the price of a dac that wil give you better sound.

Even cdplayers from the mid 80 to the late 80's goes for something like 50 euros for a mid end player like a Denon DCD-920 (1990)