gasolin

best cd player sound on a low budget

28 minutes ago, gasolin said:

cdplayer's for under 50 euros are often alot older than 10 years, often  a standard cdplayer don't have digital out, this could also raise the price when you can't buy a used standard (it's no crap) cdplayer with digital out, so it's future proof and don't have to buy a cdplayer for twice the price of a dac that wil give you better sound.

Even cdplayers from the mid 80 to the late 80's goes for something like 50 euros for a mid end player like a Denon DCD-920 (1990)

Anything older than 20 years will almost certainly need to have some electrolytic capacitors replaced. If you're comfortable doing that (or know someone who can help you), go for it. Things made in the 00s are often affected by the capacitor plague, again necessitating replacements. Newer stuff should be fine.

It might be worth looking at DVD players as well. A quick search turns up the Sony DVPSR760 which has coax S/PDIF output and retails new for £35, just as an example.

Edited by mansr
  • Upvote 1

I have when i asked for help getting, choosing the cdplayer i have now (have an old blueray player i tried in my amp digitally, which didn't sound to good)

Problems is a dvd or blueray player don't have dedicated buttons for playing a cd, second  a dvd or blueray player is very slow to play a cd compared to a cdplayer (my blueray player and dvd in my pc is)

No dedicated buttons for playing cd's, just open/close,play,stop power and on/off (Sony DVPSR760), would feel stupid using a remote control when sitting 2 feet from the cdplayer, that's the 2 things i don't like at all and why i don't use a dvd or blueray player instead of a used cdplayer

s-l1600.jpg

Just to get you and idea of hopw many buttons my cdplayer has

a7c73e92-4a6f-42af-840d-90c516771965.jpg

Edited by gasolin

As a minimum i require dedicated media playing buttons and fast play back  (my dvd player in my nad c717 is also extremly slow so i can't have a "slow" dvd/blueray player)

18 minutes ago, gasolin said:

Problems is a dvd or blueray player don't have dedicated buttons for playing a cd, second  a dvd or blueray player is very slow to play a cd compared to a cdplayer (my blueray player and dvd in my pc is)

No dedicated buttons for playing cd's, just open/close,play,stop power and on/off

Haven't we done this exact same stream a few months ago? I suggested an Arcam DV79 which you shopped for on ebay but got outbid on and which also has the buttons you want (and is also available in the silver I seem to recall you preferring at the time). 

Perhaps you could reread through that stream as there were many suggestions in there...

• Like 1

yes

I don't prefer silver since my current amp is black

This time i asked about my cdplayer and a tube buffer, a cheap cdplayer + dac or for the same money a better cdplayer (no external dac)

Edited by gasolin

Rotel RCD 965BX. It's a cracker. Good ones can be picked up for around £100 mark.

I owned the RCD 975, and sound wise still wished I had it.

Buttons on a Rotel RCD 965BX easily breaks,won't last 25 years, thought the marantz cd5005 i once had sounded better

Buttons on a Rotel RCD 965BX easily breaks,won't last 25 years, thought the marantz cd5005 i once had sounded better

How hard are you pressing them?!
  • Haha 2

A DAC is a digital to analogue converter , if the unit measures well the conversion will be audibly transparent .

It’s a lovely theory. However I remember carrying out a group test of similarly priced DACs years ago.

All 5 candidates “measured well” but one sounded awful, two sounded fine, one sounded very good and the last one was so much better than any of the others it was quite astonishing.

5 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

How hard are you pressing them?!

Price?

• Haha 1

Super Dealer
36 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

It’s a lovely theory. However I remember carrying out a group test of similarly priced DACs years ago.

All 5 candidates “measured well” but one sounded awful, two sounded fine, one sounded very good and the last one was so much better than any of the others it was quite astonishing.

To paraphrase Mandy Rice Davis...

Next  time try comparing them unsighted and level matched, can’t see any mag publishing your piece though.

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio

The problem seems to be, my Danish friend, that as we don’t live in Denmark, we don’t know what the prices are like for used equipment. You also seem to not have very much money to buy any of theses things. Just save up more money, then have another look at what’s around, or ask on a Danish forum 😉

16 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

To paraphrase Mandy Rice Davis...

Next  time try comparing them unsighted and level matched, can’t see any mag publishing your piece though.

Keith

Because nobody buys audio like that.......so it would be a useless article. When was the last time YOU did that for a customer? Have you ever done it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mr neds said:

The problem seems to be, my Danish friend, that as we don’t live in Denmark, we don’t know what the prices are like for used equipment. You also seem to not have very much money to buy any of theses things. Just save up more money, then have another look at what’s around, or ask on a Danish forum 😉

I'm getting the impression of someone who has more or less made up his mind and is really looking for validation rather than actual advice. I could of course be wrong.