gasolin

best cd player sound on a low budget

I once read an interesting piece of advice on cables, but it could apply to anything, if a dealer tries to "up sell" you on the basis that a more expensive item sounds better. Ask him to let you swap the cables and have him tell you which is which. 

Apparently very few are willing to participate :geek:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mr neds said:

The problem seems to be, my Danish friend, that as we don’t live in Denmark, we don’t know what the prices are like for used equipment. You also seem to not have very much money to buy any of theses things. Just save up more money, then have another look at what’s around, or ask on a Danish forum 😉

ALL USED

Denon DCD-625 (1995) 40 euros

Technics SL-PS670A (1994) 54 euros

Denon DCD 895 (1993-94) 54 euros

Denon DCD 1290 (1992-92) 60 euros

Yamaha CDX-730E (1989) 74 euros

Denon dcd 1500MKII (1988) 94 euros

Denon DCD 685 (2001-2006) 120 euros

Denon DCD-1450AR (1999-2005) 120 euros

Yamaha CDX-596 (2001) 127 euros

Denon DCD-520AE (212-2017) 134 euros

32 minutes ago, mr neds said:

The problem seems to be, my Danish friend, that as we don’t live in Denmark, we don’t know what the prices are like for used equipment. You also seem to not have very much money to buy any of theses things. Just save up more money, then have another look at what’s around, or ask on a Danish forum 😉

Or perhaps that this is a waste of everyones time...

As per my comment above...

Gasolin you've already asked this question and got loads of answers... reread the stream...

cheap 2nd hand cd suggestions are not going to have wildly varied since you asked this, very recently indeed.

Happy shopping. I'm out.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

State of the art DACs are not expensive, if you go over to ASR ( Audio Science Review ) forum there is a list of all the DACs that have been measured.

Keith

absolutely , i have 2 superb highly modded valve dacs , one cost 280 pounds and most recently 500 s/h . superb sound 

• Like 1

To paraphrase Mandy Rice Davis...
Next  time try comparing them unsighted and level matched, can’t see any mag publishing your piece though.
Keith

Why would I need to over complicate things like that? Even my feeble little brain can manage to listen to five items of Hifi and decide which one sounds best. No blindfolds or sound level meters required!

It’s really not difficult... ;)
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

absolutely , i have 2 superb highly modded valve dacs , one cost 280 pounds and most recently 500 s/h . superb sound 

I have a modded jolida too...just the best..Couldnt be happier with it..

• Like 1

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, George 47 said:

Because nobody buys audio like that.......so it would be a useless article. When was the last time YOU did that for a customer? Have you ever done it?

Today.

Keith

Super Dealer
21 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

Why would I need to over complicate things like that? Even my feeble little brain can manage to listen to five items of Hifi and decide which one sounds best. No blindfolds or sound level meters required!

You should try it Adam, it is revelatory , you wouldn’t have to publish anything.

Keith

1 hour ago, Beobloke said:

Your brain doesn't need to be feeble to be influenced by marketing, shiny cases, reputation, price or any of a number of things that influence your perception of how things sound. I'm not saying I'm very different apart from I'm an inverted snob so am prone to being overly critical of more expensive items, whether that be hifi, cars, clothes, everything. If item A is more expensive than item B my starting point is that whoever made A is trying to rip me off & they'll have to work very hard to prove otherwise 

If someone know a dvd player with buttons like on a cd player i will have a look at that 

There must be some cheap dvd player out there that has button so it would be as easy to play cd's as a real cdplayer (why buy a cdplayer and dvd player if all you need is a dvd player) , don't forget digital output, but doesn't even the cheapest dvd player have that compared to £200 cdplayers where you can't be shure it has a digital output.

Edited by gasolin

15 hours ago, Gaz38 said:

If item A is more expensive than item B my starting point is that whoever made A is trying to rip me off & they'll have to work very hard to prove otherwise 

Alternatively,  item A is made in a safe, well-equipped modern factory in western Europe by an adult union member earning a reasonable wage and item B is made in a tin hut by a seven year old schoolgirl whose principal tool is a teaspoon, and who's earning 20p per hour for a 12 hour shift.

14 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Alternatively,  item A is made in a safe, well-equipped modern factory in western Europe by an adult union member earning a reasonable wage and item B is made in a tin hut by a seven year old schoolgirl whose principal tool is a teaspoon, and who's earning 20p per hour for a 12 hour shift.

That's 20p more than she would earn otherwise 🙄

Being more serious I sincerely doubt a high retail price is any guarantee of better working conditions for employees here or overseas

5 minutes ago, Gaz38 said:

That's 20p more than she would earn otherwise 🙄

Being more serious I sincerely doubt a high retail price is any guarantee of better working conditions for employees here or overseas

Agreed. If you want to shop responsibly, putting the effort into doing a little homework is in order.

There are expensive brands I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, but that doesn't mean everything expensive is a rip-off.

But if you can buy a pair of jeans in a British High St for under a fiver, that probably is a guarantee they weren't stitched together in the rolling Tuscan foothills by a skilled seamstress.

Until my recent Philips (refurbished CD104) purchase, the nicest sounding CD player I have owned was the NAD C521BEE .

Not the world's biggest sample, but all the nicest/best sounding CD players and Dacs that I have heard are NOS Dacs.

Some say: they are the Devils work and measure poorly.

However, I know what my ears tell me.