Casper82

Speaker rattle

Hi all,

i just picked up a pair of Original Acoustic energy AE109 floorstanding speakers and there is a rattle coming from one of the bottom bass cones at certain bass frequencies. 

The foam surround around the driver looks fine and even with the bass turned down or source direct enabled the rattle is still there.  

I’m currently running them with a nad C320bee as a pre amp and a nad 214 power amp. I have tried enabling soft clipping on both the pre and power amp and also disconnecting the power amp and just running them from the C320Bee but the rattle is still there.

I have checked the jumper links are fine, I have them currently connected to the LF terminals and have also tried swapping over to the HF terminals but the rattle is still the same.

Does this sound like a blown driver perhaps or something else?

I have a nad T754 I can connect them to to see if this makes any difference. I have not removed the drivers yet but I did read somewhere that someone suggested removing them and turning them upside down.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, Casper82 said:

Hi all,

i just picked up a pair of Original Acoustic energy AE109 floorstanding speakers and there is a rattle coming from one of the bottom bass cones at certain bass frequencies. 

The foam surround around the driver looks fine and even with the bass turned down or source direct enabled the rattle is still there.  

I’m currently running them with a nad C320bee as a pre amp and a nad 214 power amp. I have tried enabling soft clipping on both the pre and power amp and also disconnecting the power amp and just running them from the C320Bee but the rattle is still there.

I have checked the jumper links are fine, I have them currently connected to the LF terminals and have also tried swapping over to the HF terminals but the rattle is still the same.

Does this sound like a blown driver perhaps or something else?

I have a nad T754 I can connect them to to see if this makes any difference. I have not removed the drivers yet but I did read somewhere that someone suggested removing them and turning them upside down.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

It is hard to say .. I had a similar problem with a KEF B130 bass unit years ago - it seemed to work properly - moved smoothly when gently pushed by hand, surround perfect .. yet at certain frequencies I had a rattle.  When I changed the unit normality was restored  BUT it could be the cabinet bracing coming unglued and rattling at certain frequencies - or the crossover board is not tightly attached and vibrating - 

It might be work putting your ear to the loudspeaker cabinet (try different positions) to see if it is the cabinet or bracing rattling if you cannot determine from that ..  swap the bass drivers (switch from cabinet to the other) and see if the rattle moves with the bass driver.    Before you do that switch the speaker leads to ensure it is not something back in the chain and nowt to do with the loudspeakers.

@uzzy Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have tried listening at different areas in the speaker and it seems to definitely be coming from the driver. I’ll try what you suggested and swap the speaker cables over first to see if the rattle moves to the other speaker. If it’s still present guess I’ll have to remove the driver to check it over.

ive checked on eBay but can’t see any drivers on there at the moment, only foam surround kits.

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Casper82 said:

@uzzy Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have tried listening at different areas in the speaker and it seems to definitely be coming from the driver. I’ll try what you suggested and swap the speaker cables over first to see if the rattle moves to the other speaker. If it’s still present guess I’ll have to remove the driver to check it over.

ive checked on eBay but can’t see any drivers on there at the moment, only foam surround kits.

If you have to replace the driver - it may be best to replace both.  Give Falcon Acoustics a call - they are the experts in drive units and will recommend suitable replacements.  Failing that you could try a repair job .. contact http://www.audioloudspeakers.co.uk/boultons.shtml they are repairers, also http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/   They may be able to recone the driver for you and sort it out .. although again I would do both so that there is no audible difference between them.

Hope you get it sorted 

Might sound bit silly but have you checked the screws of the speaker that is rattling? Might need tightening up? I see you checked terminals..guessing you would have unscrewed speaker! Duh! My bad lol

Edited by Nearly bewildered
Needed to add something
  • Upvote 3

@uzzy thanks for the contacts.

I’ll check a few more things first just to make sure it is the driver. If it is the driver then I might just contact Falcon Acoustics and get the drive units in both speakers replaced just piece of mind.

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Casper82 said:

@uzzy thanks for the contacts.

I’ll check a few more things first just to make sure it is the driver. If it is the driver then I might just contact Falcon Acoustics and get the drive units in both speakers replaced just piece of mind.

I would also check the rebuild engineers as a good recone is the same as a new driver 

8 minutes ago, Casper82 said:

@Nearly bewildered My next step is to remove the driver and check it and put it back to see if it eliminates the rattle.

Might be the dust cap? Might be a bit loose..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Might sound bit silly but have you checked the screws of the speaker that is rattling? Might need tightening up? I see you checked terminals..guessing you would have unscrewed speaker! Duh! My bad lol

This is exactly what I was going to say. When I first bought my Monolith I noticed some audible distortion but tightening up the screws holding the driver in the cabinet sorted it 🙂. Note that the screws on my sub turned easily: don't start trying to overtighten screws that already feel fine.

• Like 1

I’ve tightened up the bolts on both drivers, also checked all around the foam surrounds again. While checking the rattle again I noticed that the top driver seems to have a slight rattle as well.

I’ve checked  both drivers on the other speaker and they are fine. It seems to be something to do with this speaker. I’m going to cut and redo the speaker cable for this side invade it’s something to do with the connection.

11 minutes ago, Casper82 said:

I’ve tightened up the bolts on both drivers, also checked all around the foam surrounds again. While checking the rattle again I noticed that the top driver seems to have a slight rattle as well.

I’ve checked  both drivers on the other speaker and they are fine. It seems to be something to do with this speaker. I’m going to cut and redo the speaker cable for this side invade it’s something to do with the connection.

Just swap the speaker cables over between the left and right speakers if you want to rule them out as a cause but I'd be very surprised if it was.

I’ve swapped over the speaker cable but the rattle is still there. I checked the top driver and it’s not rattling, it was the sound from the bottom one I could hear.

@Nearly bewildered with regards to the dust cap, if the push on the cap slightly the rattling does stop a bit. Either way it does look to be something to do with that driver.

@MartinC no they didn’t come with any spikes so are just on the plinth on the carpet for now.

i did remove the bolts but couldn’t figure out how to remove the driver. I did check online but couldn’t find any videos.