Casper82

Speaker rattle

4 minutes ago, Casper82 said:

I’ve swapped over the speaker cable but the rattle is still there. I checked the top driver and it’s not rattling, it was the sound from the bottom one I could hear.

@Nearly bewildered with regards to the dust cap, if the push on the cap slightly the rattling does stop a bit. Either way it does look to be something to do with that driver.

Look very carefully at dust cap any deviation or tiny split.or even how its joined to speaker? Any tiny gaps? 

To remove a mid/bass driver you usually just remove the screws holding it on place around the edge and then tilt the speaker so the driver falls out. Lay the speaker on its side first and obviously support the driver with your hand. Be careful not to move the driver so far it puts strain on the cables.

@Nearly bewildered I’ve checked all around the dust cap and compared it to the other drivers and all seems fine. The only little thing I can notice is at the bottom where the glue goes around the dust cap there is a small bit of glue not attached to the cone and had lifted to touch the cap.

@MartinC thanks I will try that method to remove the driver. 

I tried again to removed the driver, I removed the bolts to tilted the speaker forward but the driver doesn’t budge. It looks like the plastic surround it’s housed in might need something put down the side to get it out.

If the wiring allows try rotating the driver 90 or 180 degrees and put it back in, I did this after a recommendation on some Quadral speakers and it cured a slight rattle/buzz. 

Edit, that's assuming you can get it out

Edited by Gaz38
  • Upvote 1

@Gaz38 yes I read that somewhere as well. Once I figure out how to remove the driver without damaging the cabinets I will definitely try it.

For now if I play in source direct mode the rattle goes, I must admit I do usually have the bass turned up quiet a bit so maybe it’s a good thing for me to get used to listening with no time controls.

@MartinC I’ve attached a photo of the driver. Once the screws are removed the plastic surround that houses the driver looks like it’s wedged in as tipping the speaker forward doesn’t move the driver.
I may be able to put a flat screwdriver down one side to lever it out but I don’t want to damage the driver or speaker cabinet.

8A7BFE51-681B-42B4-B92B-F5D2C264AA94.jpeg

Put a piece of plastic (old bank card) behind a screwdriver to protect the wood and try gently levering in out. A thick rubber band or cardboard can also be used behind the screwdriver

• Upvote 1

I have some AE100s in my workshop..im back there on monday, if you want to hold fire on removing speaker? Ill have a go at removing speaker on my AE100 on monday..i think you need to be very careful even with suppporting back of screwdriver with padding!!! I wouldn't use a screwdriver.. A filler knife is thinner less chance of damage to veneer ( vinyl wrap) if you can be patient? Ill have a go at my speaker..second question is can you return speakers as they are faulty?  Once they are damaged..Forget it..what did you.pay for them? 

@Nearly bewildered for now I am using them in source direct mode so yes I can wait until Monday. I don’t really want to tamper with the driver until I know how they are removed etc so that would be a great help. I’ve took drivers out before and they normally pretty much fall out once the screws are removed, these however seem like the housing is pressed into the cabinet.

I picked them up for £100 on Gumtree so don’t really think there is any chance of returning them. 

Also another thing is they was listed as black, however when the seller delivered them I found out they was originally rosewood. The seller had someone professionally stick a black vinyl wrap over the cabinet as his wife didn’t like the rosewood finish. To be honest they did do a really good job and you can only tell once the grills are removed as they didn’t cover around the drivers. I’m in two minds as to if I should leave the wrap on for protection or remove it and restore them to their former glory. I’m just a bit worried of what the condition of the original finish might be under the wrap, it just seems a travesty to cover that nice rosewood finish.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Casper82 said:

@Nearly bewildered for now I am using them in source direct mode so yes I can wait until Monday. I don’t really want to tamper with the driver until I know how they are removed etc so that would be a great help. I’ve took drivers out before and they normally pretty much fall out once the screws are removed, these however seem like the housing is pressed into the cabinet.

I picked them up for £100 on Gumtree so don’t really think there is any chance of returning them. 

Also another thing is they was listed as black, however when the seller delivered them I found out they was originally rosewood. The seller had someone professionally stick a black vinyl wrap over the cabinet as his wife didn’t like the rosewood finish. To be honest they did do a really good job and you can only tell once the grills are removed as they didn’t cover around the drivers. I’m in two minds as to if I should leave the wrap on for protection or remove it and restore them to their former glory. I’m just a bit worried of what the condition of the original finish might be under the wrap, it just seems a travesty to cover that nice rosewood finish.

Leave the wrap on..im a bit concerned that the drivers may well have been removed before and refixed? My drivers on the AEs in workshop look very similar to yours..hang on..if they been rewrapped? Fair chance speakers have been removed so vinyl fits better?  And possibly speakers glued under the screws..or worse they used silicone..ill report back on monday