Casper82

Speaker rattle

I've used a large screw wedged in the basket screw hole to pull a driver out before. If it's a really tight, you can use a claw hammer to pry the screw/driver out.

@Fatmarley I did try to leave one of the screws in a little and pulled the speaker but it didn’t budge. I don’t want to be too heavy handed in case I break something so will wait for @Nearly bewildered to update me on Monday once he had removed one of his drivers.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Casper82 said:

@Fatmarley I did try to leave one of the screws in a little and pulled the speaker but it didn’t budge. I don’t want to be too heavy handed in case I break something so will wait for @Nearly bewildered to update me on Monday once he had removed one of his drivers.

See if the driver above comes out so you can put your hand in to push out the problem driver?  If you use a screwdriver as a lever I would put something hard and flat (metal) against the woodwork then try to lever it out as suggested above.  The reason for a nice flat piece of metal is to ensure that you do not dent the baffle board with whatever you put underneath the screwdriver to create a lever ... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Casper82 said:

I use a larger screw, or bolt, that jams in the metal and then a lever (claw hammer?) onto a flat support, as uzzy suggested.  Sometimes drivers have a sticky sealing material, in fact I use a black window sealing strip which is gooey.

Edited by awkwardbydesign
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@uzzy and @awkwardbydesign I may have another try at removing the driver later. For now as long as I use them with no tone controls then the rattle is none existent. 

I’ve emailed acoustic energy to see if they still do replacement drivers or which ones they recommend as replacements. As I only paid £100 for the speakers if they do need a new driver I need to weigh up if they are cost effective to replace or if it would be best to sell them on and use the funds for another set of speakers.

BTW, have you tried turning the speaker upside down and playing it?  That might give a clue as to whether it is something loose (sound changes) or an internal driver fault (no change). 

As an aside, I once spent weeks trying to fix a distorting amplifier, and it turned out to be a rubbing voice coil in the bass driver!  I worked out which side was rubbing and pressing sideways and pushing the driver in and out several times I cleared it.  I still have the driver many years on and it works fine.  Lucky, and it might not help you, but then again, it might.

• Upvote 1

@awkwardbydesign I haven’t manage to get the driver out yet, once I do I will check to see if anything is rubbing and also try turning it upside down to see if that works.

I really am hoping that it doesn’t need a driver as I have been looking for a long time for a pair of these to come up locally.

I dont know if its been mentioned but it sounds like the driver may have been overdriven and the voice coil overheated leading to the glue binding it togther melting. I know this from bitter experience.

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Mondie said:

I dont know if its been mentioned but it sounds like the driver may have been overdriven and the voice coil overheated leading to the glue binding it togther melting. I know this from bitter experience.

ah but did it rattle after - or just sound awful :)  .?

@Mondie Thanks for the info, while looking for replacement driver recommendations I did see someone mention that this did happen to their ae109’s.

Once I manage to remove the driver I will take some photos and post them up.

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, Casper82 said:

@Mondie Thanks for the info, while looking for replacement driver recommendations I did see someone mention that this did happen to their ae109’s.

Once I manage to remove the driver I will take some photos and post them up.

I doubt there will be much to see .. the fault normally lies out of sight lol .. did you try pushing the driver in and out gently by hand to see if there were any extraneous noises 

• Like 1

Have you checked the ports /vents ?   I had a speaker rattle, thought it was distortion in my amp , turned out to be the plastic port at the rear had come slightly loose .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garcar said:

Have you checked the ports /vents ?   I had a speaker rattle, thought it was distortion in my amp , turned out to be the plastic port at the rear had come slightly loose .

Had a similar problem with a pair of Kef coda 8s. The port was glued to the cabinet side wall but came loose and rattled.

@uzzy yes I tried moving the driver by hand and couldn’t hear anything. If music is playing and I push slightly on the dust cap the noise stops. It may well be the centre cap or something inside the cabinet making the noise.