Casper82

Speaker rattle

When I melted my voice coils I could gently push the cone in and feel/hear the voice call grabbing. Have you tried that?

16 minutes ago, Mondie said:

When I melted my voice coils I could gently push the cone in and feel/hear the voice call grabbing. Have you tried that?

I have tried pushing the cone by hand and couldn’t hear anything. I will try it again as perhaps I was being too gentle with fear of breaking anything.

I reckon there is enough potential theories on the cause of this to run a sweep stake. Put me down for the cabinet rattle 😀 !

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

I reckon there is enough potential theories on the cause of this to run a sweep stake. Put me down for the cabinet rattle 😀 !

That really did make me laugh 🤣

I never really thought that so many things could cause a rattle, hopefully there is a happy ending and not any twist and turns.

I really do appreciate all the comments and advice, it’s nice to know that there are so many people that want to help.

Ill keep this thread updated as the saga continues 😂

Last time I had a rattle it was between a wooden insert and the box, very hard to localise but I set it running at the right frequency from a tone generator at low volume while pushing and pulling and messing around with anything touchable. Finally fixed by running a piece of string as a gasket between the two.

1 hour ago, awkwardbydesign said:

If and when you do want to remove it, gently warming with a hairdryer will soften the glue. 

Yes that’s how I was planning on removing it if I do.

Part of me wants to remove it as I know it shouldn’t be there. Part of me wants to leave it in case it causes damage being removed or shows up any damage that has been covered.

1 hour ago, timmytiger said:

Last time I had a rattle it was between a wooden insert and the box, very hard to localise but I set it running at the right frequency from a tone generator at low volume while pushing and pulling and messing around with anything touchable. Finally fixed by running a piece of string as a gasket between the two.

I can only imagine your moment of relief when you finally located your rattle.

I was thinking of running one of them bass frequency test tones while checking the cab and ports etc.

I’ve checked over the whole cabinet and the ports, all seems fine and the rattle was still present. I tried pushing the driver in and out by hand and couldn’t hear anything unusual, I also did this to the top driver to compare just in case.

When pressing on the centre of the dust cap slightly and pushing the driver in a little the rattle goes, guess it could well be the dust cap or something behind the driver.

I removed the bolts again, tipped the speaker forward and banged on the back, no joy the driver didn’t budge. I tried playing some music with the bolts removed to see if the driver would wiggle free, still no joy. I found a plastic putty knife that I had laying around the house, I tried wedging this down the side and gently levering the speaker out, it didn’t budge one bit. The driver must either be glued or wedged in somehow.

With no tone controls the rattle isn’t there so I’ve either got to use them with no tone controls or use tone controls and put up with the rattle.

Super Wammer

I could view my digital xover setup with its eq adjustments as an advanced tone control .......oh lord I'm a Sinner 😱

1 hour ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Well, tone controls are immoral anyway, so serves you right! :D

To be honest, I’m kinda getting used to not using tone controls now. 

As long as the rattle is not present with them disabled, then I can live with it for now. The speakers still sound great, do for now I’m just enjoying my Qobuz trial 😁

• Like 1