wadsy

'warmer' sounding Streamer?

I recently tried a Hegel 90 (amp/network player) but for me the sound difference didn't justify the cost. ie the sound when connected to my CD player wasn't a great deal 'better' than with my old Rotel amp that I'm using whilst trying to find what to replace my (expired) AA Pucinni SE.

So, I bought a CA CXN to try, which I've been doing (with FLAC files) back to back with my CD player (AA Meastro) playing CDs.

But, I much prefer the sound of my CD player; it has a smoother, warmer, fuller sound that is easier to listen to. I'm finding the CXN/FLAC lacking in these attributes and even a little hard on my ears at times.

Is there a streamer/network player that would give me a sound more like my CD player? Primarily looking for the convenience of using it as a network player for my ripped CDs. Any streaming would only be for 'looking' for new stuff!

Cheers chaps.

PS. Speakers are Neat Iota Alpha

Edited by wadsy

Super Wammer

Surely it is a warmer sounding DAC that you are looking for ie one that sounds like your AA CDP and any old streamer/network player? That means the DAC is likely to be one that does not "measure" very well. 

The ones I have heard that may fit the bill cheaply. Original Squeezebox into the likes of AS DAX /Sugden SDA or any of the Phillips TDA1541/S2 crown chips. doable for a couple of hundred quid ( not AS DAX)

They give the sound that I enjoy. My CDP/DAC is an AS Transcend twin ST transport into DAX Discrete or DAX Decade balanced. I only use a Sq,ueezebox for convenience, not critical listening, which is mainly vinyl.

Edited by yoda900
  • Like 1

Try to demo the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. It sounds good. The onboard DAC is nice sounding too.

Super Dealer

Just get a DAC with tone controls, experiment with lowering the treble output, frequency and -gain.

Keith

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

Try to demo the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. It sounds good. The onboard DAC is nice sounding too.

Darko says that this has a leaner sound than the Auralic Altair G1 and I would not call the Altair warm. On the warmest filter setting the Altair was equal to the ‘leanest’ filter on the Chord Qutest. Everyone has their own definition of warm but I would look elsewhere. 

I quite liked the Marantz at £1000. It’s warm, a bit polite but beautiful sounding. It also has a CDP built in. I am not familiar with your unit and tastes so this may or may not suit. 

2 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I like the Linn DS, as I find them engaging and natural sounding.....what it isn't (imo), is analytical.

I agree with Cno, especially as you move up the chain. The Sneaky can sound a tad thin  but the best Linn DS for the money must be the Renew, that is created when customers upgrade their Klimax DSs and Linn rehouse the original motherboard in a plain black box and include the Dynamik power supply. You can often find them on the used market but often they have never even been taken out of the box as they are a kind of by-product from the upgrade :D

Warmer dac? Valve dac...

24 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I like the Linn DS, as I find them engaging and natural sounding.....what it isn't (imo), is analytical.

+1

7 hours ago, DomT said:

Darko says that this has a leaner sound than the Auralic Altair G1 and I would not call the Altair warm. On the warmest filter setting the Altair was equal to the ‘leanest’ filter on the Chord Qutest. Everyone has their own definition of warm but I would look elsewhere. 

I quite liked the Marantz at £1000. It’s warm, a bit polite but beautiful sounding. It also has a CDP built in. I am not familiar with your unit and tastes so this may or may not suit. 

OP wants a streamer that sounds like his CD player. The Mytek Brooklyn Bridge when streaming, sounds kinda like my Cary CD500. So ... hehehe 

Marantz ND8006? 

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, tIANcI said:

OP wants a streamer that sounds like his CD player. The Mytek Brooklyn Bridge when streaming, sounds kinda like my Cary CD500. So ... hehehe 

Marantz ND8006? 

I have never heard the Brooklyn I was just quoting a Darko video. I have also never heard a Cary player. Yes the Marantz ND8006 - thanks for that. May or may not be warm enough. 

The problem with words like warm is that different people have a different take on what it means; a bit like when my wife says the curry isn’t hot and it blows my head off. 

From what I've read, the mytek products are anything but warm. I might be biased, but if you want a 'warm', analogue sounding DAC. Exogal 

43 minutes ago, kernow said:

From what I've read, the mytek products are anything but warm. I might be biased, but if you want a 'warm', analogue sounding DAC. Exogal 

Warm as in warm amp/preamp ... nope ... sound like CD player? Yeah. With a bit of lushness.

2 hours ago, DomT said:

The problem with words like warm is that different people have a different take on what it means; a bit like when my wife says the curry isn’t hot and it blows my head off. 

How true ... what is warm exactly? Same curry issue with my gf, I dun think it’s hot at all but she will end up sweating 😂🤣

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

A quick Google suggests the OP's CD player has a digital input? If so trying using that would be where I'd start.

You got that right, that’s why we need experienced people like you. But the funny thing is this, CXN is a streamer/DAC/preamp ... so CXN digital out to the CD player digital in and CD analogue out to amp without using the CXN as preamp anymore. 😬