wadsy

'warmer' sounding Streamer?

36 minutes ago, MartinC said:

A quick Google suggests the OP's CD player has a digital input? If so trying using that would be where I'd start.

Yes, plan to try that. But not sure if/how it'll work as there's no means of switching the source - maybe it (CD player) does it automatically???

27 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

But the funny thing is this, CXN is a streamer/DAC/preamp ... so CXN digital out to the CD player digital in and CD analogue out to amp without using the CXN as preamp anymore. 😬

That's what I was going to try; sounds like you think this won't be ideal???

Super Dealer

If your CD player has a digital ‘in’ then your problems are solved.

Keith

2 hours ago, wadsy said:

That's what I was going to try; sounds like you think this won't be ideal???

Does not mean it’s not ideal ... I had the CXN v2, it’s good for the price but sound quality can be improved. Even for the DAC input.

1 hour ago, tIANcI said:

Does not mean it’s not ideal ... I had the CXN v2, it’s good for the price but sound quality can be improved. Even for the DAC input.

How would you suggest improving the sound?

Cheers :)

Super Dealer

If the ‘transport’ is sending bit perfect data then that’s it, no difference whatever the asking price.

Keith

Just now, wadsy said:

How would you suggest improving the sound?

The thing is this. You want a streamer for mere reference. But you are unhappy with the sound of the streamer and want it to sound like your CD player.

As what Martin n Keith says ... try routing the streamer to your CD’s DAC and see how it goes. Step 1 ... no cost involved.

3 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

The thing is this. You want a streamer for mere reference. But you are unhappy with the sound of the streamer and want it to sound like your CD player.

As what Martin n Keith says ... try routing the streamer to your CD’s DAC and see how it goes. Step 1 ... no cost involved.

My plan is to use the streamer/network player to play FLAC files from my PC (via ethernet) for the convenience and ease of access to my CD 'library' via a tablet, so I wouldn't have to use the CD player, hence wanting it to sound similar/as good.

Yes, I'll do that. Hopefully it'll work and give me a similar sound - just need to get a coaxial cable!

13 minutes ago, wadsy said:

Yes, I'll do that. Hopefully it'll work and give me a similar sound - just need to get a coaxial cable!

If you have a spare coaxial analogue interconnect this should be fine to try.

On 20/02/2020 at 20:33, DomT said:

Darko says that this has a leaner sound than the Auralic Altair G1 and I would not call the Altair warm. On the warmest filter setting the Altair was equal to the ‘leanest’ filter on the Chord Qutest. Everyone has their own definition of warm but I would look elsewhere.

Well said Dom.  I agree with all that.  I found the Mytek to be lean as well and with all the sources I've recently tested, I found the NAD C658 is the warmest @wadsy the mytek and the Naim easily the leanest two and the Altair and a Bluesound Node 2 with Qutest and LPS about the same and somewhere between warm and lean, i.e., closer to neutral.

Edited by ChemMan