topoxforddoc

Formula 1 2020

Early thoughts from testing

1) Mercedes DAS steering system could really stir things up

2) Racing Point looks on the money, even if rivals are concerned about RP copying the 2019 Mercedes

3) Good to see Williams looking competitive again

4) Robert Kubica 1.7 secs faster than Giovinazzi in the new Alfa Romeo on day 1 testing. Would love to know the tyre choices and fuel loads. I suspect that @IanW can't comment, but maybe RK still has real pace.

• Upvote 1

In the US, they just started televising iRacing with eNASCAR. They have done two races and the TV production crew is still learning how to use the almost unlimited number of virtual cameras, it does have potential to get us thru the Spring. While some of the drivers have rigs worth well over $40,000 and a crew doing tactics and strategy, the winner was on his own with a $1000 rig.

F1 could do a race with retired legends.

Sky have voluntarily repaid my F1 Season Pass. I am thinking 2020 is a write off. It would be good to be wrong but I am struggling to see how this can be done in the present climate. The logistics are staggering.

Wednesday evening US TV did another iRace. This time it was dirt track oval racing. Very strange cars, very strange track, they were laping in 10 to 12 seconds. It looked a lot like a kids video game.

Saturday, a different US network will do an i IndyCar road race, wonder how that will work out?

Seems that there won't be any real racing in the US until at least July.

Is the televised iRacing of real racing drivers competing or gamers? I'll bet there would be interest in seeing the F1 drivers compete in a form of virtual racing...

In the completed stock car races, they started with real racers (and retired ones) then real racers in lower classes, finally they had a race in of virtual races to fill the field.

In the dirt oval track races (which are low budget regional races, that seldom make it to network TV). They had a mix, including high-end pros that started on local dirt tracks and two pro drag racers.

so Saturday they televised a virtual IndyCar road race, just some thoughts:

• 29 cars, the real race would have 24
  • Didn't recognize several of the names, but there are 35 drivers listed fro the real races. A few only do road and street races while others only do oval races
  • The cars now have a halo with a wind screen
  • They used the real car graphics (which sometimes change from race to race). The graphics are very cluttered, which makes it hard to identify the driver.
  • The commentators were working from their homes, which meant they didn't have the resources that the virtual stock car races did.
  • The TV production crew also lacked resources. We would see crashes in the background, that they never covered.
  • This was the second of six virtual races, but the first one was not televised.

Sunday afternoon 3PM US EDST, 8PM BST,  will be the eSport: F1 Virtual Grand Prix of Austral.

3 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Sunday afternoon 3PM US EDST, 8PM BST,  will be the eSport: F1 Virtual Grand Prix of Austral.

Can you share a link to where this might be viewed?

35 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Can you share a link to where this might be viewed?

Sorry, I'm in the US.

There are four major US TV sports networks,  NBC, Fox, ABC/ESPN & CBS. Each race series  was on a different TV network.

The first virtual IndyCar was was only shown on the internet.

There are a variety of ways you can watch the virtual F1 Grand Prix. It will be available to stream live on the Formula 1 YouTube, Twitch (which we've embedded above) and Facebook channels, plus you'll be able to watch via Formula 1's various international broadcast partners including Sky Sports F1 and Sky Sports Main Event in the UK.

do a search:

f1 virtual grand prix schedule

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Ah, sorry, I was assuming these were all available free online rather than being on commercial channels :).

They may be on the internet. They spoke of some hundreds of thousand people watching the first IndyCar race and it was only on the internet.