papillon

Acoustic Treament (Furnitures)

An example: here is a quick phone pic of one of my favorite photos. This is a gemsbok on the run in the Namib Desert (captured on slide film with a Pentax 400/2.8 lens) that is printed on canvas. It is large at 40” wide. Looks great from a few feet away.

But take a look from a very close viewing distance and all that fuzzy canvas begins to reveal itself...

10042634-97B4-4187-97B9-70FDB9C4E861.jpeg

• Like 1

Max, See the link below. I've heard these sound diffusers in Japan. They are not sold in North America. It's pretty incredible what they do to the sound. They really provide openness and depth. If you could make a pair of these......

https://www.noe-ap.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/AGS-English.pdf

1 minute ago, PhotoMax said:

An example: here is a quick phone pic of one of my favorite photos. This is a gemsbok on the run in the Namib Desert (captured on slide film with a Pentax 400/2.8 lens) that is printed on canvas. It is large at 40” wide. Looks great from a few feet away.

But take a look from a very close viewing distance and all that fuzzy canvas begins to reveal itself...

Looks good from a distance.

3 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

Lovely shot!

11 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Anywhere but behind the speakers. I've tried sound absorption behind the speakers. It made things worse. All you need to do is clap your hands once in the room. Listen for a secondary echo. This is what you want to go away, and the curtains will do just that. You should hear some reverb, as you want the music to be lively, not dead.

Interesting, my local Linn dealer finds this to be the most important place to have damping. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, formann said:

Interesting, my local Linn dealer finds this to be the most important place to have damping. 

I’d say it depends on the speaker design; some requires the support from the back wall to extend the bass response and some are designed to be more free standing. The second maybe benefits from damping the back wall, if placed too close to the back wall. As a side note I think the rear wall damping has most effect on the “upper bass” if not very thick.

It is good if you have the possibility to have nothing between the speakers.

Whereas a well placed old textbook helps!

IMG_0886.jpeg

Edited by Clavius

In my experience  normal domestic furnishings and clutter have always been able  to do a good job with the fine tuning of listening rooms.

Recent trends towards minimalistic furnishing haven't always been helpful. A good load of randomly distributed clutter in a room can work wonders for the acoustics...

....and some of the worst listening rooms I've ever heard have resulted from half baked attempts at acoustic engineering !

Edited by Smokestack
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

In my experience  normal domestic furnishings and clutter have always been able  to do a good job with the fine tuning of listening rooms.

Recent tends towards minimalistic furnishing haven't always been helpful. A good load of randomly distributed clutter in a room can work wonders for the acoustics...

....and some of the worst listening room I've ever heard have resulted from half baked attempts at acoustic engineering !

You are so right. I passed my simple set to my gf. At my place I was unhappy with the sound. At her place (with more clutter) it sounded much much better. I enjoyed the sound so much more at her place. 😬

• Like 1

Wow, that is really cool. These things should have their own thread so we can follow users adventures. Am I right in assuming they aren't substantial enough to do much to bass waves, but might help further up the spectrum?

Posted (edited)

I have a wall right behind my listening position and it was noticeable how much oddlaug installation made to the vocal in particular. 

the sofa and then the few rows above reduce that blurring sound bounce. 

Because u can build them anyway you want you could insert them in the void behind a canvas picture?? But then maybe foam sheets would be better for that?

andrew

40765BEF-D96B-4808-8C50-62B3ECF0D221.jpeg

Edited by Ukandrewf