Tassie

845 valves

Hi,

I have been using  a Line Magnetic 5181a for about 3 years and am thinking of trying some new 845s, in particular the Psvane  Tii or the Shuguang WE replica. It would be ideal if I could continue to use the valve cage, small fingers etc. I know that the Tiis will work OK but I've seen conflicting info inline re the height if the Shuguangs.

Has anyone any definite info on this and/ or any thoughts on the merits of replacement tubes in this amp. It is driving Audio Note J/LX.

Many thanks

Kevin

Super Wammer

I've used the PSvane WE series 845's in my MingDa monoblocks for over 6 years.  They take a good 100 hrs to burn in but are well worth the extra cost with better bass and midrange detail.

Height wise they are approx 170mm from the top of the valve base/collar inc the top 'spike' 

Edited by MF 1000

Brook, @Speedracer of this parish, also has a 5181A with a pair of larger than normal Psvane 845s, have a word with him.

Edited by wizmax

3 hours ago, Tassie said:

Has anyone any definite info on this and/ or any thoughts on the merits of replacement tubes in this amp. It is driving Audio Note J/LX.

At some point @rabski will be along with sage advice as he is Yoda of all things tubes/valves.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

I've used the PSvane WE series 845's in my MingDa monoblocks for over 6 years.  They take a good 100 hrs to burn in but are well worth the extra cost with better bass and midrange detail.

Height wise they are approx 170mm from the top of the valve base/collar inc the top 'spike' 

I also used Psvane WE845 in my Icon Audio MB845Mk2M monoblocks and can echo the improvement in bass and midrange. They are expensive but I thought they are worth it.

I did try to get some Shuguang WE845 but they all arrived broken or with cracks in the glass caused in my opinion by a glass support they use at the top of the valve which makes contact with the outer glass envelope of the valve. I see this as a weak spot in the design and I personally would not buy Shuguang WE845 unless they have changed that internal structure.

Height wise, I have just measured my Psvane WE845 valves and mine are all 195mm from the bottom of the metal base (not including the pins) to the top of the glass 'spike'.

PS, these are the photos that I took for the seller of the problem Shuguang WE845

1058600070_tubenumber1broken.thumb.jpg.9e3e53f7dba0f40af8d1748d7af89ac1.jpg

2063553552_tubenumber2.thumb.jpg.b395a28e73d68bbbe75ba89e22bc7111.jpg

Edited by Fourlegs
photos added

Super Wammer

As wizmax said above I use the PS Vane valves in the same amp, & while they are larger than the ones supplied with the amp they do still fit under the valve cage.

Thanks all. Just what I needed to rule out the Shuguang! 

I'm pretty sure the Psvane WE's are going to be  too tall ( as well as too expensive!) The standard issue are about 180mm not including the pins and they sit pretty close to the top of the cage.

Speedracer,

Are yours the Tiis and what do you think of them compared to the 845s that come with the amp?

Finally I will probably be buying from tubeampdoctor - anyone used them before?

Cheers

Super Wammer

The bias pot is inside my MingDas....you have to run them upside down (the valves are taller than the transformer covers too and adjust the pot that's held in place by its solid core wiring .....much buttock clenching, heavy insulated pliers etc and hold your breath too :nerves:

16 hours ago, toprepairman said:

Hate the bloody things, not the valves per se., but the voltages they run on, well over a thousand volts makes for very scary servicing of the amps.

I had a UR simply 845 amp in the late 90s, it may have gone loud for an single ended,  but I too hated the voltages.. it went within a year.. to be fair, it was not just the voltages, the 'imitation' 845 valves available then where the main reason. 

Edited by steve 57

Super Wammer
20 hours ago, Tassie said:

Speedracer,

Are yours the Tiis and what do you think of them compared to the 845s that come with the amp?

Finally I will probably be buying from tubeampdoctor - anyone used them before?

Cheers

I bought the amp with the PS Vane 845's already in it so I don't really know how much difference they made. They are the Tii's yes. I do have the originals but I haven't tried them, sorry.

Edited by Speedracer
addition.

Thanks Speedracer and for all the other comments. I think I'll probably go down the Tii route. 

I had to replace my Shuguang 845B in my Icon Audio MB845’s about a year ago as they reached end of life. After doing a bit of research I contacted Rachel at Grant Fidelity in Canada and enquired about the Psvane Tii’s (the WE replicas were too expensive and the Acme series definitely so). She mentioned that the Tii’s had reliability issues and that they stopped supplying them, replaced by the special Black version, which according to her solved the reliability issues and sounds better. Mine have been going for 12 months + (touch wood) and sound great. Very happy with them and much better than the Shuguang 845B’s my amps came with. I also feel that they are reasonable value for money

Reports on the Acme series look very promising if you feel flush

Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chivas,

I have read your valve/cable upgrade posts. Perhaps I should hold fire on the new valves and buy some AN speaker cables to go with my Js!

I'll look into the black Tiis but the aesthetics are a bit of a challenge.

Despite having an 845 here (in fact, two now, but that's another story) it's one valve type I've never experimented with, though others here have. I have four sets of 845s, but they are all the grey plate Chinese varieties. I have seen comments before similar to Nick's above about the WE 'replicas' with the glass insert. Incidentally, I used inverted commas because Western Electric never actually made an 845 valve. RCA did, but good luck with that.

People speak very highly of the Psvane WE 845s and the Acme varieties. The black plate varieties have also had good reports, but you need to be a little careful with plate current as IIRC, they can't be run quite as 'hot' as the grey plates, which are all but bullet proof.