Tassie

845 valves

As for the comments about voltages, the HT voltage on any valve power amp is more than enough to permanently spoil your day. The coroner won't care whether it was 200 volts or 1200. The outcome will almost certainly be the same.

In fact, I find 1200 volts effectively almost safer than lower, because you tend to inherently take even more care with anything into four figures. That said, the real danger with electricity is getting blase about 'relatively' low DC voltages. Anything over 50 volts needs to be taken very seriously.

Thanks Rabski,

The nearest I will ever get to the innards of the LM845 is to check the bias, adjusted via two small screws on the top plate. I assume my wife need not dust off my life policy just yet.

Thanks Chivas,
I have read your valve/cable upgrade posts. Perhaps I should hold fire on the new valves and buy some AN speaker cables to go with my Js!
I'll look into the black Tiis but the aesthetics are a bit of a challenge.

They wouldn’t be my first choice aesthetically, and I miss the glow, but in real life they’re not too bad. Mine are hidden under a valve cover in any case.

The Lexus speaker cables were a revelation, relative to my previous cables that is. I’d the combination of the speaker cables and the valves definitely made my system sound much more lush and pleasant sounding, whereas it used to be on the dry side before that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first valve amp was an 845 power.  I tried various types of 845.  Valve Art, Shuguang As and Bs.  The most exotic I tried was the KR845 which sounded pretty good while they lasted until one of those failed spectacularly and took out the amp.

On repair, I went back to the B's and was more than happy with them.  In that amplifier, there was more mileage in changing the 12BH7 and 6922 signal valves.

Euan

Super Wammer

Besides the PSvane WE series 845' I run yellow print Mullards for the signal side and PSvane Cv181 black bottle rectifiers ....they seemed far better than the Brimars normally used.