Sign in to follow this  
plasticpenguin

Cheap meats.

No, not discounted rancid bits of chicken, but cuts people tend to overlook.

I occasionally have shin of beef. Slow cooked it's lovely. Today we had Brisket, cooked almost like a Goulash with lots of Paprika, onions, a whole bulb of garlic and fresh herbs... and enough stock to make sure it's properly covered. Melt in the mouth.

• Upvote 1

Chicken wings are great, whole chickens are a nice saving too, if you're happy to break them up yourself and freeze them.

Not miles cheaper, but I've always found pork shoulder better than chops, and chicken thigh much better than chicken breast.

Edited by brystonian

My local halal butcher sells beautiful diced mutton, either bone-in or not.  My wife makes fantastic curries with it. He also has goat meat, but I haven't tried that yet.

2 hours ago, bohemian said:

My local halal butcher sells beautiful diced mutton, either bone-in or not.  My wife makes fantastic curries with it. He also has goat meat, but I haven't tried that yet.

We buy goat meat from a local supplier. No more expensive than lamb and makes a nice change.

We also like rabbit but my daughter only sees it as a fluffy bunny. Rabbit Ragu  is fabulous.

14 hours ago, brystonian said:

... chicken thigh much better than chicken breast.

Yep. Chicken thighs stuffed with pork and apple sausage meat, yum! (With skins left on, buttered and salted, so they are really crispy.)

My wife also uses chicken thigh meat in her chicken stews. Way more tasty.

Edited by chebby

As a student in the UK, back in the late 80’s to early 90’s ... cheap cuts (what I could only afford) were ... pork belly, beef shin, frozen chicken leg.

Brisket is great for stew, tastier than rump or top side. As OP says, melts in the mouth. Chick thigh is my preferred cut, not breast. Breast is just too dry. Is pork belly still cheap? Pork neck is a good cut. Can stir fry it too. Same for lamb, neck is fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chebby said:

Yep. Chicken thighs stuffed with pork and apple sausage meat, yum! (With skins left on, buttered and salted, so they are really crispy.)

That sounds fantastic. :22:

Jamie Oliver recommended blade steak in a recent YouTube.  Something I have done is to make bone broth.  Ask for 'soup bones' or a pork hock or bacon bones.  Lots of options that are regarded as off-cuts but in fact they nutritional gold because of the marrow.  Saute some onion in a pot. Garlic, ginger, spring onions optional.  Black pepper, coarsely chopped carrot and celery.  Cover with water and bring to boil and simmer for a few hours.  

On 2/24/2020 at 12:31 PM, bohemian said:

That sounds cool!:22:

I love goat’s meat. It’s also my daughters favourite meat for stew.

Love goat we've got a leg in the freezer waiting for daughter and grand daughter.

Seen a lot of onglet or hanger steak lately, getting rather too trendy and expensive.

Liver is amazing and healthy, OH has some every couple of weeks, about £1 for a good portion.

Sometimes do a slab of belly pork nearly immersed in a wine and soy based marinade; loads of crackling and a Char Siu type finish to the pork.