ChemMan

Hunting for a new Amp for the D7s.

1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

Which one is the VTL again?

image.thumb.png.63dbaaeea91b75f2ca4fa761135acaef.pngimage.png.f23cbc8e0cf894a932f92f179c1f9e6f.png 330.38 kB · 0 downloads

I'm not kidding, that was the first thing out of her mouth when I took it out of the box.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I'm not kidding, that was the first thing out of her mouth when I took it out of the box.

We know this! And we can all see why... personally I like it, personally I prefer the understated looks of the Hegel. But if the VTL wins sonically by a margin then I think we can safely presume that your wife will prefer either to the Mac...

EDIT: found it!

image.png.5e9e462755098699f2525f85798fdccb.png

Edited by TheFlash

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Just out of curiosity, do you know how much the Krell has changed over the years?  Same of the Sonus I heard which is now Olympica Nova 2?  I found a review for the VTL from 2001, so they must make changes over time?  Like with all of this MKII and what not?  The D7 is in their second iteration.

The new Sonus faber are less mellow, generally, although I thought mine were fairly vibrant when I compared them to my ATCs.  I’ve not heard newer Krell, but they always favoured a wide open sound, with plenty of drive, but maybe not the subtlest presentation.  So, when I bought mine is was lively amp with smooth speakers - a nice mix.  I’ve been less bowled over by recent Sf but have only heard them at shows.

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

EDIT: found it!

I can't get this one.  The dealer is about to stop carrying this particular model and wants rid of it, so he has offered me a pretty good discount.  So if I get it it's the microwave for sure.  The black is much nicer.

Edited by ChemMan

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I can't get this one.  The dealer is about to stop carrying this particular model and wants rid of it, so he has offered me a pretty good discount.  So if I get it it's the microwave for sure.  The black is much nicer.

I thought you were rich?

If you're not, I could collect this for you. It's not an integrated. I could look after it for you for say 10 years if necesary.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184189876556

Edited by TheFlash

6 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I thought you were rich?

If you're not, I could collect this for you. It's not an integrated. I could look after it for you for say 10 years if necesary.

The Spirit of the Wam is alive and well, I see!

2 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I thought you were rich?

I'm sure I put a disclaimer in somewhere about not being independently wealthy. That one on e-bay is the nasty power amp. Yuck.

Also, it's starting to look more and more like that because I like both amps so much, I'll just get them both.  On the third hand, if I don't sell the McIntosh soon, I'm getting nothing, but a divorce.

And maybe the worst part is that, I've been down on the Mac recently and that was silly.  For a smaller room, it's the only amp anyone would ever need: smooth, sweet, great low end and control with superb tonal authenticity.

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I'm sure I put a disclaimer in somewhere about not being independently wealthy. That one on e-bay is the nasty power amp. Yuck.

Also, it's starting to look more and more like that because I like both amps so much, I'll just get them both.  On the third hand, if I don't sell the McIntosh soon, I'm getting nothing, but a divorce.

And maybe the worst part is that, I've been down on the Mac recently and that was silly.  For a smaller room, it's the only amp anyone would ever need: smooth, sweet, great low end and control with superb tonal authenticity.

I suspect you're joking but if not, you could afford a new black IT-85 for the price of both.

That second highlighted phrase might need careful translation in some countries.

You're right. If you're not careful, all of a sudden the amp which brough you such joy 18m (?) ago is something you've already decided to step away from, whatever. The key here is the Uzzy thing: when you think you've chosen THE amp, live with it for a couple of days of extended demo (yes, I realise that means a couple of evenings when you're back at work) then revert to the Mac and you will probably hear different rather than worse... and then you're on your own!

Wow..what a great read this has been. Excellent thread again chemman :)

I have been desperately trying to reply all these days, but my chrome browser wasn't letting me add anything except " likes"

I could buy a amp solely based on your detailed listening impressions. Excellent and please keep good working going. 

I fondly hope you hunt for a streamer and separate dac next :D

• Haha 1

I will say this.  It has not mattered the genre, in A/B or A/B/A testing, the VTL always is the preference.  This was also the case last night with one of my colleagues.  We kept thinking, OK there is no way the VTL can sound better than this and then it did.  And once the VTL is playing you don't want to switch back. I'm going on four hours straight and it's still wonderful.

I can't describe exactly, but most of you have some valve experience.  That's about all I can chalk it up to -- everything just sounds a bit more real. And given that, from what I understand, tube designs increase distortion, the term "real" would be counterintuitive.  

• Like 2

Well said ..lash...…..chem has kept us boring audiofools entertained these past few years, just hope his choice,s work out for him .

• Like 2

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I will say this.  It has not mattered the genre, in A/B or A/B/A testing, the VTL always is the preference.  This was also the case last night with one of my colleagues.  We kept thinking, OK there is no way the VTL can sound better than this and then it did.  And once the VTL is playing you don't want to switch back. I'm going on four hours straight and it's still wonderful.

I can't describe exactly, but most of you have some valve experience.  That's about all I can chalk it up to -- everything just sounds a bit more real. And given that, from what I understand, tube designs increase distortion, the term "real" would be counterintuitive.  

Yeah but does it measure well? 😜 sorry for the bad joke. Pleased that you are narrowing in on a winner. Fingers cross you can get the ML and anything else critical home. And if not then it still seems that you are in to a winner. 

I don’t like to talk about products that I never heard but the dealer that I bought the Leben from said to me once that if I ever wanted to mate what I like about my Marantz and Leben the I should listen to VTL. 

• Upvote 1

For me, VTL is the valve amp, that doesn't sound like a valve amp....and yet sounds like a valve amp!

I know, I know - that sounds Irish.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

For me, VTL is the valve amp, that doesn't sound like a valve amp....and yet sounds like a valve amp!.

I know, I know - that sounds Irish.

Why could that be?

I think I know what you mean. But then again my grandmother was born in Cork.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

What model again? Don't think this one exists...

ooh you must have realised it was a typo  Sugden A21 SE .. :doh:  I thought you were the wife telling me i had odd socks on again 

• Haha 1