ChemMan

Hunting for a new Amp for the D7s.

32 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Why could that be?

I think I know what you mean. But then again my grandmother was born in Cork.

Dunno.

My Family Tree is full of Nuts.

It was an amp I put on ChemMan's radar some while back - as I felt it might provide what he felt was missing, yet retain what he likes about the Mac.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, uzzy said:

ooh you must have realised it was a typo  Sugden A21 SE .. :doh:  I thought you were the wife telling me i had odd socks on again 

Afficionados of the A21 will tell you that, despite its limitations, it's a gorgeous sounding thing; hence the usual prefix "legandary". I concur. When I heard the A21, I thought I had found my amp; when I heard the A21SE I was left unmoved. Their topologies are completley different and many Sugden fans have asked why on earth they called too different amps basically the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
On 29/02/2020 at 22:50, PhotoMax said:

Have any of you guys listened to one of the Jeff Rowland amps?

Sadly they’ve not had much coverage in the UK in recent years, as far as I can tell. Beautiful designs though.

What I really want to hear is how @ChemMan got on last night with his amps!

Edited by Nopiano

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

What I really want to hear is how @ChemMan got on last night with his amps!

Well, this thread dried up pretty quickly. 

The dealer of the VTL offered a pretty nice discount and it's too good to pass up.  I don't feel like hassling with the ML as the dealer is the least customer service oriented.  Also the ML and the Gato are going to sound close to the Hegel based on what I've already heard, and the Hegel, which I love to death, is really no match for the sound of the VTL.  

I'm putting the rest of my gear up for sale tonight, and if I can get rid of the all of it, it's possible I might just have enough for a Hegel or Gato down the road a bit. 

It's not 100% yet as it's contingent on me selling the Mac which feels slightly bittersweet now. :x

Edited by ChemMan
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I'm putting the rest of my gear up for sale tonight

Big mistake, you will get no sound out of your VTL without any speakers!!!  :nuts:

Keeping a source like your node 2 could be useful too.......

As they say, I'll get my coat.   :minikev:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bit Perfect said:

Big mistake, you will get no sound out of your VTL without any speakers!!!  :nuts:

e fashioned some new speaker out of a Keeping a source like your node 2 could be useful too.......

As they say, I'll get my coat.   :minikev:

You are right, my bad.  I've fashioned some new speakers out of coffee cans, paper towel and a magnet.  

I still would like to get rid of the old system. LS50s are in a the box and the Arcam sitting here doing not much. Got a Velodyne Sub as well.  A ready made system for someone.

Super Wammer
36 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

You are right, my bad.  I've fashioned some new speakers out of coffee cans, paper towel and a magnet.  

I still would like to get rid of the old system. LS50s are in a the box and the Arcam sitting here doing not much. Got a Velodyne Sub as well.  A ready made system for someone.

Congrats on settling on the VTL, sounds awesome.

If you want to reach several hundred targeted potential punters, you need to get yourself to Kegworth on 14-15 March. 10 mins from East Midlands airport (you’ll have to check the speakers and sub in but might get away with the A39 as hand luggage...).

:minikev:

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I've fashioned some new speakers out of coffee cans, paper towel and a magnet. 

Bayler twine dampened with your tears from watching the faithful old gear (especially the Mac) going out of the door will make good speaker cables.

Edited by Bit Perfect
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Congrats on settling on the VTL, sounds awesome.

If you want to reach several hundred targeted potential punters, you need to get yourself to Kegworth on 14-15 March. 10 mins from East Midlands airport (you’ll have to check the speakers and sub in but might get away with the A39 as hand luggage...).

:minikev:

Or I could just drive on over with car load of hifi gear and a big fat case of corona virus.  ¬¬   I mean Corona beer.

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Or I could just drive on over with car load of hifi gear and a big fat case of corona virus.  ¬¬   I mean Corona beer.

You could. This would be a good decision. You would definitely be travelling lighter on your return journey. 

Wait a minute. Scrap that, you may be introduced to the exotic local speciality the Pork Pie.

See you soon?

1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

You could. This would be a good decision. You would definitely be travelling lighter on your return journey. 

Wait a minute. Scrap that, you may be introduced to the exotic local speciality the Pork Pie.

See you soon?

It's not out of the realm of possibility given institutions of higher learning may close at any time this week. I reckon a few cases of folks with the virus that can't account for their whereabouts might do it.

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, ChemMan said:

It's not out of the realm of possibility given institutions of higher learning may close at any time this week. I reckon a few cases of folks with the virus that can't account for their whereabouts might do it.

Well you know you’ll get the warmest of welcomes. And have an absolute hoot.

2 hours ago, ChemMan said:

Well, this thread dried up pretty quickly. 

The dealer of the VTL offered a pretty nice discount and it's too good to pass up.  I don't feel like hassling with the ML as the dealer is the least customer service oriented.  Also the ML and the Gato are going to sound close to the Hegel based on what I've already heard, and the Hegel, which I love to death, is really no match for the sound of the VTL.  

I'm putting the rest of my gear up for sale tonight, and if I can get rid of the all of it, it's possible I might just have enough for a Hegel or Gato down the road a bit. 

It's not 100% yet as it's contingent on me selling the Mac which feels slightly bittersweet now. :x

Ah, over way too soon!

Seriously, congrats on your choice, perhaps give us a proper review when you've done some serious listening.

Mac