mr.me

Sealed or Ported Subwoofer

2 minutes ago, Pedro2 said:

The model/s I’m interested in are JL Audio Dominion D108 or D110. They are both sealed units and come with top notch reviews. One retailer (there are not many in the UK) has told me that if I hear a better sub at the price, I’ve got to let him know because he’s not heard better in 20 years of sales! 

Only downside is the cost. For relatively small driver size, you don’t see much change out of £1000 (D108). The upside is that the reviews all emphasise their ability to reproduce bass notes accurately and without falling into the ‘single note’ trap that some subs appear to suffer from. For me, this will be critical for a 2 channel system.

Retailers tend to be biased ;).

JL Audio subs cost a lot in part specifically because they are small, meaning they need more power and drivers capable of larger excursion to get comparable output to larger models. I've not heard a D108 but I strongly suspect that if you demoed some alternatives you'd find better for the money, particularly if you find yourself having more interest for movies in the long run. I'd make the effort to demo an alternative anyway. Unless of course the small size is an important consideration.

(The JL Audio subs I have heard have been some of their higher end models but in hifi show rooms more geared towards movie performance.)

56 minutes ago, Pedro2 said:

The upside is that the reviews all emphasise their ability to reproduce bass notes accurately and without falling into the ‘single note’ trap that some subs appear to suffer from.

Just thought I'd add that 'single-note bass' is always caused by a room mode rather than specifically the sub. To give you an idea how dominant room effects can be, here is a comparison of the raw output of my two subs, with them placed (one after the other) in the same corner, with the Monolith deliberately on it's side like in the photo above so that both drivers faced the same wall. (If the Monolith is down-firing there is more difference, due principally to the different position of the center of the driver.)

119663459_S1510vsMonolithfacingwall.jpg.8e1c169bc0bf775e7a499ff91abcf931.jpg

My 34 Hz peak is an example of what would cause 'one-note' low bass.

It seems logical that a sealed sub might slightly reduce decay times of room modes but looking at waterfall plots for my own comparison the differences are small, and the room mode effect are much more significant.

Edit: with EQ neither of my subs give a remotely 'one-note' performance.

Edited by MartinC

Thanks for the advice and the info; especially about room issues. I’m hoping that Linn’s Space magic will sort out any nasty room nodes. 

1 minute ago, Pedro2 said:

Thanks for the advice and the info; especially about room issues. I’m hoping that Linn’s Space magic will sort out any nasty room nodes. 

Ah, yes, it should definitely help :). Is there any issue of checking which subs SPACE specifically supports or is the general view that picking the closest option works well?

IME two subs are way better than one. When I bought my second I initially thought it wasn’t adding much, then I turned it off again and the bass just sounded plain wrong.

2 minutes ago, Thetiminator said:

IME two subs are way better than one. When I bought my second I initially thought it wasn’t adding much, then I turned it off again and the bass just sounded plain wrong.

Was that single sub used without any form of EQ? One advantage of two subs is it can help to give a more even bass response. 

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Was that single sub used without any form of EQ? One advantage of two subs is it can help to give a more even bass response. 

Was using EQ with both subs...

11 minutes ago, Thetiminator said:

Was using EQ with both subs...

:^

When you compared one sub to two, was this a level playing field in terms of separately optimised EQ for the one and two sub setups, and with the overall levels matched? Just checking you didn't literally just switch one sub of a pair off :).

Don't get me wrong I do think there can be advantages of two (or more) subs, but there are also advantages of one more competent sub to balance against this.

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, mr.me said:

Keith, what DSP kit are you using 

I use Behringer DCX 2496 units.  Three output channels, with your setup John you could run one channel for your full range speakers and the other two fir your subs

Not much change from a grand? You could get a pair of 15" active downfirers from IPL Acoustics and have plenty of change. I had a 12" square space in the TV unit that was begging for a sub so I went on the Kickers website (they make competition quality drivers) picked a nice 8" double mag driver and made a cab as per their recommendations. Works beautifully, all for £85. Boom. I think the important bit is to work out what will work best in your room, on that point I really can't figure how a ported cab could be quicker than a sealed cab.

Having read the above recommendations and done some reading I now have two options (based on me trading in some kit) 

1) two SVS SB1000 

2) one single REL T9i

Any comments on these would be helpful.

30 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Having read the above recommendations and done some reading I now have two options (based on me trading in some kit) 

1) two SVS SB1000 

2) one single REL T9i

Any comments on these would be helpful.

Are you able to get a home demo? 

Not sure if this was covered earlier but for info. the Rel model will behave essentially like a ported sub.

Unfortunately no home demo. Why will the REL act like a ported sub?