mr.me

Sealed or Ported Subwoofer

Just to say that I wasn't sure what I needed so I rang BK and they gave me some advice (which I took). The advice covered both which model sub to get and whether FF or DF - all based on my requirements and an explanation of my room. No harm in calling them for some free advice :)

10 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

Have to politely disagree with you on that one Martin. DF are more or less for aesthetic/practical reasons, and I beg to differ that the way a bass driver is aimed does have an effect on the way you hear and in particular feel bass. Aesthetic and practical reason yes go for DF, performance though always FF, I've read all the literature and science as well, but FF are just better. You wont see JL audio's finest or Velodynes flagships aiming their drivers at the floor, say no more. And not trying to be argumentative Martin and sorry I know you're tired :) 

You are 'allowed' to disagree :D

I currently have my 'front' firing sub pointing towards a side wall rather than towards the listening position since the measured frequency response is better but I do intend to experiment more with different orientations and listening tests in the future. I will though be surprised if there turns out to be an advantage from which way the driver is facing as distinct from where the driver is.

Regarding the likes of JL Audio only having front-firing models this may simply be for the reasons of what they think people want to buy rather than any performance difference.

I went for down firing sub just to keep the driver away from the harm.  In science terms there isn't much in it.

My tracking subs are forward facing and all my work subs are ported/vented or horn loaded.

In measurement terms sealed subs tend to have a better phase response but at the cost of more distortion when compared with ported subs. Like most things in Hi Fi,  there is no one answer. 

• Like 2

I'll just add that differences in frequency response I've seen with driver placement are bigger at higher frequencies, and so more significant for someone like me that runs a high crossover frequency compared to what you'll be using @mr.me.

At outdoor concerts/raves I been in front of the wall of 2x18 subs and behind them ... as much as it’s supposed to be omni-directional, I can feel the difference when standing in front of them. 😬

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Just phoned BK and asked their advice on a suitable sub(s) giving him the info on my system and room size. His conclusion was one XL200 sub would be best suited :dunno:

Edited by mr.me
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

At outdoor concerts/raves I been in front of the wall of 2x18 subs and behind them ... as much as it’s supposed to be omni-directional, I can feel the difference when standing in front of them. 😬

Single domestic subs are omnidirectional at low frequencies but big banks of subs for outdoor concerts won't be. The reason a single sub is omnidirectional is that the radiating area is much smaller than the wavelengths of sound at bass frequencies. Once you have lots of subs together this is no longer true :).

The other huge difference between the two examples is that outdoor concerts don't have reflections from walls that are less than a wavelength away...

9 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Just phoned BK and asked their advice on a suitable sub(s) giving him the info on my system and room size. His conclusion was one XL200 sub would be best suited :dunno:

Did they explain why? Good to see a company not overselling. Think I'd still go with an XXLS400 personally but this does go along with my point that one may be plenty.

31 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Single domestic subs are omnidirectional at low frequencies but big banks of subs for outdoor concerts won't be. The reason a single sub is omnidirectional is that the radiating area is much smaller than the wavelengths of sound at bass frequencies. Once you have lots of subs together this is no longer true :).

The other huge difference between the two examples is that outdoor concerts don't have reflections from walls that are less than a wavelength away...

I’ve been enlightened!!! 😬👍👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is so much conflicting information on this subject. I have just viewed a YouTube video on selecting a sub based on room volume and mine being close to 1500 cu ft then it suggested that I could use two 10" subwoofwers

Edited by mr.me

55 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Did they explain why? Good to see a company not overselling. Think I'd still go with an XXLS400 personally but this does go along with my point that one may be plenty.

Indeed, £340 is a lot less than £1000 - you could have two for less than £700, unless you want gloss back!

Without any clear explanation of why to go for an XLS200 I'd personally still go for an XXLS400.

Note that distortion increases as you push a sub harder, so having some unused headroom can still be beneficial.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Also PA subs tend to be crossed over at higher frequencies than domestic subs, the stack I've spent the last two days setting up has three levels of bass; mid bass, low bass and sub bass and the cross over to the flown array is around 120hz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Without any clear explanation of why to go for an XLS200 I'd personally still go for an XXLS400.

Note that distortion increases as you push a sub harder, so having some unused headroom can still be beneficial.

Not sure how I would connect the hi level inputs as it uses a speakon connector. I don't really want to use the low level as my pre only has one pair of RCA out's and I don't really want to use Y-splitters

13 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Not sure how I would connect the hi level inputs as it uses a speakon connector. I don't really want to use the low level as my pre only has one pair of RCA out's and I don't really want to use Y-splitters

The cable you'd get only has a speakon connector at the sub end. The other end has stripped wires ready to connect to your amp.