mr.me

Sealed or Ported Subwoofer

Posted (edited)

Yes, I am aware of that but having monoblocks the cable would need to altered as there are only 3 wires and I think one has to be grounded.

My amps a located next to my speakers with very short speaker cables

Edited by mr.me

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, moo-fi said:

Also PA subs tend to be crossed over at higher frequencies than domestic subs, the stack I've spent the last two days setting up has three levels of bass; mid bass, low bass and sub bass and the cross over to the flown array is around 120hz.

My 'subs' .....I think of them now as 'full range bass speakers' cross over at 180 Hz at which the original bass drivers in thevKEF 104/2's take over on mid bass duties.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, mr.me said:

Not sure how I would connect the hi level inputs as it uses a speakon connector. I don't really want to use the low level as my pre only has one pair of RCA out's and I don't really want to use Y-splitters

You've heard my system John ....and it runs y splitters to divide the preamp signal into the two dcx units .  I've not notice cede any sound degradation issues

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr.me said:

Yes, I am aware of that but having monoblocks the cable would need to altered as there are only 3 wires and I think one has to be grounded.

My amps a located next to my speakers with very short speaker cables

Ah! Yes that is an added complication and I'll be honest I don't actually know how high level connections should be used in the context of monoblocks.

Line level connections make far more sense to me and this is all I've ever used. I haven't used a cable splitter myself but I'd have thought they were fine. Unless there is something specific to valve amps that would be problematic (I know essentially nothing about them).

I used the 'orbit shifter' which is said lump. Shall I say it was a little intimidating, definitely one for big venues, though we were using four of them. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2020 at 14:10, mr.me said:

Having read the above recommendations and done some reading I now have two options (based on me trading in some kit) 

1) two SVS SB1000 

2) one single REL T9i

Any comments on these would be helpful.

I'm looking at the SVS SB1000 or the BK XLS200.   It's only for hi-fi use.

Need some advice as the SVS has a pair of high level L and R speaker inputs which can (I assume) just plug into my amp which has a pair of outputs for each channel L&R for biwiring.  Currently I'm just using one output per channel to feed PMC speakers.

I don't see that option on the BK - that seems to have a single speakon input or a single L and R phono input.  I know the BK comes with a speakon to 4 wire cable and a phono to phone cable but it doesn't say how to attach to an amp.  

What other options are there for an amp that has no sub out but has biwire capability ie two sets of speaker outs per channel?

2020-03-28 10_59_55-Window.jpg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eatapeach said:

I don't see that option on the BK - that seems to have a single speakon input or a single L and R phono input.  I know the BK comes with a speakon to 4 wire cable and a phono to phone cable but it doesn't say how to attach to an amp.  

The BK cable lets you connect to your amp in exactly the same way that you could with the SVS model.

Here's the BK manual if it helps:

https://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200 MK2 MANUAL.pdf

Edit: the SVS SB1000 is quite a bit more expensive than the XLS200, with a BK XXLS400 being the closer competitor on the performance front.

Edited by MartinC