Mad4it

Good Riddance Vinyl

In the last week I got rid of my turntable and ALL of my LPs and replaced it with a Streamer/DAC, and I feel so free in doing so. No more angst at having to pay £20+ for a new album at local HMV. No more snap crackle and pop - no more cleaning - no more static - no more getting up from sofa every 20 mins to flip sides.

It's so liberating - anyone else done the same, wishing they had the guts to do the same. You can do it! Walk 'around' the leaf - you can break away from the pack, you can!

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

:sofa:

(I've never bought any vinyl so welcome to the enlightened side of the fence!

P.s. just in case it wasn't a typo, the word is 'riddance'.)

Edited by MartinC

I use streaming too and love it but still have a turntable and my old LP's (would never buy any new ones) but my wife likes me to use the turntable occasionally "because the exercise will do you good!". Bless her, she obviously has my best interest at heart!

• Like 2

Wow! That's a brave move. I hope you stay happy with it.

I got rid of my CD player around 18 months ago when I bought a new amp, and sold it packaged with the old amp to a friend. I don't miss it, and have the safety net of two kids with systems in their rooms, so have access to  a NAD or Technics should I need them.

I could probably buy a decent streamer if I sold my TT and all the records, but I still prefer the sound... I just don't think I could bring myself to do it.

Good Luck!!!!

• Like 2

In the last week I got rid of my turntable and ALL of my LPs and replaced it with a Streamer/DAC

My sincerest condolences to you. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 15
  • Upvote 2

I am an inveterate hoarder, so even in the digital age, I still keep a turntable in my system (even if I don't play vinyl that often)!

I was a late convert to CD, only succumbing five years after the format was introduced, in 1988, when the catalyst was Deutsche Grammophon's decision not to issue further new releases on vinyl!

Since then, I have refined and enjoyed CD replay, to the extent, that it is now my optimised system source.

Since 2015, files and streaming media have joined the fray.

As much as streaming music from Tidal and Qobuz have given me access to a greater library of music and added to the convenience of listening, there is still no substitute for owning a physical copy of the recording and enjoying the tactile experience of reading the sleeve notes!

Storage remains the only problem with physical media, as my vinyl and CD collection (since the early 70's) threatens to engulf yet more shelf/floor space in my home!

The OP's choice is a brave move and I know of only one other friend who has sold their turntable, records and CD player and now relies solely on streaming music!

Edited by Snoopdog
  • Like 6

Sold all mine (LPs) -to 'Wanted Records' ,Bristol, run by an old friend. Have got all/most of my CDs Lossless downloaded onto HDD-now iMac,plus 160 gb iPod.

CDs now 'hard copy' backup store. Was a pragmatic decision as I had rarely played LPs for a decade or more, so it cleared a big space.

In fact I now have a whole hi-fi set-up I rarely use as we have made our basement a storage area as the steep stairs hazardous (in our advancing age!) for repeated use, so there's Ocellias needing relocating, etc..

fullsizeoutput_1e.jpeg

I (foolishly) sold all of my vinyl (1000+ LP's) once, to go digital, and 5 years later started building the whole collection back up again, for about 10 times what I sold it for !

I like to physically own the music, pay the artist appropriate royalties etc and everybody knows that vinyl sounds better than digital, so :nuts:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

(I've never bought any vinyl so welcome to the enlightened side of the fence!

P.s. just in case it wasn't a typo, the word is 'riddance'.)

Doh.....I am a terrible speller. But you can't edit the title once published! Idiot!

I sold my TT some years back, but can't bring myself to get rid of the records.  I have a sentimental attachment to them and also have a lot that I don't have on digital. I suspect they'll only go when I turn my toes up.

EDIT:  And never say never as I may one day get another player!

Edited by Sir_Franc
  • Like 1

In the mid 1980's I ripped all my vinyl to hard disc, sold the lot and eventually replaced everything with CD. No regrets whatsoever. 

Moving to Scotland was the trigger for me - I had a reasonable collection of LPs and an OK deck (Thorens TD160) which I hadn't made any serious use of for about 25 years before that. So much easier to plug in a CD, or later, to stream FLAC files. So when we moved Nort in 2014, I sold the deck and the LPs and spent several days ripping all of my CD collection to FLAC on a large hard drive. I still buy CDs, but they get played once when they are added to the FLAC collection, and are then consigned to the archive in the attic. I don't miss the palaver of fetching LPs out of their sleeves, or the fiddling with dust bugs, or the pops and crackles, or the warped/off-centre pressings, at all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

To each their own, and I'm glad that the OP is happy with their decision. I have no interest whatsoever in streaming, beyond the occasional use of TuneIn radio or playing my ripped CDs from my NAS in another room in the house, purely for convenience. My hi-fi remains a physical media-based system, both analogue and digital, and I don't see any likelihood of this changing in the future. 

I just popped into my local record shop (Newark, Notts) picked up a burgundy RSD Zappa for £12 and had a chat with the chap who runs it about all the RSD plastic he's getting in this year. I can barely contain myself. Enjoy the streaming, I just never seem to get round to getting one. You'll be telling us you have an amp without valves next ;-).

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, paulkebab said:

In the mid 1980's I ripped all my vinyl to hard disc,

Were hard disks for the average mortal a thing then, my first PC in late 80's had a 20meg hard disk...

I am on my third time round with vinyl, it has been flushed away twice only to return with greater vigor.

Edited by dave