JMcQueen

Bookshelf speakers for a sideboard

20 minutes ago, JMcQueen said:

Could well be. 

Just had 'the conversation' apparently we can get floor standers, providing:

a) They're either dark oak or gloss white

b) Can be moved in to the corner for when nieces/nephews come to visit or the carpet needs hoovering (so probably 20-30kg max)

Perfect, and I'm not kidding.  Fabulous speakers given your requirements.

21 minutes ago, DomT said:

Good result. Well played. Best of luck. Do you have an idea on a shortlist and price range?

Not at the moment. One of the considerations is going to have to be height. Because the arm of the speaker is quite high I dont want a tweeter/mid that is just firing in to fabric. This is my current left channel view. 

20200314_194443 (2).jpg

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, JMcQueen said:

Not at the moment. One of the considerations is going to have to be height. Because the arm of the speaker is quite high I dont want a tweeter/mid that is just firing in to fabric. This is my current left channel view. 

20200314_194443 (2).jpg

I have heard Shahinians a few times and liked them very much. Could maybe work?

Super Wammer

Larsen 4.2 :^

I suppose the factors I'm going to need to think about are connectivity and sound nature.

All of my music is digitally based (Roon or streaming) and it'd be nice to be able to control the dac/amp/whatever via the TV remote for volume so HDMI eARC would be useful. Music is techno, house that kinda thing but the GF does have more of an indie/rock leaning so they've got to be fast and dynamic.

My monitors are built using Scanspeak drivers and I really like their sound. Thats what was drawing me towards Dynaudio/Dali as (from memory of owning/listening) they were very similar. Though someone has also suggested adding Triangle to the list and they think I'd be pleasantly surprised. 

19 hours ago, JMcQueen said:

20200314_194443 (2).jpg

The arm of the sofa is probably less of an issue than you think and assuming your ear height is above the height of the arm of the sofa I wouldn't let this overly influence your choice of speakers.

Are you able to push the sofa on the left back just to see the difference? Or if not (I can see it might be linked to the bit you sit on) then perhaps it's possible to temporarily remove the padded bit of the arm?

Its not too bad with the current speakers as the tweeter is about 1m from ground level. Just concerned slightly that most towers tend to be around 1m in total height which would place the tweeter lower. The sofa is a large L so cannot really be moved back any further or to the left. 

32 minutes ago, JMcQueen said:

The sofa is a large L so cannot really be moved back any further or to the left. 

I thought it might be, hence my removing the side cushion suggestion.

My floorstanding speakers are raised up a bit on bases made from Platfoam sandwiched between granite chopping boards. I realise the look likely wouldn't work for you but I expect you could come up with something that does if you wanted to.