Jump to content

Linn’s New Circuit Boards Versus Old Circuit Boards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, I happen to be one of the UK people who have heard the differences and have been convinced enough to have upgraded!  My understanding of why's and when's of this change maybe a little dif

Yes, and 2.48m is the optimal speaker cable length...

How could a new Klimax DSM not be Katalyst?

Posted Images

If anyone can tell me if the is the new or older style of board layout and soldering etc I would be very grateful....

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JWT said:

The Katalyst upgrade I am looking at is from May 2018, if anyone does know if this would be on the new Linn machines that would be very helpful.  Or if there is an easy way to tell if you open up the exaktbox?

Correction, as the photo shows this is from January 2018.  I have read one article that suggests the machinery was installed in 2017 (as well as announced in 2017).......

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JWT said:

The Katalyst upgrade I am looking at is from May 2018, if anyone does know if this would be on the new Linn machines that would be very helpful.  Or if there is an easy way to tell if you open up the exaktbox?

I am quite certain that a May 2018 Katalyst upgrade will have been manufactured on the newer Linn fabrication machinery. Linn did not have the old fabrication equipment in place after the new equipment was installed, when I went to the factory in December 2017. We only saw the new fabrication equipment.

‘You can always check the Linn Helpline, to be certain

‘Here is the Katalyst upgrade in my Akurate Exaktbox 6. You can see the bottom of the chassis is painted black, but there is a big area that appears to be unpainted to the right of the circuit board. That is the exposed bottom of the case, because the new Katalyst circuit board is much smaller than the pre Katalyst board, allowing you to see the bigger footprint that the old board used to occupy 

FBEE0E9C-B1FD-4734-A2AC-9B91ED92BCD6.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, in the photo I posted it also looks like there is some exposed unpainted casing, good news.  I will check with the dealer and with Linn.  If it is the newer board I will buy it. If it isn't, I will probably buy it!  Thanks.  There is also a 2020 version available but it is a little more ££££....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JWT said:

Thanks, in the photo I posted it also looks like there is some exposed unpainted casing, good news.  I will check with the dealer and with Linn.  If it is the newer board I will buy it. If it isn't, I will probably buy it!  Thanks.  There is also a 2020 version available but it is a little more ££££....

It won't matter which machinery the Katalyst board was built with, it is smaller than the pre-Katalyst circuit board, so the visibility of the unpainted area doesn't indicate which machinery was used.  The main difference in the size of the board is driven by the move from 1x DAC circuits per channel to using stereo DAC circuits in the Katalyst version.

Photos here of the 10 channel and 6 channel boxex for info:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2018/04/inside-linns-akurate-exaktbox-with-and.html

Edited by sunbeamgls
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

It won't matter which machinery the Katalyst board was built with, it is smaller than the pre-Katalyst circuit board, so the visibility of the unpainted area doesn't indicate which machinery was used.  The main difference in the size of the board is driven by the move from 1x DAC circuits per channel to using stereo DAC circuits in the Katalyst version.

Photos here of the 10 channel and 6 channel boxex for info:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2018/04/inside-linns-akurate-exaktbox-with-and.html

Thanks Sunbeams, can you tell anything from the photos I posted?  I shall read you blog spot

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

It won't matter which machinery the Katalyst board was built with, it is smaller than the pre-Katalyst circuit board, so the visibility of the unpainted area doesn't indicate which machinery was used.  The main difference in the size of the board is driven by the move from 1x DAC circuits per channel to using stereo DAC circuits in the Katalyst version.

Photos here of the 10 channel and 6 channel boxex for info:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2018/04/inside-linns-akurate-exaktbox-with-and.html

all three boards from my photo and your photo and Pauls look the same to me.  I will call Linn, but Paul mentioned the new machinery was in place in December 2017 so my Jan 18 board must be one of the first.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

  

Can somebody check and post here board types for Akurate System Hub from Konfig, please?
Are there new circuit board versions in Hub?
This is board types from my /0 version of AEDSM.
 

image.png.49044d96e4b3daa1a64e7b0e7387580e.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, here’s my info from my ASH I purchased new in Feb 2021. It’s s/n 1527853.

574A4DCA-B5CD-4536-8FD1-54C6FC5E225C.jpeg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...