1 hour ago, DoomHammer said:

My KDSM is on 4.70.300 and it doesn't show an update unless I select beta. Then I see 4.75.353 and a usual warning.

Davaar 4.75.360 is an official release, so that should should show. Can you tell me the PCAS number and I'll send you a link.

I also have a problem with my brand new Selekt DSM which sounds oddly similar to yours, DoomHammer. But there are some differences. I only notice this when using the Selekt dial to change volume, it has never happened using the remote or an app to change the volume. When it happens, there is sometimes a line flashed on the Selekt display as it appears to crash. It's no longer availble on the network and all the LEDs visible inside are turned off.

All that is left to do is to switch power off and on again and then it seems to recover fine. This doesn't happen every time using the dial but often enough to try to avoid using it. I'm running it using Wi-Fi, thinking of trying switching to ethernet and see if there is a difference. I'm running the latest release firmware, 4.75.360, maybe I can try downgrading as well... I sure hope it's a software issue that Linn will sort out, and not a hardware issue.

@ElimG this sounds almost exactly as my case!

With Selekt being a fairly recent model, I'm afraid there are not many versions you can downgrade to.

Do you also have other DS(M)s on the same network?

Hm, you may have a point re firmware options. Nope, this is the only DS on the network. I also forgot to check that I’m sending crash reports to Linn..

I've update all systems to the fresh firmware. So far, no problems observed. Will keep watching. Thanks everyone for help and suggestions!

• Like 1

Hey, is there any news. I have the latest firmware and my Exakt DSM still keeps crashing and I need to turn it on and off. Is Linn on to this? At that price, it's starting to get annoying.

Regards

yazzzman

1 hour ago, yazzzman said:

and my Exakt DSM still keeps crashing and I need to turn it on and off. Is Linn on to this?

I have a KEDSM, running Davaar 76 just fine. So your issue is very likely particular to your machine, or possibly to your network. Network disconnection can produce symptoms that look like a crash; in such a case you will see a cross icon on the front panel display, indicating that the DSM has no network connection.. If you report the specific symptoms of the issue to the Linn helpline, they should be able to offer advice.

David

I contacted the  Linn Helpline as I still experience issues with reboots when using the Selekt Dial. It might be network issues that could be solved by software updates, but I got no such impression from Linn, instead a suggestion to return the Selekt to my dealer for checkup.  I haven’t tried the 76 betas yet, I’m still on 4.75.360. I haven’t done anything about it yet since the unit works fine if I avoid the dial 😳

8 hours ago, DavidHB said:

I have a KEDSM, running Davaar 76 just fine. So your issue is very likely particular to your machine, or possibly to your network. Network disconnection can produce symptoms that look like a crash; in such a case you will see a cross icon on the front panel display, indicating that the DSM has no network connection.. If you report the specific symptoms of the issue to the Linn helpline, they should be able to offer advice.

David

David, I think you were the David who once suggested that something should be suggested in router settings to help speed the UPnP plough. Was it multicast you suggested? If yes to both questions, what has worked for you. I can't ever just fire up the DSM, open kazoo (on any of my devices) and start playing. I need to toggle Wi-Fi, sometimes reboot the DSM, try another device. Given my Oppo and its software is buggy, maybe it's my flagship Asus router that is the problem?

12 hours ago, DavidHB said:

David

Hey and thanks, but my device chrashes and only shows three little dots?

Regards

I'm running 4.75.360 on my devices. All of them are DSM/DS-I with analog outs, no pure-Exakt devices here.

Still, no signs of crashes during the last two weeks. Previously crashes up to several times a day. I call this improvement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yazzzman said:

Hey and thanks, but my device crashes and only shows three little dots?

Then, yes, very possibly a crash. Is your device set to send crash reports to Linn? You can check and change this on the Configuration/Device page of Konfig. If you open the Settings page of Kazoo (the gear wheel at the bottom of the 'hamburger' menu), you will find that there is a "report to Linn" function, that enables you to draw their attention to the problem and advise you whether they have received crash reports. It's advisable to do this just after failure, so that they can pinpoint your report, if there is one.

David

7 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

David, I think you were the David who once suggested that something should be suggested in router settings to help speed the UPnP plough. Was it multicast you suggested? If yes to both questions, what has worked for you. I can't ever just fire up the DSM, open kazoo (on any of my devices) and start playing. I need to toggle Wi-Fi, sometimes reboot the DSM, try another device. Given my Oppo and its software is buggy, maybe it's my flagship Asus router that is the problem?

Yes, it was I. The specific advice was that, if your router settings include an option improbably labelled "IGMP snooping", you should disable it. More generally, if you find settings that limit multicast and/or unicast in your router, you should try to reduce or even eliminate those restrictions. the UPnP Av streaming protocol (of which DS(M)s use a Linn-developed but open source variant called OpenHome) is heavily dependant on broadcast messaging, and routers often have settings which inhibit it. Some routers also have different settings for wired and wireless connections. Sometimes it is worth seeing whether something that won't work on Wi-Fi will fire up on Ethernet. I install Kazoo on all my PCs for just this purpose.

All routers are different, and they are typically documented in gobbledygook or not at all. Sometimes trying to find the relevant setting(s) is a lost cause.One easy trick that works often enough to be worth a try is to power down the whole network and everything connected to it and then power it up progressively, starting with the router, then any switches, wireless access points and other network components, and finally the connected devices one by one, making sure that each is working before you go on to the next one. This can help the devices to play nicely together. It can also help to avoid conflicts if you give as many of your Ethernet connected devices as possible fixed or reserved IP addresses. Windows, for instance, has a setting that allows it to use a fixed IP address and bypass DHCP. DS(M)s do not have this capability, but you can usually set a reserved IP address for their MAC address (obtainable in Konfig) in the DHCP settings page of the router.

I hope that these ideas provide some useful pointers. Keeping networks working properly is a big, diffuse and often frustrating subject.

David

• Upvote 1

IGMP wasn't on. Photo attached of the multicast rate which was set at auto. Should it stay auto? Anything else on that list to try?

20200405_040335.jpg

Posted (edited)

This is another tab found with redundant settings? But no multicast on here....? Should I enable or disable (currently off) the game boost functions? To me it's probably only boosting latency on ports Linn wouldn't use?

20200405_041559_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jail4CEOs2