mr neds

stands for Dynaudio Emit 20?

Recommended Posts

Hi all. Bought Gary's Dyns, which should be arriving today. The Dynaudio stands look lovely, but are stupidly expensive. I'm gonna try them on my Concept 20 stands, but the top plate is a bit narrow. I've also got a pair of Atacama SE 24's that I got from the kindly Petevid last year. Any other suggestions? Cheap ones, please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your usual diligent research, Uz! What I meant was, are there any stands that work particularly well with Dynaudios? I've got some old Sound Organisation frame stands in the cellar somewhere, just in case, but as Dynaudio's  own ones are pillars, I doubt if they're the preferred type. The Atacamas on the Bay are the same as the ones I've got, but they're a bit prosaic in appearance ¬¬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Thanks for your usual diligent research, Uz! What I meant was, are there any stands that work particularly well with Dynaudios? I've got some old Sound Organisation frame stands in the cellar somewhere, just in case, but as Dynaudio's  own ones are pillars, I doubt if they're the preferred type. The Atacamas on the Bay are the same as the ones I've got, but they're a bit prosaic in appearance ¬¬

You said you wanted cheap .. most stands work well with speakers like the Dynaudios that are well constructed and the cabinets are very solid and do not vibrate much (IMO). 

What you need is a nice solid stand (if you can fill it with sand or these things https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/atacama-smd-z-7-5hd-atabites-speaker-stands-filler?gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBRBxEiwA-EECLOBjZmiazaqpYcSd17VE_1DCRlYw8oc4kXPTKalj9SslDsngZUtuaBoCFygQAvD_BwE )    If you go for wooden ones they need to be nice and heavy.  Not just for sound quality but to keep a low centre of gravity so they do not get knocked over.

As to your Atacama stand - you could vinyl wrap or respray it a nice colour to blend in with the room.   Another thing to try is to see if someone close makes concrete bird table stands .. if they do ask them to knock you up one with a flat top (not a bath) to stand loudspeakers on.  (Or go to the glass merchant and get some mirrors cut to size to glue to the each side of the triangular upright) 

Speaker manufacturers will make matching stands in some cases - as to whether the sound will be better well your guess is as good as mine .. my cynical view is they are overly priced but make em money as they match the loudspeaker (in which case why didn't the punter just buy a pair of floor standers with a similar footprint)  but hey ho you pays your money and make your choice. 

Edited by uzzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree about overpricing. I'd never have paid £200 for the Concept 20 stands, but £100 ex display seemed ok. I really like the look of them, but, whilst the top plate is deep, it's not very wide. Atabites have always seemed very expensive for a bucket of metal shavings. I might go for the cat litter option- cheap and cheerful- or kiln dried sand, which still seems reasonable. The yanks seem keen on Play sand, but it seems to have some moisture in it here? Yes, a respray is an option, if only the columns didn't look like the legs from a home made robot! I'm also now trying to picture my wife's face when I show her the pair of bird baths in our living room :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Agree about overpricing. I'd never have paid £200 for the Concept 20 stands, but £100 ex display seemed ok. I really like the look of them, but, whilst the top plate is deep, it's not very wide. Atabites have always seemed very expensive for a bucket of metal shavings. I might go for the cat litter option- cheap and cheerful- or kiln dried sand, which still seems reasonable. The yanks seem keen on Play sand, but it seems to have some moisture in it here? Yes, a respray is an option, if only the columns didn't look like the legs from a home made robot! I'm also now trying to picture my wife's face when I show her the pair of bird baths in our living room :P

Try lead shot -  bit more expensive than sand but will not seep out of the cracks lol  https://www.theleadweightcompany.co.uk/lead-shot-ballast/variable-lead-shot-0.3-1.6mm-diameter-priced-per-kg?gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBRBxEiwA-EECLOTtb6bSxGIExR0pUTDCyNpYaS20vX9OfhzSRDccey4XrG-aRRSlCRoC710QAvD_BwE

Aye but they would have flat tops and not a bird bath   and I will say again measure the forward facing sides of the triangular upright  of the stands you have and glue mirrors to it .. lol 

Edited by uzzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you fancy a DIY option, in the dim and distant past I made a turntable stand from these concrete edging profiles. 3 of these fixed around a central core made from plastic pipe work of appropriate diameter will create a heavy, inert (and unique!) stand.

Reckon you could paint them fairly effectively if the industrial look is not your thing

 https://www.wickes.co.uk/Marshalls-Round-Smooth-Edging-Stone---White-600-x-150-x-50mm/p/220357

Edited by lostwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First a bird bath, now a vertical kerb! Thanks, but I’m not going for the garden centre look! Now I’ve got the Dyns , they seem to sit quite nicely on the Concept stands, if a bit too high. Bit of a presentation change, mind you..............

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
2 hours ago, mr neds said:

£7.50 per kilo? I think perhaps the cat litter......................................................

It depends how many kilos of cat liter you can fit in the stand I guess .. there is a limited literage of space .. and so it might be cheap but the weight might end up being too light?  I dunno been years since I used stands with sand in em -  Work out how much space you have to fill and then use the heaviest substance you can buy cheaply .. sugar springs to mind it is heavy and dense and about a £0.69 a kilo in Tesco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mr neds said:

Still trying to imagine your turntable stand- any pictures?;)

I would have to dig out the negatives as it was well before digital cameras.

The edging is quite sculptural in it’s own way and you did ask for both cheap and not prosaic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the cat litter is to deaden the stand, not weight it. The Atacama are pretty bloody heavy when unfilled, but they ring like a gong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mr neds said:

I think the cat litter is to deaden the stand, not weight it. The Atacama are pretty bloody heavy when unfilled, but they ring like a gong

It does both, not sure of the weight I used in my stands, maybe 10 kgs cant remember now. It is only £1.55 in Asda for 10kgs. I have used cat litter for about 6 years now with no issues even when I moved house. Or you can buy sand from a builders merchant but you may have to dry it first. I would not use sugar, it may attract pests. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.