8 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Bearing swap implies new springs and adjusting them, I assume? So if the LP12 wasn‘t fine-tuned before the update, chances are whatever is recorded is not (only) due to the bearing.

Note that I described the recordings as "a bit of light relief". The page makes it clear that they were done for amusement, not serious comparison.

8 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

In any case 24/192 songcorder recordings instead of iphone mic would be interesting...

So it would. If anyone knows how to achieve such a thing in current circumstances, I'm sure we'd all want to hear from them.

David

Edited by DavidHB

It was a one year old deck but yes springs, grommets and latest nuts, washers fitted so like for like. Which reminds me Cirkus for sale.

9 minutes ago, Nrwatson said:

SW ?

Software. To wit, Songcorder.

David

Thank you david 

In medicine we are encourage to avoid abbreviation as mistakes have happened !!

thought if I pointed in a south westerly direction it would happen automatically 😂

16 minutes ago, Nrwatson said:

Thank you david 

In medicine we are encourage to avoid abbreviation as mistakes have happened !!

thought if I pointed in a south westerly direction it would happen automatically 😂

I wasn’t aware that anybody could read a Doctor’s writing 😉

• Haha 2

I confess that I'm quite proficient in the use of Songcorder. So if Linn cared to visit me with a couple of different LP12 configurations, I could easily record the differences to the benefit of all of us. The dram is on the house!

Just kidding ;-)

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

15 hours ago, DavidHB said:

https://www.hiddensystems.co.uk/new-blog

you can too. Did I hear a difference, even through the distinctly Lo-fi 2.1 speakers attached to my desktop PC? Well, funnily enough, I thought I did. But perhaps it was just wishful thinking.

David

Hi and thanks for this. I'm lucky to have a Band&Olufsen sound system on my HP Elitebook 400 GBP (?) laptop. But even with this one easily instantly hear more of the piano notes from the start of the second track compared to the fist one. Also when the saxophone kicks inn the sound is significantly deeper lower Hz compared to Cirkus. And it just gets better. Looking forward to Linn start shipping again.

3 hours ago, formann said:

Hi and thanks for this. I'm lucky to have a Band&Olufsen sound system on my HP Elitebook 400 GBP (?) laptop. But even with this one easily instantly hear more of the piano notes from the start of the second track compared to the fist one. Also when the saxophone kicks inn the sound is significantly deeper lower Hz compared to Cirkus. And it just gets better. Looking forward to Linn start shipping again.

That's interesting. Chris sent me the original .m4a files from his iPhone. They won't play on a DS(M) and transcoding through MinimStreamer/FFMPEG doesn't work properly either (trust crApple to make life hard for people who don't do things their way), so I converted them to WAV16 to play them through my main system. All things considered, they sounded remarkably good, though, I was soon reminded, nothing like as good as the original reproduction from the LP12.

I definitely heard differences along the lines you described, though I cannot swear that it was not the result of, for instance, a slight change of microphone position between the recordings. This is only a bit of fun, after all. I did think that I was hearing more silence between the notes, while (perhaps paradoxically) the effect was a bit smoother with better continuity. So I remain on full 'wishful thinking' alert. That said, if a "test" as crude as this reveals detectable differences between the two bearings, then Karousel is likely to be a very worthwhile upgrade.

David

Edited by DavidHB

I love my new Karousel. 🎶😊👍 Best upgrade since Klimax Radikal. And after that there was Keel, Ekos SE and Kandid instead of Kore, Akito 2b and Benz Ace Sl.

• Like 3

I'm wondering if the bottom cap on the Karousel gets torqued as well as the main fixing.?

Or what happens if it's removed for oil change or service.?

Glad to read some first hand experience I wonder what percentage scale of improvement it is in comparison too.?

Call me Bamber starter for 10.:whistle::sofa:

5 hours ago, Mr Kandid said:

I'm wondering if the bottom cap on the Karousel gets torqued as well as the main fixing.?

Or what happens if it's removed for oil change or service.?

Glad to read some first hand experience I wonder what percentage scale of improvement it is in comparison too.?

Call me Bamber starter for 10.:whistle::sofa:

According to the rather excellent Ripcaster Zoom seesion this week the bottom cap comes "pre-torqued".

49 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

According to the rather excellent Ripcaster Zoom seesion this week the bottom cap comes "pre-torqued".

Thanks for that I don't do Zoom or Facebook.

Although it comes pre torqued then what's the benefit of it being removable if it's not common knowledge how to reassemble.?

Sorry if it looks like this is creating more questions than answers.

2 hours ago, Mr Kandid said:

Thanks for that I don't do Zoom or Facebook.

Although it comes pre torqued then what's the benefit of it being removable if it's not common knowledge how to reassemble.?

Sorry if it looks like this is creating more questions than answers.

Not common knowledge, unless you are a Linn dealer.