11 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

Damn! If I’d have waited a bit for my upgrades I could have got Karousel for free! ¬¬

Sounds like it's time for an Ekos SE, and a free Karousel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

STOP IT!! :P

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Or Akubariks😊👍🎵🎶🎶🎵

• Sad 1

Last night in Seattle Definitive Audio held its "Music Matters" event, an invite only party with booze, catered food and a whole bunch of killer high end audio products. Exhibitors included Sonus Faber, Audio Research, dCS, Clear Audio, Bowers & Wilkins, Linn, Nad, Wilson Audio, McIntosh, Dan D'Agostino, Dali and others.. Dan D'Agistono was there himself.

So was Gilad Tiefenbrun, Managing Director of Linn Products. Gilaad (along with Gordon Inch) who did this A:B presentation between the current Cirkus and Karousel bearings with two identical Klimax level LP12 tables. I shot a few phone photos (with my massively bandaged right thumb). This was the very first time any members of the public (anywhere) have seen this new bearing. The entire focus was this new Karousel with zero time devoted to any other Linn product.

The two LP12s, one with the brand new white plinth, were feeding active Akubarik speakers. They played the same varied bits of music on both tables so your could hear the difference the new Karousel makes. Both sounded excellent to my ears, but if I owned a LP12 at this level and my bearing was several years old I would MOST DEFINITELY upgrade. Gordon played this 40-year-old album, purchased at a flee market for £5, and it still sounded great.

On display with the new bearing were the two previous vintages of bearings. The new one looks significantly heavier and more "fancy". It made a loud pop sound when removed from the main platter, the tolerances are that tight.

We then moved to the next room and listened to the new $25,000 Clear Audio table, the Innovation, which looks like a model ocean oil rig. Powering this was high end tube based Audio Research amps and preamps and Sonus Faber Olympica Nova V speakers. Lovely, full rich sound from this expensive combo but I think I preferred the Linn system in the previous room. Just a more relaxed "not trying to hard" sound? (I am terrible with sound adjectives).

There was lots of other kit to see and listen to. But all of this stuff will remain set up for weeks so I plan on stopping by at Definitive Audio again to spend some tire kicking time without the crowd. 

LP12_4.thumb.jpg.d10558f1d20921b4a058d65d6d7a0cf3.jpgLP12_3.thumb.jpg.3f315cc29d95f5a0cbda69f0b0c4f1a7.jpgLP12_2.thumb.jpg.8338d0a59e723dd8c825bfe51ef58308.jpg

LP12_1.thumb.jpg.5c4283c1a59c0f79cd0864d511548fcc.jpg

Edited by PhotoMax
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, PhotoMax said:

Last night in Seattle Definitive Audio held its "Music Matters" event, an invite only party with booze, catered food and a whole bunch of killer high end audio products. Exhibitors included Sonus Faber, Audio Research, dCS, Clear Audio, Bowers & Wilkins, Linn, Nad, Wilson Audio, McIntosh, Dan D'Agostino, Dali and others.. Dan D'Agistono was there himself.

So was Gilad Tiefenbrun, Managing Director of Linn Products. Gilaad (along with Gordon Inch) did this A:B presentation between the current Cirkus and Karousel bearings with two identical Klimax level LP12 tables. I shot a few phone photos (with my massively bandaged right thumb). This was the very first time any members of the public (anywhere) have seen this new bearing. The entire focus was this new Karousel with zero time devoted to any other Linn product.

The two LP12s, one with the brand new white plinth, were feeding active Akubarik speakers. They played the same varied bits of music on both tables so your could hear the difference the new Karousel makes. Both sounded excellent to my ears, but if I owned a LP12 at this level and my bearing was several years old I would MOST DEFINITELY upgrade. Gordon played this 40-year-old album, purchased at a flee market for £5, and it still sounded great.

On display with the new bearing were the two previous vintages of bearings. The new one looks significantly heavier and more "fancy". It made a loud pop sound when removed from the main platter, the tolerances are that tight.

We then moved to the next room and listened to the new $25,000 Clear Audio table, the Innovation, which looks like a model ocean oil rig. Powering this was high end tube based Audio Research amps and preamps and Sonus Faber Olympica Nova V speakers. Lovely, full rich sound from this expensive combo But I think I preferred the Linn system in the previous room. Just a more relaxed "not trying to hard" sound? (I am terrible with sound adjectives).

There was lots of other kit to see and listen to. But all of this stuff will remain set up for weeks so I plan on stopping by at Definitive Audio again to spend some tire kicking time without the crowd. 

LP12_4.thumb.jpg.d10558f1d20921b4a058d65d6d7a0cf3.jpgLP12_3.thumb.jpg.3f315cc29d95f5a0cbda69f0b0c4f1a7.jpgLP12_2.thumb.jpg.8338d0a59e723dd8c825bfe51ef58308.jpg

LP12_1.thumb.jpg.5c4283c1a59c0f79cd0864d511548fcc.jpg

Great pics!

Great report, Max. Many thanks. In comparison with its predecessors, Karousel looks as though a fair amount of engineering has gone into ist design and construction.

As I mistakenly posted in another thread, my dealer already has the Karousel on order, and I have put my name down for one. I'm breaking my rule of not buying anything before hearing it, but I reckon that, with a near Klimax standard deck, it makes no sense not to fit an upgraded bearing.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Upvote 1

I got to chat with Gordon after the demo. What a fun guy! He highlighted how many years he has worked at Linn, working his way up from the shop floor. "I now travel the world, to strange countries, like this one..." Just too funny...

xD

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Max, Thank you for your report. I wasn't invited so I guess I didn't make the cut, haven't spent enough money at Definitive just yet. I do plan on stopping by to casually peruse the goods.

5 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Max, Thank you for your report. I wasn't invited so I guess I didn't make the cut, haven't spent enough money at Definitive just yet. I do plan on stopping by to casually peruse the goods.

Let me know. Maybe we can grab a beer this time...

• Like 1

Thanks for the report and photos PM.  The one comparing the 3 bearings is particularly revealling!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

In comparison with its predecessors, Karousel looks as though a fair amount of engineering has gone into ist design and construction.

They talked about that: microns, amazing tight tolerances, materials, and how much repeat testing goes into developing something that to the average eye appears to be so simple looking...

When looking at the photo with the three bearings: does the new Karousel no longer need oil?

48 minutes ago, PhotoMax said:

Let me know. Maybe we can grab a beer this time...

As it turns out, my not being invited was an oversight. I just got an email from Definitive Audio saying so, and I got an invitation for this evening's event. So, I'll be in Seattle tonight. I'll also be going within the next couple of months in order to get the Kandid and Karousel. Let's get together soon.

• Like 1

Reply with your questions about the Karousel, and I will ask Gilad and Gordon this evening.

1) Does it need oil?

Edit: Wait a minute, I'm a mechanical engineer. I'd better ask that one carefully.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Haha 1