:geek:

Interested to see opinions on this, unfortunately I upgraded to Lingo4 in January, before this was announced.

If available I'd have been more inclined to up my spend for the current offer, ahh well..

Edited by Ian_km

You could always ask your dealer if they would give you a good trade-in to allow for a Radikal and free Karousel purchase.  They might be inclined to be generous.

• Upvote 1

In case anyone is wondering, my Karousel and Kandid were, as previously advertised, duly fitted today. I will report in due course. For now, I'm jsut listening, which, if Linn are to be believed, is what I'm supposed to do.

David

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

In case anyone is wondering, my Karousel and Kandid were, as previously advertised, duly fitted today. I will report in due course. For now, I'm jsut listening, which, if Linn are to be believed, is what I'm supposed to do.

David

What a tease I'm waiting patiently for a decent in depth review about this.

Now I have to wait more Damn.:whistle:

16 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

What a tease I'm waiting patiently for a decent in depth review about this.

Now I have to wait more Damn.:whistle:

An "in depth review" does rather require me to do some listening first ;-)

David 

Edited by DavidHB

Well, two days after my upgrade, I'm able to make an initial report. Not a "review"; I don't do those. And "initial" because the Kandid and the Karousel have some running in to do yet (the latter perhaps rather more than the former). Moreover, with apologies to @Mr Kandid, this post will be about the upgrading process; in a later post I shall describe how I think that the sound quality of the system has changed..

By way of a preamble, I should make it clear that all the dreary but necessary COVID-19 rules and precautions were followed during the visit by Chris of Hidden Systems. It is of course an interesting question as to whether home installation or a shop visit is the safer option; I think that, while you obviously have to be super-disciplined about everything, the home installation is at least in a more controlled environment. I was able to provide a separate room for Chris to work in, with a good stout table which provided proper support for the LP12 jig. And Charis and I could take coffee and lunch breaks out of doors, which was also a safety plus. Chris's approach was to take the LP12 away to the jig, do the work, then reinstall the deck and test the deck and give it a thorough wipe down before I went anywhere near it.

This approach did have its downside. For one thing, I couldn't watch the work being done, though I have seen LP12s being dismantled and rebuilt a fair few times before. I do know, however, that Chris fitted all the parts (new springs, grommets etc.) that came with the Karousel kit. It's not that there was necessarily anything wrong with the old parts, but Chris's approach (which makes sense to me) is that if Linn supply a kit of compatible parts, you should fit them all and not pick and mix between old and new. 

The pictures posted earlier in this topic (Page 14 or thereabouts IIRC) give a good idea what the bearing looks like. Chris did however draw my attention to one interesting point. The three lugs on the upper face of the bearing housing 'platform' engage with the three holes on the Keel formerly used for the Cirkus fixing screws, and presumably fit in a similar way to the Kore and the standard sub-chassis. The lugs are slightly smaller than the holes, so there is a slight amount of play, perhaps to avoid fitting issues between parts that could have been made at very different times (keeping manufacturing tolerances consistent and correct is a challenge in any machine shop). As the holes are equidistant around the bearing mounting hole, the play is in effect rotational, and so has little or no effect on the key bearing to arm mounting distance. Just another sign that Karousel was not thought up in an afternoon, but is the product of a lengthy and detailed design process.

Another downside of the time and COVID-19 constraints was that it was not possible to fit and listen separately to the Karousel and the Kandid, as that would have required dismantling and reassembling the deck twice over. Form my perspective, that was not such a big issue, as I have in the past heard an LP12 standard deck with a Cirkus and a Kandid in my system. So, to an extent, I knew what to expect from the Kandid. The really interesting question was: what would the Karousel deliver?

One innovation, at least for me, was my decision to do some recording from the LP12, both before and after the upgrade, to facilitate A-B-A comparisons and the like, but mainly to some sort of test to see if initial impressions were confirmed days later. Recording is time-consuming, but I have managed to produce three full albums (two classical, one pop) in 'before' and 'after' versions. I deliberately chose albums that I have owned since well before the digital era and which I listen to often. Older recordings tend to be my primary use case for the LP12, so the choice made sense from that perspective as well. The three recordings are a mixed album by the Academy of St Martin in the Fields (actually from the time when it still had hyphens in its name!), the Bolshoi Theatre recording of the Bizet-Shchedrin Carmen Ballet conducted by Rozhdestvensky (fantastic percussion!), and  L.A. Woman by The Doors (which was at one time a "Linn Lounge" favourite). The time spent in recording the 'after' versions of this material and listening to it and other music is what has kept me off the forum for 48 hours. Incidentally, I plan to start a separate thread on recording from the LP12 (unless someone else beats me to it). It makes sense, I think, to keep discussion here focused on the Karousel and our experience with it.

I think that Chris, to whom I am as ever grateful for his efforts, was satisfied with his day's work as he left for the ferry, bearing (sorry!) a rather forlorn Cirkus into an uncertain future. For my part, I was very happy with the way the day had gone. I'm off to do some more listening, before I report on the way my upgraded, now fully Klimax, spec. LP12 is performing.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@DavidHB

Great write up and very informative I look forward with green eyes to the following conclusions patience permitting. :whistle:B|

image.jpeg

Edited by Mr Kandid

I'm still listening. And in a bit I'm going out to see my grandchildren (at a suitable distance). So here's a picture to keep the conversation going. The hair visible (ahem) adjacent to the stylus has since been removed :) .

David

1582606189_200607_114004_G1XMarkII_110-1510_LR_small.jpg.27c3463f23528ecf57cba97567bf4533.jpg

Edited by DavidHB

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5168    A poll over on Lejonklou Forum

3 hours ago, Hidden Systems said:

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5168    A poll over on Lejonklou Forum

I’ve just voted on the ‘ordered but not yet fitted’ option!

No “ interested but haven’t pulled the trigger yet “ option. 

Done the wicked deed and loving it didn’t see that optionB|

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nrwatson said:

Done the wicked deed and loving it didn’t see that optionB|

Glad you love it and thank you for trusting in me without having to drive up the M1:S I'd like to revisit the torque settings for you FOC