1 hour ago, ThomasOK said:

I'm with you akamatsu.  I fell in love with "The Wee Small Hours" album by Frank Sinatra a while before I got the Karousel.  I was always caught up in that track but the next one, "Mood Indigo" didn't sound quite right to me.  It just felt like it wasn't a great Frank Sinatra song.  Add in the Karousel and "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" just grabs you by the throat and "Mood Indigo" now sounds wonderful.  The extra information the Karousel allows you to hear just brings so much more to the music that pieces you weren't quite happy with before are now very enjoyable.

That particular Sinatra song (and LP) is one of the gems of my collection - an original, very clean mono US Capitol.  Frank's voice is demonstration quality.  It's one of his best performances.  Just gorgeous. Can't wait to play it on the new Karouseled and Lingo 4 turntable that sounds really great so far.   Rock solid and organic and clean sounding,   Definitely just deeper silences and space between notes and everything sounds like an LP 12 just more of it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mskaye said:

That particular Sinatra song (and LP) is one of the gems of my collection - an original, very clean mono US Capitol.  Frank's voice is demonstration quality.  It's one of his best performances.  Just gorgeous. Can't wait to play it on the new Karouseled and Lingo 4 turntable that sounds really great so far.   Rock solid and organic and clean sounding,   Definitely just deeper silences and space between notes and everything sounds like an LP 12 just more of it.  

A coincidence that two of you mention “In the wee small hours”.  At the last Hi-Fi Show I attended in Feb 2019, in Bristol (England), the ATC guy played a mono copy of this. He told the tale how he’d bought it in Tower Records in New York for 99 cents.  I listen to it often on Qobuz now!

58 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

A coincidence that two of you mention “In the wee small hours”.  At the last Hi-Fi Show I attended in Feb 2019, in Bristol (England), the ATC guy played a mono copy of this. He told the tale how he’d bought it in Tower Records in New York for 99 cents.  I listen to it often on Qobuz now!

One of my favorite Sinatra heart wrenchers.

I had planned on using it as a mainstay in my Lejonklou room at the Axpona Hi-Fi show last April before the world got turned upside down.  I was really looking forward to that show as not only were we going to introduce the Lejonklou Entity MC phono stage to the US market, but Linn was going to participate in my room at the first US Hi-Fi show to demonstrate the Karousel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Earlier today I visited Colin Macey at What You See and Hear, todrop my LP12 off and to have a listen to two Akurate LP12s, one with Cirkus, the other Karousel. 
The rest of the kit was:-

Lejonklou Entity MC phono stage.

Naim Supernait 3 amplifier.

Kudos Cardea Super 20A loudspeakers.

Tracks used were:-
Good Morning Schoolgirl from Muddy Waters Folk Singer. 1977 issue.
Blue & Boogie from  Dizzie Gillespie with the Mitchell Ruff Duo, Enduring Magic, (Live 1986).
Seven AM from Hats. The Blue Nile 1989. 
Complete from Counceltation by The Curtis Counce Group. 1972  reissue. Original recording 1956.

Even with a poorly ear (I can currently only hear clearly from my right ear, a thankfully temporary situation) the improvement was obvious. All tracks used demonstrated the improvement, but for me it was the Dizzy Gillespie one that illustrated it most clearly - at the start of the track, he’s playing solo, and on the deck with Karousel it was clear he was playing to a rhythm, something I had to strain to hear on the Cirkus deck.

I was unfamiliar with most of the kit used but it all made for a very enjoyable system, and one which made music in a way I could happily live with.

144674C9-CCF4-4AEF-BC81-B377FCB93551.jpeg

116D3A7F-3264-4A5B-90E1-CC974527CF10.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MickC said:

116D3A7F-3264-4A5B-90E1-CC974527CF10.jpeg

The plinths were of different wood. I'm afraid that invalidates the comparison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

And one LP12 is on the right, the other on the left. A very unfair comparison.

Please fix it.

In the meanwhile I listen to my own Karousel 🎼: Milt Jackson and the Monty Alexander Trio “Soul Fusion” on Pablo Records.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

...and one was further north than the other, too! #TinFoilHat

• Haha 2

Both records work very well with the Karousel. I guess you can play the two records on both the left and right LP12.

8C6D479F-5272-4DFA-937C-8921FD288EA7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guzziboy said:

And more to the point, one is much closer to the speakers.  I’m sure that was the Karousel one?! ;-)

(Seeing those LP sleeves propped up like that made me wince. Then I remembered how trashed the records were in the Hifi shop I used to work in every Saturday. Somehow being played all day seem to improve them, bizarrely!)

On 14/07/2020 at 19:47, akamatsu said:

Last night, I played an album that wasn't one of my favourites. Well, it is now! It is so amazing how a better turntable makes for better music.

Same here!

Browsing through my records I found an album, that I could not relate to at all. I could not remember the name of the group, I could not remember the title of the album. I coul not remember when, where and why I bought it. It might as well have been smuggled into my record shelf by extraterrestials, to make an behavioural experiment with this human item.

The more plausible reason: Apperently I bought it, heard it once, wasn't too enthusiastic about it, put it into the shelf (file under 't'), and completely forgot it.

Well, it just was awesome on my upgraded LP12!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 2

On 14/07/2020 at 16:47, Tendaberry said:

The new top plate may already be here ;) When my dealer built my new LP12 at the end of April, he noted that the top plate seemed different to previous ones. It has a different surface finish. So let's wait and see, but I admit, it would be the next logical step.

According to our mutual dealer, your old LP12's top-plate was much rougher than my LP12's top plate, which still is like brushed metal in comparison to the slick top-plate of a new LP12. Something is happening there!

2 hours ago, Ben Webster said:
2 hours ago, Guzziboy said:

And one LP12 is on the right, the other on the left. A very unfair comparison.

Please fix it.

In the meanwhile I listen to my own Karousel 🎼: Milt Jackson and the Monty Alexander Trio “Soul Fusion” on Pablo Records.

More important is that there is a Linn piece on the bottom of one of the LP12 racks and a Naim piece on the bottom of the other.  That will certainly throw things off!

• Haha 2

But the main difference is: there is no record on the right LP12. So there is a big advantage for the left one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1