4 hours ago, Harbie said:

Don't.

Please, leave that pre cirkus crappy sub-chassis to the dealer and get the latest majik if you cannot stretch to the Kore.

one way or another I will make sure it doesn’t stay in my LP12!

I will either see if my dealer has a Cirkus sub-chassis or if I’m really lucky, a used Kore, you never know, he may have traded one in for a Keel. At a push, I may go for a new Kore, I’ll see. 

• Like 2

I received my Karousel kit today. Looking at the quality of the bearing and the machining of all the pieces, it is pretty evident to me that Linn has hit one out of the park! One can easily see where the cost of the parts has been spent. Very impressive indeed. Now to get it mounted.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AndyS said:

one way or another I will make sure it doesn’t stay in my LP12!

I will either see if my dealer has a Cirkus sub-chassis or if I’m really lucky, a used Kore, you never know, he may have traded one in for a Keel. At a push, I may go for a new Kore, I’ll see. 

I hope you do the right choice and be lucky enough to source a Kore 

A ,majik subchassis is a huge development; ie. essentially a Kore bar the aluminium armboard (retrofittable, I was told)I wouldn't ever fit a Karousel below that standard.

Good luck!

51 minutes ago, Harbie said:

A ,majik subchassis is a huge development; ie. essentially a Kore bar the aluminium armboard (retrofittable, I was told)I wouldn't ever fit a Karousel below that standard.

I don't think it is correct information you have got there. AFAIK Linn will not rebuild a Majik subchassis to a Kore.

I have never heard that the Majik sub-chassis can be upgraded to a Kore by replacement of the armboard, and I highly doubt it.  The Kore armboard is fused to the sub-chassis with a special epoxy before the entire unit is painted, so it doesn't sound practical to me.

The Majik is a nice sub-chassis but I really feel the Kore is a lot more.  If you buy the Majik and later want to upgrade to a Kore or Keel you will only get a fraction of what you paid back.  If you buy a used Cirkus sub-chassis you will likely be able to resell it for about what you paid for it if and when you decide to take it to the next level.  This is why I made this recommendation.

Edited by ThomasOK
Two misspellings, not my usual level of proofreading.
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

I have never heard that the Majik sub-chassis can be upgraded to a Kore by replacement of the armboard, and I highly doubt it.  The Kore armboard is fused to the sub-chassis with a special epoxy before the entire unit is painted, so it doesn't sound practical to me.

The Majik is a nice sub-chassis but I really feel the Kore is a lot more.  If you buy the Majik and later want to upgrade to a Kore or Keel you will only get a fraction of what you paifd back.  If you buy a used Cirkus sub-chassis you will likely be able to resell it fro about what you paid for it if and when you decide to take it to the next level.  This is why I made this recommendation.

Somebody reported here the news shame I didn't enquire first.

As for Majik vs. Cirkus I think it's false economy ,both can be sourced used I paid mine 175 quids and expect to get around that figure if I want to upgrade. A 90's cirkus at around half that figure is a really poor price/performance ratio sub especially if used in conjunction with a karousel.

Mine is not the perspective of a dealer who has to recycle and sell

Looking into getting the Karousel installed along with another upgrade to cut down the labor cost. Would love to go Lingo 4 (currently @Lingo 3) or a new Linn plinth since my plinth is original 1974. Decisions decisions and budget budget. LOL! Last year had the Kore, Cirkus & Tramp2 installed.

Edited by HDMan72

3 hours ago, HDMan72 said:

Decisions decisions and budget budget. LOL!

I know. It's a pain. And though I'm not trying to spend your money, if you could move your budget above £3K or its equivalent in your neck of the woods, you might find that the dealer would be in a position to make you a useful offer on the labour costs. The "free Karousel" offer from Lin has now expired, but I suspect that dealers will be wanting to sweeten the pot to keep their business moving.

David

8 hours ago, DavidHB said:

I know. It's a pain. And though I'm not trying to spend your money, if you could move your budget above £3K or its equivalent in your neck of the woods, you might find that the dealer would be in a position to make you a useful offer on the labour costs. The "free Karousel" offer from Lin has now expired, but I suspect that dealers will be wanting to sweeten the pot to keep their business moving.

David

I was also thinking of selling my Cirkus after, not sure of what they bring. My dealer did tell me if I did get another upgrade the labor cost is halved.

1 hour ago, HDMan72 said:

I was also thinking of selling my Cirkus after, not sure of what they bring.

Not a lot, I'm afraid. For obvious reasons, there will be far more supply of than demand for used Cirkus bearings.

David

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DavidHB said:

Not a lot, I'm afraid. For obvious reasons, there will be far more supply of than demand for used Cirkus bearings.

David

15 for sale on UK EBAY alone today. There used to be a couple at any one time.

It seems that Karousel has changed everything. I see used LP12s on the market and think that a new Majik LP12, because it includes Karousel, is a better value than all of them.

Edited by akamatsu

Chris of Hidden Systems hosted a "by invitation" discussion session on Zoom earlier this evening. The focus of the discussion was the LP12 in general and Karousel in particular. Gordon Inch of Linn joined us for this session.  Gordon provided some interesting Karousel facts, none of which I had heard before. Here are a few.

1. Development of the Karousel took about a year.

2. The composite bearing liner is machined to a tolerance of 8 microns; the carbon steel spindle is machined to an even finer tolerance.

3. The bearing end cap, as well as the locknut, is torqued to 3.5 N-m. The purpose of making the end cap removable was to allow inspection of the thrust pad without dismantling the LP12.

4. The 3.5 N-m value reflects the fact that, because the screw threads on the bearing housing, locknut and end cap are so fine, the torque is applied over a much larger surface area than might initially seem to be the case.

5. Loctite or similar should not be used on the Karousel screw threads. When Linn tried it, it resulted in a reduction in sound quality.

I hope that these are of interest.

David

• Like 3

Like David, I was privileged to attend Chris' Zoom session and found it most informative, even though, as a renegade "SME man" (Chris' term) I was hardly the target audience!  

What particularly impressed me was not only Gordon Inch's knowledge and enthusiasm for all things Linn, but how good old fashioned, sublime engineering know-how (as exemplified by the new bearing) can improve the venerable LP12 to new heights.  I have to say that I'm almost tempted to jump into the Sondek sea myself; indeed, if any of the projected new developments for the LP12 (of which Gordon was, of course, sworn to secrecy) were to stretch to a longer wheelbase, 12" tonearm version I'd be in there like a shot.

I'm left with even more pride for great British engineering and the wonderful things it does for music in the hands of both Linn and, in my case, SME.  Thanks to Chris Fuller for inviting me and to Gordon and all the participants (including David) for a most interesting 70 minutes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fitter Stoke said:

I'm left with even more pride for great British engineering and the wonderful things it does for music in the hands of both Linn and, in my case, SME.  Thanks to Chris Fuller for inviting me and to Gordon and all the participants (including David) for a most interesting 70 minutes.

The key take-away here - "and the wonderful things it does to music."  Detail retrieval and blacker silences mean nothing if our Linn improvements don't get us closer to the magic of  Simon and Garfunkel, Nick Drake, Mozart or (insert favorite musical artists here.).  M