Whoops hit the wrong button 

Edited by Ady

I've been following this Karousel thread from the beginning. It would appear that this upgrade provides a substantial increase in sound quality and not just a change in the sound. As such ,due to the fact that my system has been packed away to allow for a new kitchen to be fitted, I dropped my LP12 off at Cymbiosis the other day for a new belt and Karousel. I am now eagerly awaiting the resumption of record playing which will hopefully take place in about 10 days time 😁

Cheers Ady 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, DavidHB said:

It's interesting to reflect how far back into their engineering roots Linn have gone with the Karousel. Ib 1973, when Linn was first  marketing the LP12 (no arm then, of course, and the "power supply" was just a chocolate block connector for the mains wiring), a deeply sceptical Hi-Fi trade was unimpressed with the idea that the bearing, provided it produced no very audible rumble, wow and flutter, could have any (ho-hum) bearing on the sound quality.. Turntables just went round and  round, didn't they? To which Ivor's often quoted answer was that speakers only go in and out ...

David

Nice point! Ivor was spot on when he made that comment. Listening again tonight to the Karousel upgrade, it is obvious that the bearing is the most important part of this design..and as such the new Karousel is making a huge difference...even over the newer Cirkus that I was using before! 

• Like 2

Well, my time has come. My 30 year old, pre Cirkus LP12 goes in for a Karousel and a Kore tomorrow.

After hearing everyone else’s great experiences, it is now my turn. All I can say is that I can’t wait to get it back! I’ll report back later in the week 

• Like 3

After living with my klimax radikal urika 2 upgrade for two weeks , my Karousel has come in, should have it back by the weekend. 

• Like 4

On 04/09/2020 at 17:40, DavidHB said:

The more urgent need is suely either to replace or find a way of manufacturing the Majik arm.

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/linn-upgrades-majik-turntable-with-new-improved-tonearm/

Based on the Clearaudio Satisfy Kardan arm, apparently.

‘troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/linn-upgrades-majik-turntable-with-new-improved-tonearm/

Based on the Clearaudio Satisfy Kardan arm, apparently.

‘troll

Great news! You should start a new thread on the Krane tonearm.

I am now the proud owner of an LP12 with a newly fitted Karousel, Kore and T-Cable. Wow, what a difference! It's difficult to determine how each component has affected the sound, but I can give it my best guess.

The main difference now in my system is loads of new dynamics and detail in the bass and midrange. I am assuming that the ridgidness in the Kore is mainly reponsible for this. Secondly, there is so much space around the instruments and a beautiful richness as well. I am sure that the Karousel is reponsible for this. There are new instruments appearing in some of my recordings that I swear weren't there before!

This was quite a costly upgrade to me but I'm glad I got it done, it was well worth it. Alex at Stone Audio did a great job in carrying out the work on my deck.

My only problem now is keeping the volume at a slightly lower level because, as it is so full of energy and airiness, it is louder than you think!

Edited by AndyS
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, AndyS said:

The main difference now in my system is loads of new dynamics and detail in the bass and midrange. I am assuming that the ridgidness in the Kore is mainly responsible for this.

The Kore will be playing its part, but, because it is the major contributor to the lowering of the noise floor of the deck, the Karousel is making that extra detail more audible. I know that because my own corresponding upgrade was the Karousel and the Kandid (replacing the Krystal), and your description fits my case as well. In short, good as the other components are, it is the Karousel that is the real game changer.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 27/09/2020 at 14:13, AndyS said:

I am now the proud owner of an LP12 with a newly fitted Karousel, Kore and T-Cable. Wow, what a difference! It's difficult to determine how each component has affected the sound, but I can give it my best guess.

The main difference now in my system is loads of new dynamics and detail in the bass and midrange. I am assuming that the ridgidness in the Kore is mainly reponsible for this. Secondly, there is so much space around the instruments and a beautiful richness as well. I am sure that the Karousel is reponsible for this. There are new instruments appearing in some of my recordings that I swear weren't there before!

This was quite a costly upgrade to me but I'm glad I got it done, it was well worth it. Alex at Stone Audio did a great job in carrying out the work on my deck.

My only problem now is keeping the volume at a slightly lower level because, as it is so full of energy and airiness, it is louder than you think!

I think you made a wise decision going for the Kore at the same time as Karousel. It takes little imagination to see that the Kore and Karousel work closely together to make beautiful music that neither component could achieve on its own. Congratulations! But I agree with @DavidHB, the Karousel contributes the most. I too did Kandid/Karousel.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 2

That makes total sense about how much the Karousel is contributing towards the dynamics. I forgot to say how much better the noise floor is now. I thought it couldn’t get any quieter!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just brought my deck back from WYSAH having been newly  Karouselled by Colin Macey.  Now spinning disks and ... it sounds great.  It sounds spacious, detailed and with a rock solid beat.  Very happy.

Karousel is a must have on a LP12 imo

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mark57 said:

Just brought my deck back from WYSAH having been newly  Karouselled by Colin Macey.  Now spinning disks and ... it sounds great.  It sounds spacious, detailed and with a rock solid beat.  Very happy.

Karousel is a must have on a LP12 imo

Colin fitted mine too, a couple of months back. And a very nice job he did too!

Mick

On 27/09/2020 at 22:13, AndyS said:

, there is so much space around the instruments and a beautiful richness as well. I am sure that the Karousel is reponsible for this. There are new instruments appearing in some of my recordings that I swear weren't there before!

I had a very similar experience, although in my case I was coming from an early Cirkus bearing and sub-chassis to the Karousel and Kore.  After a couple of weeks of listening now I totally concur with what you say.  As others have said I think the dynamic range of the system has subtly improved, possibly a quieter background combined with sharper transients.  I have digitised most of my LPs over the years so have been able to compare the FLAC recording with listening to the LP directly.  Now it may just be losses in the recording / reproduction chain but the recordings sound good, but slightly "flatter".  Instruments blur together slightly and there is less what I would call "micro-dynamics" in the recordings.  Listening to the LP direct it is easier to separate instruments and voices.  The effect is most obvious with percussion, drums, piano, plucked strings.  Instruments stand out from the mix better.  It might be a quieter background or some kind of psycho-acoustic effect.  Although the difference is objectively subtle, it makes a big difference to my perception of the music.  Listening to the recording and LP side by side and flipping between the two, the newly noticeable instruments are there in the FLAC file, but just slightly clearer and better defined in the upgraded LP12. 

Not a scientific experiment but possibly a little more evidence that this is not simply "confirmation bias" tricking my brain into avoiding "buyer's remorse"!

I had been debating to myself whether to sell the LP12 and add the £2k upgrade cash to the sale price and buy myself something more modern - perhaps a top of the range Rega.  So glad I didn't.

Whether it is a real effect or just psychological, it has got me listening to my LP collection again which, of course, is the whole point!  And a great way to enjoy music while there are no gigs and concerts.

I had tickets to an Elbow concert which has been cancelled :(  So I bought "Build a Rocket Boys" on LP  instead ;-)  Am also getting into Jazz and folk a bit at the moment, so no more second hand CDs and downloads for me - it is LPs from now on.  I can see my music / LP budget being blown out of the water this year!

Edited by TheLastMan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheLastMan said:

I had a very similar experience, although in my case I was coming from an early Cirkus bearing and sub-chassis to the Karousel and Kore.  After a couple of weeks of listening now I totally concur with what you say.  As others have said I think the dynamic range of the system has subtly improved, possibly a quieter background combined with sharper transients.  I have digitised most of my LPs over the years so have been able to compare the FLAC recording with listening to the LP directly.  Now it may just be losses in the recording / reproduction chain but the recordings sound good, but slightly "flatter".  Instruments blur together slightly and there is less what I would call "micro-dynamics" in the recordings.  Listening to the LP direct it is easier to separate instruments and voices.  The effect is most obvious with percussion, drums, piano, plucked strings.  Instruments stand out from the mix better.  It might be a quieter background or some kind of psycho-acoustic effect.  Although the difference is objectively subtle, it makes a big difference to my perception of the music.  Listening to the recording and LP side by side and flipping between the two, the newly noticeable instruments are there in the FLAC file, but just slightly clearer and better defined in the upgraded LP12. 

Not a scientific experiment but possibly a little more evidence that this is not simply "confirmation bias" tricking my brain into avoiding "buyer's remorse"!

I had been debating to myself whether to sell the LP12 and add the £2k upgrade cash to the sale price and buy myself something more modern - perhaps a top of the range Rega.  So glad I didn't.

Whether it is a real effect or just psychological, it has got me listening to my LP collection again which, of course, is the whole point!  And a great way to enjoy music while there are no gigs and concerts.

I had tickets to an Elbow concert which has been cancelled :(  So I bought "Build a Rocket Boys" on LP  instead ;-)  Am also getting into Jazz and folk a bit at the moment, so no more second hand CDs and downloads for me - it is LPs from now on.  I can see my music / LP budget being blown out of the water this year!

Nope, it’s all real. 

• Upvote 1