Nah, it's the bearing.  The most surprising thing I heard was in a couple of clips posted on a forum.  This does have to be taken with a grain of salt as, even though I do find these type of files very useful most of the time, we are dealing with a digital file that has been moved around a fair bit.  Anyway, it was an A/B comparison of two turntables at a UK dealer that were supposed to be the same except that one had the Karousel and the other a near new Cirkus bearing.  The usual improvements I expect from the Karousel were there: lower noise floor leading to longer decays, easier to follow instrumental lines, and a more gripping performance.  But there was also something unique in my Hi-Fi experience (which dates back almost half a century).  I'm sure we have all had the experience of Guzziboy "noticing things I've never noticed before".  It happens regularly, in my experience working in the industry.  When I installed a Keel, a Radikal, an Ekos SE, a Kandid.  You listen to a piece of music and an instrumental line or vocal inflection you hadn't noticed before becomes clear and obvious.  You then go back and listen to the previous setup and you can hear the voice or instrument but it is more hidden, harder to pick out (obviously only when you are A/B comparing before and after configurations on two otherwise identical devices).  You go back to the upgraded device and it is much clearer.  But this comparison was different.  On the Karousel about 36 seconds into the piece there was a little shuffle on the snare drum with a brush that was clear, in time and well played (I am a drummer/percussionist).  But in listening to the Cirkus it just wasn't there!  I thought for sure my ears were fooling me as I've never found some bit of music actually missing when I went back to the lesser version, just harder to hear.  So I plugged some good headphones into the iMac and listened back and forth several times.  The shuffle was clearly there on the Karousel and completely missing on the Cirkus!  I had one of the other guys here listen to the clips on the headphones too and he heard the same thing.  He also marveled that there could be music clearly there on one and actually missing of the other.  It wasn't a dropout either as the rest of the instruments were audible through this section, just the drum shuffle wasn't there.  A main bearing that can pull musical information out of the ether (so to speak) on an already exceptional turntable has to be regarded as pretty special.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a pretty high spec LP 12 with a Cirkus bearing and a Tranquility magnetic levitation system. Are they any thoughts as to whether a Karosel would be a significant upgrade?

Best,

John Hirsch

(202) 999-5563 (US)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Hirsch said:

I have a pretty high spec LP 12 with a Cirkus bearing and a Tranquility magnetic levitation system. Are they any thoughts as to whether a Karosel would be a significant upgrade?

Best,

John Hirsch

(202) 999-5563 (US)

Hi John 

I haven't done a comparison but from what I read here and there I haven't seen any comments to suggest that the Karousel is not a major improvement than any previous bearing with or without accessories.

Once travel is allowed again " Covid restrictions " Karousel is top of my next purchase list.:^

Edited by Mr Kandid
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, John Hirsch said:

Best,

John Hirsch

(202) 999-5563 (US)

Definitely get the Karousel! It's one of the biggest upgrades ever for the LP12 (if not THE biggest).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Best,

John Hirsch

John, go to the Hi Fi Kabin forum, linn Karousel thread: this subject has been very well covered.

A Cirkus + Tranquility user changed to Karousel and found it significantly better.

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1638&sid=bf61842083c94122c122351e48e40460

7 hours ago, Mr Kandid said:

Once travel is allowed again " Covid restrictions " Karousel is top of my next purchase list.:^

I just had a look at your profile. You are in for a big treat! Also, I like the source heavy nature of your system. I can only imagine it sounding very musical.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Hirsch said:

Best,

John Hirsch

(202) 999-5563 (US)

Yes!

• Like 1

I wonder if the Tranquility is truly an improvement over the Cirkus from a musical standpoint. I've never heard the Tranquility.

10 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I wonder if the Tranquility is truly an improvement over the Cirkus from a musical standpoint.

Undoubtedly it is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am told that Karousel bests Cirkus / Tranquility but, until this Covid malarkey is over I can't do an audition to ascertain whether or not that is true.

1 hour ago, DebsE said:

I am told that Karousel bests Cirkus / Tranquility but, until this Covid malarkey is over I can't do an audition to ascertain whether or not that is true.

I think the children/relatives/parents/spouses/etc. of the 350,000 + dead in the US /1.9 worldwide wouldn't call Covid "malarkey."  

• Upvote 1

As it happens, sunshine,  I have a BSc in Human Cellular Pathology (the study of human disease at the cellular and sub-cellular levels), an MSc in Immunology (I studied under Tony Epstein of Epstein-Barr Virus fame, Bert Achong, W. David Billington, and Av Mitchison - Google them if you don't know these giants of Human Biology / Immunology).

I have also been 'number crunching' data on this Pandemic from the start.

I have also been shielding since 26 Mar (and haven't been out of my house) owing to the fact that I have no spleen and am at risk of upper respiratory tract infection.

I referred to it as 'Malarkey' because, if I didn't I would be in tears. If I used the words I want (especially given the USA's f*** up in dealing with the pandemic, and it's putting the rest of the world at greater risk) I'd probably get banned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DebsE said:

As it happens, sunshine,  I have a BSc in Human Cellular Pathology (the study of human disease at the cellular and sub-cellular levels), an MSc in Immunology (I studied under Tony Epstein of Epstein-Barr Virus fame, Bert Achong, W. David Billington, and Av Mitchison - Google them if you don't know these giants of Human Biology / Immunology).

I have also been 'number crunching' data on this Pandemic from the start.

I have also been shielding since 26 Mar (and haven't been out of my house) owing to the fact that I have no spleen and am at risk of upper respiratory tract infection.

I referred to it as 'Malarkey' because, if I didn't I would be in tears. If I used the words I want (especially given the USA's f*** up in dealing with the pandemic, and it's putting the rest of the world at greater risk) I'd probably get banned.

I didn't get the irony. Apologies.  I'm oversensitive to the knee jerk reactions of many to downplay the overwhelming tragedy of this pandemic.  And trust me, as an American, I'm seriously ashamed at the way this inept, corrupt, soon to be former administration, has dealt with it.  I live in the Southeast and it's a land of denial.   Here's to a healthy 2021 etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2