1 hour ago, DebsE said:

Thank you.

You're welcome. On a tangental topic, just listened to an old pressing of S&G's BOOKENDS.  Astonishing how much air and separation is around the notes post Karousel (and with a Lingo 1 to 4 upgrade.   The song America especially - astounding how much the songs of the late 1960s are still so relevant today.  

• Like 1

I'm just waiting for my revised Lingo 4 standoffs from Jeremy at Basil Audio and I'll be updating my LP12 (Karousel, Kore, Lingo 4, Trampolinn).  Can't wait to hear all that "air"!

2 hours ago, DebsE said:

As it happens, sunshine,  I have a BSc in Human Cellular Pathology (the study of human disease at the cellular and sub-cellular levels), an MSc in Immunology (I studied under Tony Epstein of Epstein-Barr Virus fame, Bert Achong, W. David Billington, and Av Mitchison - Google them if you don't know these giants of Human Biology / Immunology).

I have also been 'number crunching' data on this Pandemic from the start.

I have also been shielding since 26 Mar (and haven't been out of my house) owing to the fact that I have no spleen and am at risk of upper respiratory tract infection.

I referred to it as 'Malarkey' because, if I didn't I would be in tears. If I used the words I want (especially given the USA's f*** up in dealing with the pandemic, and it's putting the rest of the world at greater risk) I'd probably get banned.

And to add to this , I had a conversation with an intelligent person today who dismissed the 1% death rate for covid as no big deal. The CDC reported the death rate for the flu as 34K for thr 2018-19 season. Covid death is at 365000 for the us. There is no comparison, it is deadly and has show lasting effects in some survivors. Plus others that have had to put off surgeries have suffered pain, discomfort and a lesser quality of life these last 12 months. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, arm said:

And to add to this , I had a conversation with an intelligent person today who dismissed the 1% death rate for covid as no big deal. The CDC reported the death rate for the flu as 34K for thr 2018-19 season. Covid death is at 365000 for the us. There is no comparison, it is deadly and has show lasting effects in some survivors. Plus others that have had to put off surgeries have suffered pain, discomfort and a lesser quality of life these last 12 months. 

There are plenty of countries that have handled things badly, not just the US and UK. For example, Belgium is now over 0.17% of its entire population dead from COVID19. In a normal year Belgium reports just under 110,000 deaths (all causes), with cardio-vascular diseases being 27% and cancers 26%. The almost 20,000 deaths from COVID19 put it as the next highest cause of death for 2020. Pneumonias (all types - presumably includes most flu deaths) are typically just over 4%, so currently running at 5x normal due to COVID19 alone.

Anyway, what's the chance of Linn doing a super fantastic 50% deal on a Karousel, Lingo 4 and Akito 3 especially for me?  0%? Bugger.

19 minutes ago, Solanum said:

There are plenty of countries that have handled things badly, not just the US and UK. For example, Belgium is now over 0.17% of its entire population dead from COVID19. In a normal year Belgium reports just under 110,000 deaths (all causes), with cardio-vascular diseases being 27% and cancers 26%. The almost 20,000 deaths from COVID19 put it as the next highest cause of death for 2020. Pneumonias (all types - presumably includes most flu deaths) are typically just over 4%, so currently running at 5x normal due to COVID19 alone.

Anyway, what's the chance of Linn doing a super fantastic 50% deal on a Karousel, Lingo 4 and Akito 3 especially for me?  0%? Bugger.

There will be some sort of promo this Spring, we will have to wait and see. 

17 hours ago, mskaye said:
17 hours ago, DebsE said:

I referred to it as 'Malarkey' because, if I didn't I would be in tears. If I used the words I want (especially given the USA's f*** up in dealing with the pandemic, and it's putting the rest of the world at greater risk) I'd probably get banned.

I didn't get the irony. Apologies.  I'm oversensitive to the knee jerk reactions of many to downplay the overwhelming tragedy of this pandemic.  And trust me, as an American, I'm seriously ashamed at the way this inept, corrupt, soon to be former administration, has dealt with it.  I live in the Southeast and it's a land of denial.   Here's to a healthy 2021 etc. 

If I could give this 5 up arrows I would.  I could have written the same thing, except in my case I live in Michigan where about half the state still is in denial, but luckily our Governor is not.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

If I could give this 5 up arrows I would.  I could have written the same thing, except in my case I live in Michigan where about half the state still is in denial, but luckily our Governor is not.

Here in California, where our Governor was the first to lock down the state and undoubtedly save numerous lives, we have the unpleasant reality of a vocal minority calling for his removal. Simply because he shut down business and was attempting to look after the better good...for the majority of the population, he is now probably going to be facing a significant recall effort. Meanwhile, the crazy in the WH is doing all he can to fuel the fires of divisiveness!

Thomas, your governor deserves a medal and more IMHO. As does ours!!!

Edited by Daveyf
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Daveyf said:

Here in California, where our Governor was the first to lock down the state and undoubtedly save numerous lives, we have the unpleasant reality of a vocal minority calling for his removal. Simply because he shut down business and was attempting to look after the better good...for the majority of the population, he is now probably going to be facing a significant recall effort. Meanwhile, the crazy in the WH is doing all he can to fuel the fires of divisiveness!

Thomas, your governor deserves a medal and more IMHO. As does ours!!!

Agree about Govs.  Whitmer and Newsome.   Cuomo in NY deserves a lot of credit too.    PS- The Karousel is amazing.   

• Upvote 3

On 09/01/2021 at 01:46, arm said:
On 08/01/2021 at 22:44, DebsE said:

As it happens, sunshine,  I have a BSc in Human Cellular Pathology (the study of human disease at the cellular and sub-cellular levels), an MSc in Immunology (I studied under Tony Epstein of Epstein-Barr Virus fame, Bert Achong, W. David Billington, and Av Mitchison - Google them if you don't know these giants of Human Biology / Immunology).

I have also been 'number crunching' data on this Pandemic from the start.

I have also been shielding since 26 Mar (and haven't been out of my house) owing to the fact that I have no spleen and am at risk of upper respiratory tract infection.

Like DebsE I also work in this field. The concern that I have about the quoted 'death rate' is that it is only approx.1%  as an overview. The reality is that it is hugely age skewed (as is 'normal'  influenza  - but not pandemic influenza). It ramps up alarmingly from 60 onwards and isn't that great from  50 onwards.  If one couples this to the asymptomatic carriers out there then close contact for people of advancing years is very dangerous, and can really only be handled by restricting ones own movements. What a  certain cardre of people don't appear to understand is that there is a good chance that they are asymptomatic carriers - they don't feel ill and don't want to understand that they are walking killers - to do so would upset their daily routine. It  deny help when their dental is reenforced  by their leaders. Here in the UK we are led to believe that schools are safe and that they should be kept open at all costs.  This is not what the data show  -  4 to15 year olds test positive in a similar arithmetic frame to others - they may not die, but they are certainly part of the problem.

It is a novel disease - novel diseases aren't easy to deal with  -  but the first step is to respect them  - and although many do, it is clear to see that a significant number do not.

I understand the difficulties in balancing restrictions while keeping economies  operating - but economies recover, dead people don't. The only way to fight this virus is to restrict the number of hosts available to it - don't mix unless you really have to, get vaccinated as soon as it is offered to you and even then do not consider the vaccine as a passport - but as insurance that you don't want to have to cash in.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

On 08/01/2021 at 08:09, John Hirsch said:

I have a pretty high spec LP 12 with a Cirkus bearing and a Tranquility magnetic levitation system. Are they any thoughts as to whether a Karosel would be a significant upgrade?

Best,

John Hirsch

(202) 999-5563 (US)

I've gone from a Basik arm to an Ittok, Valhalla to Lingo 1. I've Cirkused and Trampolinned. 
In November I went from Cirkus to Karousel. It's the only change I've ever made that was a noticeable upgrade. I love it.

2 hours ago, Guzziboy said:

I've gone from a Basik arm to an Ittok, Valhalla to Lingo 1. I've Cirkused and Trampolinned. 
In November I went from Cirkus to Karousel. It's the only change I've ever made that was a noticeable upgrade. I love it.

Great!  What subchassis do you have?

On 08/01/2021 at 20:29, DebsE said:

I am told that Karousel bests Cirkus / Tranquility but, until this Covid malarkey is over I can't do an audition to ascertain whether or not that is true.

Hi DebsE, 

Obviously we all hear sounds slightly differently but I did the audition between a Cirkus/ Tranquillity LP12 and a Karousel LP12 and the Karousel was noticeably better. Hopefully we will all be vaccinated soon and you can do the audition. 

Cheers Ady 

Hi Ady,

TY.

Hopefully when this dies down I can get over to Cymbiosis.

When I installed my Cirkus kit a few years back, I noticed a very significant upswing in SQ. I was not really expecting such an improvement as the prior mods ( Radikal and Kore) were touted as being more noticeable...at least in the US. I remember when the Cirkus was introduced, it didn't get anything like the fanfare of the Lingo or the various prior subchassis mods, but IMO it is actually more of an advance from a SQ perspective than the others. Likewise the new Karousel is a major step up in SQ!

• Like 2