Sign in to follow this  
Headcoat

Do old DACs benefit from a service

Been meaning to ask this for some time. I've had a Micromega DAC1 for over ten years, likely it was another ten years old when I got it. No noticeable issues but I'm a little cloth eared. Is it worth having it serviced, do DACs of this age benefit from such? If so can anyone advise where / who could do this 'professionally'.

I've also a similar age Micromega T-DAC, stoped using it as increasingly it's failing to read discs without a few switches of the power on/off/on. Beyond that the T-DAC sounds fine, would this be something that's repairable and is their benefit of a service here?

Could do with a re-cap most likely at that age. Pop the top off and give it a look over 

Super Wammer

Micromega are not particularly good at supporting their old kit. 

• Like 1

I have never put mine through a full service, but I do say a few prayers with it occasionally, as it is very old and I want it to keep going.

• Haha 2

Because of the rapidly changing technology, I suspect most companies offer little support for their digital products.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Just now, oldius said:

Because of the rapidly changing technology, I suspect most companies offer little support for their digital products.

This is true but some are worse than others. I find CD players plastic transports get very brittle with heat and then there is no escape 

17 minutes ago, radiant red said:

This is true but some are worse than others. I find CD players plastic transports get very brittle with heat and then there is no escape 

My 35 year-old CD player has had a complete overhaul by an experienced engineer ...

“Serviced / restored with attention to the usual issues :- ALL Griplets hard wired with through board links. Aged capacitors replaced. Load mech. stripped, cleaned, adjusted and new drive belt. - No loading issues. Nice bright display. 

Note - All service work is fully compliant with original spec.  The only way this differs from the original spec. is that the original fixed Phono lead  has been replaced with High quality gold R,C.A. sockets.”

My CD player has a transport, loading mechanism (and case and chassis) made almost entirely of metal and it weighs 7kg.

It cost me £165 for which I could have have bought something brand-new and discounted at Richer Sound made of recycled yoghurt cartons :) but I am loving the sound it makes and the sheer smooth chunkiness of operation as much as (more than?) any other CDP I have ever owned.

It is also in incredibly good condition.

7321C149-D559-45BA-9775-E1AB04D5B415.jpeg

• Like 3

Super Wammer

I’ve just repaired this CDP, PCB and transport both brittle but if you have the patience and know how, things are always possible 

8F8CC8FA-A8AA-4009-AC70-9460AE7E28B8.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Could do with a re-cap most likely at that age. Pop the top off and give it a look over 

And what would you be looking out for?

1 hour ago, chebby said:

My 35 year-old CD player has had a complete overhaul by an experienced engineer ...

“Serviced / restored with attention to the usual issues :- ALL Griplets hard wired with through board links. Aged capacitors replaced. Load mech. stripped, cleaned, adjusted and new drive belt. - No loading issues. Nice bright display. 

Note - All service work is fully compliant with original spec.  The only way this differs from the original spec. is that the original fixed Phono lead  has been replaced with High quality gold R,C.A. sockets.”

My CD player has a transport, loading mechanism (and case and chassis) made almost entirely of metal and it weighs 7kg.

It cost me £165 for which I could have have bought something brand-new and discounted at Richer Sound made of recycled yoghurt cartons :) but I am loving the sound it makes and the sheer smooth chunkiness of operation as much as (more than?) any other CDP I have ever owned.

It is also in incredibly good condition.

7321C149-D559-45BA-9775-E1AB04D5B415.jpeg

What make is it?

23 minutes ago, Timbo21 said:

And what would you be looking out for?

Bulging and leaking caps

• Like 1