dari

High-Resolution Audio: Facts, Fiction and Findings

Super Wammer

Poor article with little or no real insight in to if Hi Res is really of any sonic benefit .

• Like 1

A pretty directionless/confused article. I hope only that the study he's referring to has some kind of valid methodology, because from the article, it doesn't seem like it.

• Like 1

Good Morning All,

First off I haven't read the article but will at some point.

Second of the above three posters how many have actually tried the test???

I have actually bothered my backside to download the files and listen to them. I've listened to them on my laptop via my Sony WF-1000XM3 'earbuds' and also through the hi-fi system.

I know there isn't a great deal wrong with my hearing and I consider myself to have a pretty fair system to listen on and I found it far from easy to perceive differences between the two versions of each track.

I've submitted my results and look forward to discovering how I did (or didn't).

Regards

Richard

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

True, the article is far from comprehensive and the headline is not accurate representation of the writing. I admit, I should have labelled it better but my point was the test he has linked in the article. I've done it. Some tracks are of a huge dynamic range which makes you think how compressed the music we listen daily really is. Anyway, I think the test it's worth to try.

I love music and I think I can hear well BUT I took an online test that compares hires with say MP3. Man ... I failed it. Seems I was choosing MP3 more than the hires tracks! 😳

I believe a well mastered track is most important. Does not matter if it’s vinyl or 16/44.1 or DSD x1,000. 

• Like 3

I love music and I think I can hear well BUT I took an online test that compares hires with say MP3. Man ... I failed it. Seems I was choosing MP3 more than the hires tracks! 😳

I believe a well mastered track is most important. Does not matter if it’s vinyl or 16/44.1 or DSD x1,000. 

4 hours ago, linesrg said:

Good Morning All,

First off I haven't read the article but will at some point.

Second of the above three posters how many have actually tried the test???

I have actually bothered my backside to download the files and listen to them. I've listened to them on my laptop via my Sony WF-1000XM3 'earbuds' and also through the hi-fi system.

I know there isn't a great deal wrong with my hearing and I consider myself to have a pretty fair system to listen on and I found it far from easy to perceive differences between the two versions of each track.

I've submitted my results and look forward to discovering how I did (or didn't).

Regards

Richard

I don't have a good enough digital front end to even try (especially source before dac - a laptop with a crap 1 euro usb cable). It then goes into usb input of rega dac mk1, where rega said it's a suboptimal option for that dac and exists solely for compatibility. So there's no point for me to try it out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, popol_vuh said:

I don't have a good enough digital front end to even try (especially source before dac - a laptop with a crap 1 euro usb cable). It then goes into usb input of rega dac mk1, where rega said it's a suboptimal option for that dac and exists solely for compatibility. So there's no point for me to try it out.

Think you would be the best candidate to try it out..

51 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Think you would be the best candidate to try it out..

I really believe my digital front end doesn't have nearly enough resolution to show the difference...and also, rega dac mk I doesn' support high res via usb -  only via coax and optical. My next purchase for the digital front end is going to be a RPi 3b+ and hifiberry digi+pro and a decent coax cable and linear PSU...then it'll be a decent digital front end. My primary source is turntable and i don't want to spend too much money on digital. I use it only to check stuff out before i buy it on vinyl.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, popol_vuh said:

I really believe my digital front end doesn't have nearly enough resolution to show the difference...and also, rega dac mk I doesn' support high res via usb -  only via coax and optical. My next purchase for the digital front end is going to be a RPi 3b+ and hifiberry digi+pro and a decent coax cable and linear PSU...then it'll be a decent digital front end. My primary source is turntable and i don't want to spend too much money on digital. I use it only to check stuff out before i buy it on vinyl.

Yes my dac magic is the same 48kHz 16 bit i think on usb..upscales more on optical..but I dont have a Optical or a coax on my linx 12..vinyl is still the best.but i listen a lot to qobuz..even though I have a lot of vinyl and a good turntable..yikes..i have gone to the darkside..all hope is lost! Lol 🤣

• Like 1