Weeman1973

Recommend a Decent Small Form factor DAC?

Due to a little change around at home, I'm on the lookout for a Small DAC to run with my Raspberry Pi.

I've got a limited case width I can work with of a maximum 19cm / 7.5in.

Currently using my Chord Mojo but would like something more permanent.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, MartinC said:

A DAC 'hat' for your pi would be the obvious option here?

Being honest, I have no idea how to adapt Pi's etc hence was looking for an external DAC.

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 B with the Hifiberry Digi Pro board so no idea what DAC 'hat' would fit this?

Thanks again

Edited by Weeman1973

1 hour ago, kernow said:

What's your budget? 

Don't want to go silly so probably up to around £300 or so

I doubt you can beat the mojo for that price tbh 

1 minute ago, kernow said:

I doubt you can beat the mojo for that price tbh 

Yes I know what you mean.

My only problem with using the Mojo is sometimes the battery runs out whilst listening so was wondering if there's anything I should consider as a more permanent solution.

Not sure if the Leema Acoustics Elements is  small enough but  worth a look. I sold mine used for £425 it was replaced by a oppo 205 in my main system. I have a mojo as well and would definitely take the Leema  over the mojo for a desk top setup.

The Leema dac also has a headphone out which works well with easy to drive cans.

11 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:

Yes I know what you mean.

My only problem with using the Mojo is sometimes the battery runs out whilst listening so was wondering if there's anything I should consider as a more permanent solution.

Why not just get a inexpensive batter power bank to extend the use time with the mojo think it needs to have a 1A output to charge the mojo. Works well for me.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

Why not just get a inexpensive batter power bank to extend the use time with the mojo think it needs to have a 1A output to charge the mojo. Works well for me.

Could be an option I suppose - does the Mojo charge whilst in use then?

Does this affect it being used in line out mode do you know (as I use it when hooked up to my system)?

Edited by Weeman1973

Yes mojo will charge off the battery bank as long as the battery bank by is capable of providing a 1Amp output which many are especially the larger ones.

I use one of these

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=133268868906&category=123417&pm=1&ds=0&t=1578481129000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Super Wammer

Fled has just bought a Benchmark DAC 1 and is very happy with it for his Bluesound Node. I have had the same unit for 15 years and there is no way I am selling mine. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

Yes mojo will charge off the battery bank as long as the battery bank by is capable of providing a 1Amp output which many are especially the larger ones.

I use one of these

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=133268868906&category=123417&pm=1&ds=0&t=1578481129000&ver=0&cspheader=1

I know it's counterintuitive but battery supplies like this aren't necessarily better that supplies plugged into the mains. This is because rather than the battery actually directly powering the device I think they actually power an SMPS that then provides a regulated supply.

(There's measurement data for an example somewhere on ASR but I can't find it quickly.)

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, DomT said:

Fled has just bought a Benchmark DAC 1 and is very happy with it for his Bluesound Node. I have had the same unit for 15 years and there is no way I am selling mine. 

Would like to try a Benchmark but it won't fit where I need it