Mains blocks - any benefit in spending £50 or so ?

Ian

25 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

What: No more cable threads!!!

We can only hope...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

I minded to try amp in a normal extension..just to see of theres a improvement?  If the great and the good say a conditioner might impinge on the amp's performance? Who am i to argue! Lol..going to try it this evening 

Where possible (and it's not always possible), I like to plug the Amp directly into the wall. If using an extension, I like something well built, with no light or switches. This is why Olson ticks a lot of boxes - and doesn't have an Audiophile Markup. 

• Like 1

People with crap equipment will notice no difference. My 46 years of experience in the high fi industry has told me that anyone that anyone thinking they can hear any difference through crap equipment needs a doctor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've straight attached a dark matter generator to the end of my amps line in so I can't use a block unfortunately....

• Haha 4

On 07/03/2020 at 16:42, Boysey said:

My advice, in the nicest possible way, is “get a life”.

I purchased the so called MCRU Audiophile mains block and all it done was robbed me of £109 (and this is what’s considered to be a cheap version) and many others can cost many hundreds of pounds.

I don't think its a "so called" mains block... it actually does work, conducts electricity and all that, nothing so called about it.

2 hours ago, Iceman 16 said:

Same experienced when I had Naim system. 

last time i tried a tacima on a naim product and a sudgen amp , the DID not like it at all .... just pondering one of those puritan jobbies  

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

Where possible (and it's not always possible), I like to plug the Amp directly into the wall. If using an extension, I like something well built, with no light or switches. This is why Olson ticks a lot of boxes - and doesn't have an Audiophile Markup. 

Well..the amp seems leaner with more tuneful bass? And a little quicker?  ( going through a bog standard mains block..) cool ☺

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, hifinutt said:

last time i tried a tacima on a naim product and a sudgen amp , the DID not like it at all .... just pondering one of those puritan jobbies  

I tried Audrey through the same type of Tacima Block. And I had the same experience. 

I'm new to Valve Amplifiers; I've read that they are pretty tough and aren't so easily damaged by Power Surges. 

Does that reflect your experiences? 👍 😎

thats a very interesting question .... don`t know the answer . i would have thought all sensitive electrical equipment would benefit from surge protector . that said i normally have my power amps into the wall unless they are class d 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

thats a very interesting question .... don`t know the answer . i would have thought all sensitive electrical equipment would benefit from surge protector . that said i normally have my power amps into the wall unless they are class d 

I must say that in any case, when I'm not in, all equipment is Isolated. I used to leave my Solid State on all the time! 😱

1 hour ago, hifinutt said:

that said i normally have my power amps into the wall unless they are class d 

My power amp and sub are both high power class D designs so I have these plugged into wall outlets. Not sure I'd generally make a big distinction for class D.

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

My power amp and sub are both high power class D designs so I have these plugged into wall outlets. Not sure I'd generally make a big distinction for class D.

yes i used to have some class AB belles and played with them in and out of the sigmas mains conditioner . i think in the end they were better plugged straight into the wall .  

wondering whether these will benefit from better mains conditioning 

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?66306-B-amp-O-Icepower-50ASX2-monoblocks

On 08/03/2020 at 16:19, CnoEvil said:

Maybe I did. 

Here is what Amp manufacturers have to say:

Plinius:

"Most mains conditioners or filters act in series with the mains and will starve the amplifier and negatively affect the sound. Look for a brand that works in parallel. If you need this treatment to your mains supply, this is a better option for you."

Sugden:

“We don’t use mains conditioners but if somebody wants to, they need to make sure it has the correct power rating. Line level equipment such as CD players and pre-amps have very low power consumption but Integrated amps and power amps require a mains conditioner of much higher rating. Using a mains conditioner assumes the equipment needs it. We spend a lot of time designing our power supplies and carefully choosing the rectifiers, transformers and smoothing capacitors. From my experience, most conditioners used on power amplifiers reduce the dynamic range. The best power supply for a system is a separate spur from your fuse box, this might even be less money. I am of the opinion you need to be as direct to the mains as possible with our class A amplifiers.
Experimenting with an isolation transformer is interesting and quite a big one isn’t too expensive to run amplifiers from.
Sorry I can’t offer any definitive technical support but as our mains conditioning experiences have been quite negative we have left it alone.”

Gryphon Audio

Q. Should I use powerline conditioners with my Gryphon?
A. "In our experience, most external powerline conditioners do more harm than good. The sound may be very different, but not necessarily an improvement. Listen very critically and for an extended period of time, before making a final decision about purchasing a conditioner.
Gryphon products incorporate heavily regulated multi-stage power supplies which act as effective mains conditioning filters and will in most cases not be improved by the insertion of an outboard powerline conditioner in the signal path."

Examples of how clueless the publicity departments of some manufacturers can be. It's true that excessive resistance in these things could cause the power to be limited very slightly but at normal listening levels? Nah. If you stick a resistance in series with the power that is so high it causes the voltage to drop outside the normal voltage tolerance you will know. It will get very hot and ultimately catch fire.