rednose66

Magneplanar MMG with Onkyo Receiver

Evening all. In my mancave in Spain I have a pair of MMG's. Currently powered by an asthmatic Sony F542E Amp. I use it only to play digital files and Spotify via Volumio running on a Pi3b. The amp needs replacing in a few months so I am looking at a cheapish stereo receiver that can power the speakers and give me various digital facilities - Bluetooth, Spotify, Tidal etc. Does anyone know whether this would work? https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/onkyo-tx-8390-stereo-receiver

Super Wammer

I think you need to give them a ring/email as I would imagine your Maggie are not the standard 8 Ohm load that this sort of is normally designed for. Yes it's says it's got 200wpc but without sufficient current and the ability to work with your speakers it could still struggle. 

I'm sure someone will be along soon to say the above is complete bollocks (which is okay) but I would still ask the question of the dealer before putting your hand in your pocket. 

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I think you need to give them a ring/email as I would imagine your Maggie are not the standard 8 Ohm load that this sort of is normally designed for. Yes it's says it's got 200wpc but without sufficient current and the ability to work with your speakers it could still struggle. 

I'm sure someone will be along soon to say the above is complete bollocks (which is okay) but I would still ask the question of the dealer before putting your hand in your pocket. 

Nope Lurch I am with you . here is the spec

Description2-Way / Quasi-Ribbon Planar-Magnetic

Freq. Resp.50 - 24 kHz ±3 dB

Rec PowerRead Frequently Asked Questions

Sensitivity 86dB / 500Hz / 2.83v

Impedance 4 Ohm

Expecting a medium priced Jap Receiver to deliver what these require is likely to end in tears (or smoke) if that average impedance drops below 4 ohms.  The poor old amp will be wheezing away trying to deliver into the Maggies with their 86db efficiency and 4 ohm load.

Ideally you need an amp capable of delivering 100 watts into a load that might dip below 4 ohms.  Perhaps someone out there knows of a receiver that will do this but that is not my territory.  Ideally you need a real ballsy amp with these - Krell KSA100 springs to mind and of course my dear old Hafler DH200 both will give you the desired power into loads of 4ohms (or less) all day without raising a sweat (though you might with the heat that they produce).

I love Maggies but that is the downside, namelyu,  great speakers for not a lot of money but you need to spend a bit of dosh on the amp to make em work as they should.

• Like 1

Yes I am aware that these dip below 4ohm which is problematic for some amps. I can hear that the Sony amp I'm using now doesn't't deliver enough current. Worse case scenario I'll buy something like a second hand MF A5 or similar which I know will drive then. I was however hoping for an all in one solution. 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, rednose66 said:

Yes I am aware that these dip below 4ohm which is problematic for some amps. I can hear that the Sony amp I'm using now doesn't't deliver enough current. Worse case scenario I'll buy something like a second hand MF A5 or similar which I know will drive then. I was however hoping for an all in one solution. 

You could always sellotape a network player to a Sugden amp for an all in one... sorry for the bad joke. 
Yes, there is always compromises in all in ones.. years ago we were told to avoid receivers because they compromised sound and a prime example was a Nad 3020 when the combined it with a 4020 tuner and it didn’t sound as good as the two separately.

its a difficult one, unless you are prepared to spend more 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
40 minutes ago, triumph said:

The problem is - can the MF handle loads below 4 ohms?  It looks like it should - it produces masses of current but nothing in their spec gives any indication of below 4 ohms.  I can only give you an example - a mate of mine has a pair of 4ohm speakers that must dip below as he threw the thermal cuttout on a host of amps.  In searching for his ideal amp I telephoned Meridian to see if the 555 amp would work ok below 4 ohms they advised against it (when I told them this guy listens at deafening levels ... in the end he got a 557 (which meridian confirmed was fine down to 2 ohms) and he has his sonic nervana (if he still has intact hearing at the levels he listens at).

So I would ring MF to ask what they think .. at least you will have some comeback if they say it is all hunky dory and it turns out the opposite I guess.  Undoubtedly a great amp but just make sure before you buy in this situation. 

Posted (edited)

I dem'd a larger pair of maggies with an Audiolab 800P power amp (100W) and it coped very well in a large room. 

To be fair the Onkyo you mention is specced down to 4ohms and is capable of more power.

Edited by JTW
spelling

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, JTW said:

I dem'd a larger pair of maggies with an Audiolab 800P power amp (100W) and it coped very well in a large room. 

To be fair the Onkyo you mention is specced down to 4ohms and is capable of more power.

Aye true but I have seen amps rated down to 4 ohms going bang on speakers like the Gale GS401s .. the problem is below 4 ohms the rated power goes backwards and yet a speaker like this demands a high current delivery.   It may work and it may not go bang but you will never be getting the best you can out of the loudspeakers.   My Gales were working ok to my ears on an old Leak Stereo 70 in a smallish room - but when I hooked it up the audionics B2 and Hafler DH200 (which i bought to replace the Leak) my god - even the missus noted the difference.  It was a light and day difference ... 

Hence my recommendation is if you are going to change your amp - get one that can deliver below 4 ohms and then you can just sit back and enjoy it for the next 40 years (as I have) 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, uzzy said:

Aye true but I have seen amps rated down to 4 ohms going bang on speakers like the Gale GS401s .. the problem is below 4 ohms the rated power goes backwards and yet a speaker like this demands a high current delivery.   It may work and it may not go bang but you will never be getting the best you can out of the loudspeakers.   My Gales were working ok to my ears on an old Leak Stereo 70 in a smallish room - but when I hooked it up the audionics B2 and Hafler DH200 (which i bought to replace the Leak) my god - even the missus noted the difference.  It was a light and day difference ... 

Hence my recommendation is if you are going to change your amp - get one that can deliver below 4 ohms and then you can just sit back and enjoy it for the next 40 years (as I have) 

I used a Sonus Fabre Musica to drive my Gales.. lovely...

Kindest regards Julian