Gaz38

How do DACs differ?

2 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

The measurements are the overriding factor of how a ( contemporary oversampling design's) DAC sounds, if we leave aside the ‘deliberately broken’ designs,  NOS, some valve R2R then we’ll designed oversampling DACs are going to sound more or less identical, differing if at all only because of the choice of reconstruction filter 

Wrong in every regard - if ignorance is bliss you must be the most contented hi-fi trader on the planet.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HugoZ said:

Wrong in every regard - if ignorance is bliss you must be the most contented hi-fi trader on the planet.  

Wrong how?

Super Wammer
Just now, bandit pilot said:

Wrong how?

Beat me to it :D

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

It is difficult to comprehend until you level match and compare unsighted, that is not to say, ‘all DACs sound the same’ because some are deliberately broken enough to be audibly different.

Until you try it for yourself ...

Keith

Another question swerved.

Super Dealer

Until you start exploring for yourself you will be continually locked in the ‘upgrade’ path propagated by dealers, magazines and manufacturers, you have to learn what is important and perhaps more poignantly what is not.

I can only advise you spend some time over at ASR ask the engineers who actually design state of the art equipment.

Keith

When the pusher tells the user it's all placebo...

You can feel the twitching from here :nerves:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bandit pilot said:

Wrong how?

Do I have to spell it out?

1. Measurements are NOT the "overriding factor of (sic) how a ... DAC sounds". 

2. Far from being "deliberately broken" designs, in the time domain NOS DACs are technically superior to oversampling DACs. 

3. "...oversampling DACs are going to sound more or less identical..." This is like saying that all preamps (which constitute the output stage of most DACs) sound more or less the same, so wrong again!

57 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Until you start exploring for yourself you will be continually locked in the ‘upgrade’ path propagated by dealers, magazines and manufacturers, you have to learn what is important and perhaps more poignantly what is not.

I can only advise you spend some time over at ASR ask the engineers who actually design state of the art equipment.

Keith

And don’t be lured by sales spiel into upgrading to the finest measuring, future of loudspeakers by a dealer who is sowing seeds of doubt by calling your current speakers “effects boxes” or “sounded good in 1985”!

I read somewhere that quad design their amplifiers entirely on measurements?  If this is true? Then maybe its true of dacs too?  Its all over my head to be honest..i fondly remember my not cheap sony music system.with its square speakers it had a mod con cd player too..i didn't know about dacs then or interconnects or mains conditioning..was just chuffed i had something so good!  

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

And yet not all digital engineers are in agreement with the ASR approach. Rob Watts does indeed design ‘state of the art equipment’  and which also tends to measure superbly in Amir’s tests but he also considers some of those tests to be flawed. More importantly he uses listening as a fundamental aspect of his design process and would never dream of just relying on measurements himself to gauge  the success of a DAC. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HugoZ said:

Far from being "deliberately broken" designs, in the time domain NOS DACs are technically superior to oversampling DACs.

But they are "broken" in most other aspects though...

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, greybeard said:

Now your just bragging Nigel, a 6" Tweeter!!

Don’t get me started on dome vs ribbon.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
57 minutes ago, tuga said:

But they are "broken" in most other aspects though...

Given that they work by definition they cannot be ‘broken’. You may not like them but that is something else so why not just say so. 

Super Dealer

DAC, digital to analogue CONVERTER, NOS designs adds a whole slew of distortion, by definition ‘broken’.

Keith