Gaz38

How do DACs differ?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rabski said:

Why not pop into your local Tesco and ask them if you can spend a few hours comparing different cheeses so you can do a write up about it

I like all the cheeses...

Red Leicester...

erm...

Edited by savvypaul
  • Like 1

Well, while you were all enjoying yourself here, We have been listening to a recording of Bach’s John Passion, performed at the proms on a rather fine pair of speakers; you know, the ones that Keith is patronisingly rude about!

So just to makes sure that I’ve caught up, am I to understand that I don’t need to bake a chocolate cake to take to Keith’s home for a DAC off. ;)

• Like 1

Super Dealer

Rather fine in which way,

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mbl-radialstrahler-101e-mkii-loudspeaker-measurements

measurements aren’t terrible, it would be interesting to see the plot of yours from your MLP but You are reticent to post them.

Keith

8 hours ago, Camverton said:

Well, while you were all enjoying yourself here, We have been listening to a recording of Bach’s John Passion, performed at the proms on a rather fine pair of speakers; you know, the ones that Keith is patronisingly rude about!

So just to makes sure that I’ve caught up, am I to understand that I don’t need to bake a chocolate cake to take to Keith’s home for a DAC off. ;)

Cake is still needed so please continue to bake. If you could just pop it in the post to me once it's ready that would be lovely ...;)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Rather fine in which way,

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mbl-radialstrahler-101e-mkii-loudspeaker-measurements

measurements aren’t terrible, it would be interesting to see the plot of yours from your MLP but You are reticent to post them.

Keith

Ahhhh, crap. I forgot to turn on the ignore. Where is that button...??!!! 

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, TheFlash said:

You stopped actually reading what I said a few posts ago. You're just filtering everything I say through some warped lens of Keth-defender/promoter which anyone esle will tell you I'm not. I'm going to put you on ignore for a while as I come on this forum to relax. But let me respond once more. Please read my responses this time.

"By definition you are supporting them". You need to look up the definition of definition. I explained, I did not support.

"... and promoting them at the most". Er, no, anything but.

No, I don't think everyone is stupid. I do wonder whether you've had a bad day.

I can't answer your question because it is invalid. At the risk of you getting all sensitive about me calling you stupid (I didn't), you do understand, don't you, that because the basis of your question is invalid, I can't answer it?

Therefore, I cannot state which one of those highly acclaimed DACs are (sic) poorly designed. Because I don't believe that one is.

Pop in at Kegworth for a cup of tea and a nice chat instead of this internet warrior nonsense.

Isn’t it strange that people who state the position of others are not supporting or promoting the opinions of others. And when challenged on said position refuse to reply repeating that any questions to this statement are invalid.

Thank you for the offer of tea but as you have described yourself as warped I shall decline and in any event will be in another country. 

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
9 minutes ago, Turn it up! said:

Ahhhh, crap. I forgot to turn on the ignore. Where is that button...??!!! 

Couldn’t find any measurements for the Cornwalls, but...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-forte-iii-loudspeaker-measurements

Keith

31 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Couldn’t find any measurements for the Cornwalls, but...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-forte-iii-loudspeaker-measurements

Keith

And from the rest of the review:

For sheer elation, for joyous jumps and shouts, for exhilaration of hi-fi enjoyed and music revealed, the Forte III is a one-of-a-kind loudspeaker. It gave me serious bliss and musical insight. Somewhere, Paul W. Klipsch is smiling.

with low distortion as well.

Now where are the measurements for the Cessaros?

Don't bother with the ANEs measurements  I know they sound superb :D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, savvypaul said:

I like all the cheeses...

Red Leicester...

erm...

Pont l'eveque..

Canadian cheddar! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Pont l'eveque..

Canadian cheddar! 

I've just come off the phone to the Tesco cheese department. They're happy to supply three cheeses, blindfolds and measuring equipment but I need to bring my own cables. 

I've PM'd Rabski to see when he's free...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Super Dealer
45 minutes ago, George 47 said:

For sheer elation, for joyous jumps and shouts, for exhilaration of hi-fi enjoyed and music revealed, the Forte III is a one-of-a-kind loudspeaker. It gave me serious bliss and musical insight. Somewhere, Paul W. Klipsch is smiling.

As I have them to hand  in my ‘worst measuring loudspeaker’ list,

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-note-e-lexus-signature-loudspeaker-measurements

Keith

How do you measure musical enjoyment?

• Like 2

Super Dealer

For George , musical enjoyment  = no bass and hugely coloured reproduction.

Keith

Posted (edited)

Yes, measurements give us an idea but is it the whole picture? 

If two sets of speakers, or headphones, measured identically would they sound identical?

It seems an entirely objective stance is suggesting that is the case. 

I can't help think outside of the mind playing tricks that there must be a missing factor, or even other factors involved.

Edited by Headcoat
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, George 47 said:

I was demoing quite a range of speakers a few months ago and as well as De Vore Orangutans, Tannoy, Klipsch, Dali and Harbeth I tried the ANE. No matter what the measurements might say I thought they were superb, I was pretty blown away by them to be honest. I opted for the Corwalls in the end as they were such a different sound for me and really fun but my next speakers will be ANE Hemp. 

Cheers

• Like 2