Gaz38

How do DACs differ?

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

Is TheFlash (Keith) also known as TheFlash (Nigel)? Jus checking in case someone is an imposter...

Sorry Nigel I am a dickhead and fixated on what I see in front of me rather than what my mind wants to see . All those reading this thread please see this correction and act accordingly .

Edited by bencat
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Occasionally there is a small section of the review dedicated to listening impressions. 

I would trust his equipment more than his ears :D

• Like 1

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

My point is to ask whether that is the case, or not...

Yes it is that site and yes they do tend not to listen to items only measure them and then guess what they sound like .

12 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Am I right in thinking that ASR is the site where they measure hundreds of different bits of kit but never listen to them?

Mainly yes. Why would you want to listen to audio?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Occasionally there is a small section of the review dedicated to listening impressions. 

Thanks.

I do get the apparent (and appealing) logic of being guided by measurements, but I struggle to give it precedence when applied to a subjective pursuit.

Each to their own, though. Live and let live.

Btw, I own an RME dac, so the two worlds do sometimes collide :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, George 47 said:

Mainly yes. Why would you want to listen to audio?

If I told you, you wouldn't be able to measure it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

I don’t demonstrate the difference between DACs, all the designs I represent are state of the art oversampling designs, there would be no point. 

This is madness. Have you even sat down and compared them for yourself?

Out of interest, how many hours a week do you spend listening to the equipment you sell?

Super Dealer

It is difficult to comprehend until you level match and compare unsighted, that is not to say, ‘all DACs sound the same’ because some are deliberately broken enough to be audibly different.

Until you try it for yourself ...

Keith

10 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Thanks.

I do get the apparent (and appealing) logic of being guided by measurements, but I struggle to give it precedence when applied to a subjective pursuit.

Each to their own, though. Live and let live.

Btw, I own an RME dac, so the two worlds do sometimes collide :D

Yes, it is a subjective hobby but I think people miss the point of ASR. 

I read plenty of subjective reviews full of flowery prose, full of the usual cliches, extolling the virtues of a piece of equipment when playing the reviewers favourite Hi-Res composition... only to find that measurements (often collaborated by other sites/reviews) show that it isn’t capable of >16 bits of resolution.

Wouldn't you be gutted if your large and expensive Hi-Res music collection was rendered no better than normal lossless resolution.

The negative reaction towards measurements on forums always surprises me, another useful datapoint when selecting equipment should be seen as a good thing. Shouldn’t it?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I read plenty of subjective reviews full of flowery prose, full of the usual cliches, extolling the virtues of a piece of equipment when playing the reviewers favourite Hi-Res composition... only to find that measurements (often collaborated by other sites/reviews) show that it isn’t capable of >16 bits of resolution.

Wouldn't you be gutted if your large and expensive Hi-Res music collection was rendered no better than normal lossless resolution.

The negative reaction towards measurements on forums always surprises me, another useful datapoint when selecting equipment should be seen as a good thing. Shouldn’t it?

Very well put sir...I stand corrected :)

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

This is madness. Have you even sat down and compared them for yourself?

Out of interest, how many hours a week do you spend listening to the equipment you sell?

There is a problem with being a hifi enthusiast and a hifi dealer all in one.  The temptation is to stock the things you like and so that limits you to likeminded customers.

Then there is the problem of stocking stuff you may not like but the mags recommend and so customers come looking and if you do not have it then chances are you will not get a sale.

Then there is the other problem with being an enthusiast - you get stuff in that looks great to try it out - only to find it is awful and you cannot sell it on (this is true when trying to latch on to products abroad where there is no dealer in the UK).   It should be noted that one very famous distributor started this way - used to come into the shop with all sorts for an opinion (not all good) but he had a rich wife or money elsewhere .. he continued until he struck lucky with a few prized items that sold well.

Most dealers would support blind listening tests - but to the open minded these are not necessary  to those with closed minds who prefer bling and style even when you show them they liked summat else better in a blind test they still buy what they wanted to in the first place.

So I do sympathise with dealers - it was hard enough in the 70s when we refused to stock items that went bang usually in the first year and stuck to the Technics and other Jap stuff at the lower end because it was pain free on customers returning items (they hardly ever went wrong).

last but not least is the punter who comes in to try stuff - then goes to find it second hand on ebay or elsewhere or a cheaper price elsewhere.  

As for being a dealer on a HiFi forum then the problem is when to say summat or keep Shtum as unless carefully worded and considered people will think you are just trying to impose your views 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

I suppose I've got to the point where I consider my listening experiences to be my datapoint.

Again, whatever works for each person.

If we went purely by ,measurements, would anyone ever buy a turntable as opposed to digital? And, yet, I know which one really turns me on...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

I've always thought that the best upgrade for any digital system is a 15" woofer...

I did exactly this a couple of weeks ago :cool:.

• Like 2