Leem

Johnny Darko

1 minute ago, Leem said:

So I'm not a music lover because I disagree with you, and actually understand and believe the science that makes it all work in the first place then?

More ammo..great. I understand perfectly well your techinical explanations too....but as I said...somethings can't be reasoned with logic and test data, and that my friend is my point. 

2 minutes ago, Leem said:

So I'm not a music lover because I disagree with you, and actually understand and believe the science that makes it all work in the first place then?

You should not believe, you should find out for your self

2 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’m just about to pour a rum and coke... don’t worry, I’ll measure it well 👍🏻

oops wrong thread lol 😂

Yes, but will your taste buds detect the carefull measurements, will your head tomorrow morning thank you for your precision :)

Super Wammer
Just now, Mad4it said:

Yes, but will your taste buds detect the carefull measurements, will your head tomorrow morning thank you for your precision :)

Crap! Your right!! 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mentt said:

Actually rule is very simple :  have real life experience with the gear before you post your opinions on the forums 

We can have opinions about one's experience (taste) but we can also have opinions based on how an equipment performs in the test bench (performance).

The former describes how much or little you enjoy the sound of a piece of equipment, the latter how accurately it reproduces the recorded signal.

For some people, like myself, the two happen to be tendentiously one and the same.

Super Wammer
50 minutes ago, Leem said:

As a bloke with a degree in physics and 35+ years working in IT I suspect I have enough real life experience

You don’t. Your working in IT appears to consist of assorted what used to be called ‘Data Processing’ jobs. That doesn’t mean you have a good understanding of what is going on at a low level with USB or S/PDIF digital signal transmission over a cable  and what effect that might have on the receiving DAC. On the other hand, Mans, who has posted on this thread, does have a good understanding of the technical issues, and yet he still disagrees with people like myself who think different digital cables can make an audible difference. I have no problem with that and I’m pleased he is posting on this forum after giving up on Audiophile Style. It is an interesting and complicated subject, but it appears you are too far below the Dunning/Kruger level to understand what exactly it is you don’t know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rdale said:

You don’t. Your working in IT appears to consist of assorted what used to be called ‘Data Processing’ jobs. That doesn’t mean you have a good understanding of what is going on at a low level with USB or S/PDIF digital signal transmission over a cable  and what effect that might have on the receiving DAC. On the other hand, Mans, who has posted on this thread, does have a good understanding of the technical issues, and yet he still disagrees with people like myself who think different digital cables can make an audible difference. I have no problem with that and I’m pleased he is posting on this forum after giving up on Audiophile Style. It is an interesting and complicated subject, but it appears you are too far below the Dunning/Kruger level to understand what exactly it is you don’t know.

What a load of tosh, you have no idea what my background in IT is.

As it happens it covered data transmission, Comms, audio systems, and acoustics. I'm old enough to have had to build my own TCP and UDP systems for all sorts of systems from formula 1 to torpedo sonar systems. 

Don't tar us all with your lack of knowledge

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Leem said:

What a load of tosh, you have no idea what my background in IT is.

As it happens it covered data transmission, Comms, audio systems, and acoustics. I'm old enough to have had to build my own TCP and UDP systems for all sorts of systems from formula 1 to torpedo sonar systems. 

Don't tar us all with your lack of knowledge

Oh I’m sorry - I apologise for getting your background completely wrong. It is just that the term ‘IT Consultant’ normally means ‘Data Processing’ and I expect people with your kind of background to refer to themselves as ‘Software Engineers’ or similar.

Edited by rdale

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Leem said:

So you should know that digital cables don't change sound

Unfortunately for you, they do change the sound. Pop in if you are ever passing and I will prove it to you within 5 minutes of turning on my audio system.

Super Dealer

No they don’t, just buy a cable that is fit for purpose.

Keith

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, PuritéAudio said:

No they don’t, just buy a cable that is fit for purpose.

Keith

Relentless tosh. 

Super Dealer

Digital Cable manufacturer promotes expensive digital cables , who would have thought !

Keith

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leem said:

As I said right at the start, I'm making conversation to pass the time until the wam show on Sunday 😂

I've not been to the show before.  Does it offer cage fighting to sort these beefs?

Posted (edited)

;)

There's an old, old, old story from (some) cable manufacturers. They used to say,

we design and build cables so that NOTHING is added or taken away from the medium being used and the sound produced..

. So, if, some listeners are hearing something different between 2 different cables...then, the cable manufacturers have either added or removed something from their cable so listeners can distinguish it from other cable. If so...they are not attempting to reproduce  the sound on the CD/vinyl etc. but trying to produce a " cable sound" and subsequently, the ability to charge much, more money.

I buy more expensive cable than , say, Amazon basics ( although they source some good cables very cheaply) for one reason only - it-lasts longer! ;)

Edited by locheeboy