calorgas

WTD: Integrated valve amp

I'm interested in trying a valve amp with my current speakers (Tannoy DMT12). Requirements are:

Must be an integrated amplifier with 4 or more inputs 

~20wpc upwards

Chi-fi is OK as long as it's properly UK rated i.e. 230/240V.

I have an initial preference for KT88 or equivalents (based upon previous experience), but happy to consider others. Might also consider a hybrid (i.e. Unico). Budget is up to around £500 but could go a little higher for something nice. Located in Somerset.

Posted (edited)

Hi calorgas,

It's your lucky day I have a Unico Secondo Integrated for sale on the Wam in really top notch condition and in full working order complete with wood remote control it's a tiny bit over your £500 but worth a lot more than I am asking. Take a look I think it would go really well with your Tannoy's it has bags of power far too much power for my highly efficient Cadence Electrostatics. Regards, Colin.

Edited by Goodtrader

If you can stretch to it, I'd take a serious look at this:

Understand you're after an Integrated but if you can get a simple passive pre amp, that would make a wonderful foray into valves.

6 minutes ago, Goodtrader said:

Hi calorgas,

It's your lucky day I have a Unico Secondo Integrated for sale on the Wam in really top notch condition and in full working order complete with wood remote control it's a tiny bit over your £500 but worth a lot more than I am asking. Take a look I think it would go really well with your Tannoy's it has bags of power fare too much power for my highly efficient Cadence Electrostatics. Regards, Colin.

Thanks Colin and yes I have viewed your advert and it looks like just the ticket, but at £850 it's too far above my budget unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, calorgas said:

Thanks Colin and yes I have viewed your advert and it looks like just the ticket, but at £850 it's too far above my budget unfortunately.

I do understand money is money we all have our limit but you could pay less but not gain as much the Secondo is a truly staggering amplifier at a gift price see how things go contact me if you reconsider.

Kindest regards & best wishes,

Colin. 

8 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:

If you can stretch to it, I'd take a serious look at this:

Understand you're after an Integrated but if you can get a simple passive pre amp, that would make a wonderful foray into valves.

Thanks, I'd spotted that and it's actually located very close to me indeed, in the same town in fact, but I'm really only looking at integrated amps.

2 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Have you seen this?  https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/icon-stereo-20se-single-ended-valve-amplifier.237419/#post-3908822 

I am tempted myself, but I think my QUAD 2805s need more power.  And it's not that far from you.

Yes I have seen that, I've dwelt upon it several times in fact.
I can't find much (or any really) info on this on the web, and I'm also not sure I could live with the looks. But other than that it has indeed tempted me somewhat. Plus I'll be up in Worcester in a couple of weeks, so 3/4 of the way there.

But the looks are definitely....challenging :D 

Yes I thought it looked similar to the Piccolo KT90 in some respects, which in fact is an amp that I have previously owned a few years ago. I think it's the big gold legs that give it a certain visual impact.

I will second the secondo !!!!!!! Look for a prima Luna some pop up at your price sometimes  ...lovely valve amp .

Always liked the look of the Eastern Electric minimax amps their kit  seems to always get glowing reviews

Posted (edited)

I'm in danger of revealing my dirty secret as a terrible box swapper here, but yes the Minimax amps are great - I had the pre/power for a while, bought from Colin/Greybeard iirc, wish I'd never sold them (I've also had other amps suggested so far, including the original Unico, MingDa, Croft series 5.) The Minimax integrated for sale on here looks great but I think 8 wpc is too little for my needs.

(I also have Prima Luna on my ebay saved searches list, eyes firmly peeled :))

Edited by calorgas
  • Like 1