Making my own interconnects

Sparkydude

Hi all.

A change of system has given me an opportunity to really tidy up the rear of my cabinet by using much much shorter cable runs.

I will literally need only 0.25 mtr (if that) interconnects so need advice on what cable to buy, RCA heads to use and what termination kit do I need?

I've read online that WF100 cable is ideally suited as an interconnect but is this true? I'm new to all this DIY business so any help you guys n gals can give would be great! I've also read something about 75ohm cable standards but again, I'm unsure? 

Should I be not connecting one end of the shielding to prevent ground loops/interference?

I hope you guys can help me out!

Mike.

I've used WF100. 

0.25 m is unnecessarily short and I'd advise at least 0.5 m. WF100 is a little stiff and trying to make something too short may well damage the shielding and compromise its performance.

Connect the shield of coaxial cable like WF100 at both ends.

Having said all this you could buy a ready made cable for less than you could make one and I doubt you'd realistically notice any difference. For example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B079FTRQ1D/ref=psdcmw_1338421031_t3_B003PU2LWW?th=1&psc=1

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I've used WF100. 

0.25 m is unnecessarily short and I'd advise at least 0.5 m. WF100 is a little stiff and trying to make something too short may well damage the shielding and compromise its performance.

Connect the shield of coaxial cable like WF100 at both ends.

Having said all this you could buy a ready made cable for less than you could make one and I doubt you'd realistically notice any difference. For example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B079FTRQ1D/ref=psdcmw_1338421031_t3_B003PU2LWW?th=1&psc=1

Bloody Amazon taking over the world! :D

I feel a bit dejected now though as I was kinda looking forward to the little project. :(

I guess it makes logical sense to just buy what I need I suppose.

Thanks Martin. :^

29 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Nothing at all wrong with making your own if you fancy it 🙂. I'll probably make some more myself. 

So in this case, if I decide to make my own, can you recommend the necessary cable, connections and the right termination kit for me?

I think I'll enjoy making my own because I can keep the cable runs as short and as neat as I need them to be. :^

I was in a similar position as yourself and used hifi collective - choose your price! They have a handy video channel for making too

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/cablehome.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/hificollective/videos

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I was in a similar position as yourself and used hifi collective - choose your price! They have a handy video channel for making too

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/cablehome.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/hificollective/videos

+1 for HiFi Collective from me too. I used Duelund dca20ga cable, KLE RCA plugs and Mundorf silver solder from them to make my own interconnects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you want that sort of stuff, Hificollective is as good as you can get. You can find stuff around Europe, but HFC's prices are fair and their service is excellent.

• Like 1

Wow guys that's awesome! I'll check that out definitely. B|

Nearly all my ICs are made with my fair hands, though I do have  a few longer pairs for odd use that came from amazon and the digital ones I bought from Designacable because for some reason I always have problems doing BNC connectors.

I used to use Eichmann plugs and have a few of the new versions, plus some from Elecaudio which are near identical and a lot cheaper. A mixture of cable, but mostly (whisper it) Van Damme XKE and Mogami starquad. Soldering Eichmanns is a bit of a pain, but some attention to sleeving and shrink fit so they're physically robust and they're as good as any commercial equivalent.

There's a great deal of satisfaction from doing anything yourself, and the sort of quality you're looking at with decent cable and connectors would cost a great deal more if you bought it ready made.

Incidentally, I don't use WF100 or similar, because it's technically more suited to digital. That said, it would be perfectly good I have no doubt. I just prefer to use two-conductor plus screen, so I can connect the screen at one end only to try and avoid any hum issues.

• Upvote 1

I was about to buy a glass house kit from hifi collective, still bloomin expensive imo . I want to make my own interconnects and speaker cables but I find all the options of cable and plugs a little overwhelming, any pointers would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, andyrlb said:

I was about to buy a glass house kit from hifi collective, still bloomin expensive imo . I want to make my own interconnects and speaker cables but I find all the options of cable and plugs a little overwhelming, any pointers would be much appreciated.

They do a Glass House Kit No. 11 with the Duelund cable I personally use with Switchcraft RCA plugs starting at 32.66 pounds plus VAT. That is really good value, and it will be by no means a budget cable sound wise.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/glasshouse-interconnect-cable-kit-no-11.html

For speaker cable if you use Duelund DCA16GA, the recommended way is to lightly twist them together and use bare wire connections. So fairly easy as a DIY project, and they work out at about 40 pounds per meter for a stereo pair.

I replaced some quite pricey Siltech interconnects and Nordost speaker cables in my system with Duelund wire in cotton and oil cables, and with valve amps and efficient speakers they sound great.

Thanks, i will check it out , luckily ( or not ) hifi collective are only 2 miles away .

Cheers

Had a good look at the hificollective site but there's just too much choice! 14 different interconnects! :O

It's just baffled my mind even further than it needed to be. :(

• Like 1