Making my own interconnects

Sparkydude

Ok so the Duelund speaker cables are now installed.
Next question, according to Nick at Hifi collective the same cable used as an interconnect requires 100 hours “ run in “ time , eh !! Really? What does that do to cable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, andyrlb said:

Next question, according to Nick at Hifi collective the same cable used as an interconnect requires 100 hours “ run in “ time , eh !! Really? What does that do to cable ?

It does nothing other than waste 100 hours.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Of course. But the separation can be measured in inches rather than feet. I have read some descriptions with one near the floor and the other near the ceiling.

Agree entirely. 👍

The properties of any cable will change when electrical current is passed through it. Whether that effect bears a sonic change is one that will, and is currently debated passionately online.

Now, I'm refering to current in a 240/400V system. Whether that same effect translates to the tiny current that is passed through an interconnect..... I'm not so sure. Burn in at these kind of electrical currents is just not a requirement at all. IMO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparkydude said:

The properties of any cable will change when electrical current is passed through it. Whether that effect bears a sonic change is one that will, and is currently debated passionately online.........................

They will only occur  if the cable is overloaded well past it's current or voltage safety limit.   

27 minutes ago, andyrlb said:

I use Duelund DCA16GA for speaker cable, but DCA20GA for interconnects. Some people prefer DCA16GA for interconnects, but I didn’t experiment with that. If you have less efficient speakers some people use DCA12GA.

The Duelund cable certainly needs a while to burn in, and it doesn’t like being disturbed. I’ve no idea what happens to make it sound different but it is best to give it a day or two with a track on auto repeat.

I use Duelund DCA16GA for speaker cable, but DCA20GA for interconnects. Some people prefer DCA16GA for interconnects, but I didn’t experiment with that. If you have less efficient speakers some people use DCA12GA.
The Duelund cable certainly needs a while to burn in, and it doesn’t like being disturbed. I’ve no idea what happens to make it sound different but it is best to give it a day or two with a track on auto repeat.

Oops yes it is the dca20ga or kit number 11.
Just going to dinner then I’ll start making them.

19 minutes ago, andyrlb said:

Oops yes it is the dca20ga or kit number 11.
Just going to dinner then I’ll start making them.

Another endorsement for the Duelund wires. I ended up buying an interconnect I don't need – DCA16GA because that was the only game in town at the time – just out of curiosity because I thought the speaker cables were so good.

To put this in some kind of context, my normal Kondo cables were about 10 times the price of the Duelund stuff even 'oven-ready.' The Duelund cables to me are a kind of 'Kondo-lite' in that they share many of the same virtues, just without the same 'depth of flavour.' Think Knorr cube rather than home-made stock while I'm labouring the culinary metaphor.

I agree the speaker cables need time to settle and don't like to be fiddled with (so probably not Jimmy Saville's first choice then), which again is similar to the Japanese product. If you find them a wee bit bass-light, there's always the option to double them up.

I vaguely recall the interconnects were a bit sibilant at first, but that dissipated pretty quickly. To be honest I'm not sure mine were fully run-in, they were only in the system for maybe a day and a half.

I would think they'd suit your Marantz very well.

I wonder if the power cables are any good? They weren't around either when I were a lad.

Edited by notevenclose
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Speedskater said:

50 Ohms or 75 Ohms and OFC copper are NOT important considerations for a RCA analog interconnect.

Why? (50 vs 75).

Edited by TheFlash

1 hour ago, notevenclose said:

Another endorsement for the Duelund wires. I ended up buying an interconnect I don't need – DCA16GA because that was the only game in town at the time – just out of curiosity because I thought the speaker cables were so good.

To put this in some kind of context, my normal Kondo cables were about 10 times the price of the Duelund stuff even 'oven-ready.' The Duelund cables to me are a kind of 'Kondo-lite' in that they share many of the same virtues, just without the same 'depth of flavour.' Think Knorr cube rather than home-made stock while I'm labouring the culinary metaphor.

I agree the speaker cables need time to settle and don't like to be fiddled with (so probably not Jimmy Saville's first choice then), which again is similar to the Japanese product. If you find them a wee bit bass-light, there's always the option to double them up.

I would think they'd suit your Marantz very well.

I wonder if the power cables are any good? They weren't around either when I were a lad.

So speaker cables need time to "settle". What is this settle?

Edited by TheFlash

1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

So the guy who doesn't think 50ohm vs 75 ohm is relevant thinks speaker cables need time to "settle". What is this settle?

Uh... Wrong spy. I've stated absolutely no opinion on impedance issues with cables. Maybe retrace your steps on that one and correct accordingly?

'Settle?' Well, 'burn-in' then if you prefer. You know, like a cat exploring a new home, sticking its nose in every conceivable nook and cranny while making notes on where the warmest spots are and identifying best places for an ambush.

No actually, thinking about it, I probably do mean 'settle.'

I did lend my Duelund cables to a mate who wasn't much impressed initially – I think 'f*** all difference' was the concise turn of phrase employed but he seemed to rather warm to them as he wanted to buy them and hasn't given the interconnect back. Unfortunately I have no corroborating statement from his wife, hamster or the kid's goldfish to clich the argument. 

Edited by notevenclose
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

50 Ohms or 75 Ohms and OFC copper are NOT important considerations for a RCA analog interconnect.

Why? (50 vs 75).

Because those are about the Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance. It doesn't mean much below one megahertz.

1 hour ago, notevenclose said:

Uh... Wrong spy. I've stated absolutely no opinion on impedance issues with cables. Maybe retrace your steps on that one and correct accordingly?

'Settle?' Well, 'burn-in' then if you prefer. You know, like a cat exploring a new home, sticking its nose in every conceivable nook and cranny while making notes on where the warmest spots are and identifying best places for an ambush.

50/75 bit deleted with apologies.

"Settle" (raised eyebrows emoji) remains!

28 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Because those are about the Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance. It doesn't mean much below one megahertz.

Thank you, I will read up on this.