Making my own interconnects

Sparkydude

2 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

I've got 16 metres of Mogami 2543 here waiting to be made into a mix of XLR and standard RCA interconnects once the RCA plugs arrive ......should of been yesterday but things get delayed at the mo for obvious reasons.

Do you think you could post a few pics of how you terminate the cables just for educational purposes? 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2020 at 07:37, MF 1000 said:

To get my multi amp active system up and running I've used a variety of cheap xlr to xlr and xlr to RCA cables from eBay (less than £5 a set) .  No apparent issues though I will be making some from the Mogami 2534 this year....mainly to use better plugs and longer lengths to let me relocate my amp tower (5 amps & 2 Behringer dcx crossovers) 

Hope the arm mends etc and if you neeecany assistance with kit connection/moving etc just shout I'm only 45 mins away 

Thanks for that pal. :)

No problem Mike ...will do pics etc

• Like 1

On 14/03/2020 at 18:32, mnky said:

Hi

I decided to make up up some phono to phono leads a few days ago .. using Van Damme XKE instrument cable and Rean Neutrik RCA Phono plugs. (NYS373-0  NYS373-2) ....got the bits off ebay ...low cost stuff. I like the plugs as they have long metal bodies with a plastic "chuck" which grabs the cable well as the plug shell is tightened up. The Van Damme cable is well made coax...flexible....quality professional cable. £1 ish per metre .

I especially like the colours ....most import after the build quality.xD

I have some cobra god knows what with directional arrows ...lol ....but I had to re-make the connections ....then one of the metal chucks broke a tang off ....got fed up with them and chucked them in the understairs cupboard ....when you've had a few on a Saturday night ....the last thing you need is trying to figure out why one channel us playing up.

If you make your own ....make sure the plugs are happy with your cable diameter ...you want a good snug fit .... 6mm for the Van Damme and the Rean Neutrik plugs in this case ....

Oh yeah ....forgot ....I used single conductor with coaxial shield .... they do multi conductor coax too .....although I can't see why you'd want multi conductor for phono leads .....

Cheers

Gerr

Is it true that Phono leads have to have extra low impedance due to the low signal being carried by the cable? 

This is well worth a read...read this, digested it, came up with my own interpretation and lost my cable scepticism. Have these cables through my system now to not inconsiderable good effect.

Edit...I wouldn't use this type of lead for cartridge/deck to phonostage - no screening. No screening not generally a problem for line level though.

Edited by ff1d1l
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sparkydude said:

Is it true that Phono leads have to have extra low impedance due to the low signal being carried by the cable? 

Hi

No I wouldn't say that to be honest.  Don't confuse Resistance and Impedance.

I think the best thing for you to do if you're interested is google and see if you can find a tutorial on the subject. It's way too complicated for a comment on a forum.  

Good Luck 

(I cheated on my transmission line theory final in the 70's ....... there said it ! ) ......so I don't think i'd be much good now anyway when the going gets "mathsy" ......:?  

Gerr 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ff1d1l said:

This is well worth a read...read this, digested it, came up with my own interpretation and lost my cable scepticism. Have these cables through my system now to not inconsiderable good effect.

Edit...I wouldn't use this type of lead for cartridge/deck to phonostage - no screening. No screening not generally a problem for line level though.

Interesting (if very lengthy) investigations which mirror my findings. I thought the very same, there can't be any difference between cables but I found there definitely is. 

I have been a Van Damme speaker cable user for a good while. When a set of Tellerium Q Black II came up for sale at a reasonable price, I decided to try it out. Now I listen to music set at 60 on my amp which correlates to 80dB so I swapped out the 4mm Van Damme for T-Q stuff. 

I instantly noticed a difference in the sound. There was more detail in the top end and I was hearing things I hadn't heard before in tracks I was very familiar with. I was shocked to be honest as what I was hearing went against my belief but its true, there definitely was a difference. 

Crazy huh. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mnky said:

Hi

No I wouldn't say that to be honest.  Don't confuse Resistance and Impedance.

I think the best thing for you to do if you're interested is google and see if you can find a tutorial on the subject. It's way too complicated for a comment on a forum.  

Good Luck 

(I cheated on my transmission line theory final in the 70's ....... there said it ! ) ......so I don't think i'd be much good now anyway when the going gets "mathsy" ......:?  

Gerr 

I'm an electrician by trade and my understanding of resistance and impedance is that they are the same except that resistance is a value given in ohms on a cable that is not energised. 

Impedance is a value given in ohms on a cable that IS energised. 

On an electrical installation, when doing an Initial Verification (testing on a brand new installation), on each circuit, we measure the R1 (live cable) + R2 (earth cable) to confirm both polarity and to ensure the CPC (Earth) is not broken. This is a "dead test" with no circuits energised. 

After the installation is energised, we then carry out (amongst many other tests), a Zs (Earth Fault Loop Impedance) test on those same circuits. This is a test to ensure that the protective device will trip in the event of a single fault on that circuit. If the impedance (resistance) is too high, either the cable needs to be uprated (increase the Cross Sectional Area) to counteract the high impedance or the protective device needs to be changed to suit the impedance value. 

99% of the time, the protective device is downrated/uprated to suit the impedance as pulling a new cable in is usually impractical. 

P.S. I'm not too great at maths either. :D

• Upvote 1

My RCA plugs arrived in the post today ...so ready to start on the leads now.  Got conference calls for most of the afternoon so it will be tomorrow when I start 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

My RCA plugs arrived in the post today ...so ready to start on the leads now.  Got conference calls for most of the afternoon so it will be tomorrow when I start 

Cool! Do you think you could post a few pics? I know it's a P.I.T.A but it would be nice to see your efforts! :)

6 hours ago, Sparkydude said:

I'm an electrician by trade and my understanding of resistance and impedance is that they are the same except that resistance is a value given in ohms on a cable that is not energised.   Impedance is a value given in ohms on a cable that IS energised.

P.S. I'm not too great at maths either. :D

Actually resistance is the value in Ohms mostly measured for the DC value, but there is also AC resistance.

Impedance is only has AC values . It includes Capacitance & Inductance as well as Resistance. Impedance will change depending on what frequency it's measured at.  The values remain the same whether the circuit is energized or not.

Note that the 75 or 50 Ohm value, you often see with coax cables is a very different measurement than circuit R,L,C circuit impedance measurements.

It's the 'Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance' of an infinitely long cable. It's part of 'transmission line' theory and lets not get into that theory.

18 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Actually resistance is the value in Ohms mostly measured for the DC value, but there is also AC resistance.

Impedance is only has AC values . It includes Capacitance & Inductance as well as Resistance. Impedance will change depending on what frequency it's measured at.  The values remain the same whether the circuit is energized or not.

Hmmm. Maybe my side of things is slightly different to the DC/electronics side of things but I can assure you that the impedance of a cable does change with temperature. 

Once the cable is at full operating temperature, the impedance value is definitely different to the measured resistance when not energised. 

I see this on a daily basis when carrying out test & inspection. 

Not that it matters really as I honestly don't care! :D :D

3 minutes ago, Sparkydude said:

Hmmm. Maybe my side of things is slightly different to the DC/electronics side of things but I can assure you that the impedance of a cable does change with temperature. 

Once the cable is at full operating temperature, the impedance value is definitely different to the measured resistance when not energised. 

I see this on a daily basis when carrying out test & inspection. 

Not that it matters really as I honestly don't care! :D :D

If the cables in your hifi are changing temperature in use then I'd suggest you have a major problem!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1