Jump to content

Making my own interconnects


Sparkydude
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If the cables in your hifi are changing temperature in use then I'd suggest you have a major problem!

See. This is why I shouldn't have said anything. :D

I'm talking about 240/400V systems. The load a speaker draws pales in comparison to the loads I work with. 

Having said that, any electrical current WILL involve heat.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had time today to build some cables .....decided to move my multi amp/digital crossover rack into the corner of the room so all of my stock of Mogami was used to replace the input leads from my pre (RCA to RCA) and the output leads from one DCX to my MingDa 845 monoblocks ....16 m used in a flash.

This Mogami 2543 has two twisted pairs of signal wire plus a copper braid shield.  

IMG_0216.JPG.8eb524e6aa5062e7c24a41751463f5b8.JPG

for the RCA to RCA interconnects the DCX crossover end would be a simple use of the blue wires for +ve and the clear wires for the -ve.

IMG_0217.JPG.9b949f0c5f382dca0f64ff078e4ae3d0.JPG

here is the wires divided and the screen trimmed back & insulated.

and soldered in place 

IMG_0219.JPG.b245f248a58fa28246dcd312742c82a9.JPG

At the source end (preamp) I attached a lead wire to the screen and folded this back, trimming a bit off the rear of the RCA plug to allow the wire out.  This wire will be connected to the ground post on the preamp.

IMG_0221.JPG.17b5be3812e88a888710fcf0a2811f6d.JPG

And here are the two ends of the finished lead

IMG_0222.JPG.209482bc88d90e3543150c623407dd4f.JPG

The process was repeated for the XLR to RCA leads for the monoblocks, but on these the shield was attached to the -ve.

All ow reconnected ...sound wise no 'night & day' moment, tho Jane did comment that the bass sounded 'fuller' ......I'll do some REW test tomorrow and post them on my Volts thread.

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

Had time today to build some cables .....decided to move my multi amp/digital crossover rack into the corner of the room so all of my stock of Mogami was used to replace the input leads from my pre (RCA to RCA) and the output leads from one DCX to my MingDa 845 monoblocks ....16 m used in a flash.

This Mogami 2543 has two twisted pairs of signal wire plus a copper braid shield.  

IMG_0216.JPG.8eb524e6aa5062e7c24a41751463f5b8.JPG

for the RCA to RCA interconnects the DCX crossover end would be a simple use of the blue wires for +ve and the clear wires for the -ve.

IMG_0217.JPG.9b949f0c5f382dca0f64ff078e4ae3d0.JPG

here is the wires divided and the screen trimmed back & insulated.

and soldered in place 

IMG_0219.JPG.b245f248a58fa28246dcd312742c82a9.JPG

At the source end (preamp) I attached a lead wire to the screen and folded this back, trimming a bit off the rear of the RCA plug to allow the wire out.  This wire will be connected to the ground post on the preamp.

IMG_0221.JPG.17b5be3812e88a888710fcf0a2811f6d.JPG

And here are the two ends of the finished lead

IMG_0222.JPG.209482bc88d90e3543150c623407dd4f.JPG

The process was repeated for the XLR to RCA leads for the monoblocks, but on these the shield was attached to the -ve.

All ow reconnected ...sound wise no 'night & day' moment, tho Jane did comment that the bass sounded 'fuller' ......I'll do some REW test tomorrow and post them on my Volts thread.

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

Absolutely fantastic job mate! Love what you've done! 

Bonus that the missus noticed a difference though. Whenever Janine (my wife) mentions something you know you're on the right track as she really doesn't give a monkeys! 

You should be proud mate! Brilliant job. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike....would if been better if I'd had some shrink tubing to insulate the drain wires ....maybe a retro fit later on.

I'll have to order more cable to finish my rewire tho now ...moving my rack was a good move but ate up the cable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MF 1000 said:

Thanks Mike....would if been better if I'd had some shrink tubing to insulate the drain wires ....maybe a retro fit later on.

I'll have to order more cable to finish my rewire tho now ...moving my rack was a good move but ate up the cable.

You're welcome! I think they great without the sleeving and, to be honest, I didn't even realise until you mentioned it! :D

There's nothing worse than not being as ble to complete a job there and then. Eats away at you doesn't it (or is that just me)? Hehehe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think having hifi as a hobby either increases your 'issues' or sets seeds in your head and they develop ....lol. It's a form of neurosis I think 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MF 1000 said:

I think having hifi as a hobby either increases your 'issues' or sets seeds in your head and they develop ....lol. It's a form of neurosis I think 

You're not wrong! It's a curse this hobby of ours. It can bring so much joy but horrific doubt at the same time! Have I done this right, that right, are my speakers toed in correctly..... The list goes on and on. :(

I sometimes miss my simple soundbar. :D

Doing a load of measurements in the morning ready to install all the new cable etc etc. So there's a load of stress I don't need but, curiously, I'm really looking forward to it! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What cable did you go for in the end Mike ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After doing some listening late last night & today my impression of the Mogami is that voices/vocal are crisper and there has been a reduction in background hiss - can be a feature of active systems running Behringer DCX crossovers.

Ive done some checks using REW and the reduction in 'hiss' has enabled me to flatten my response curve - see my thread on Sub bass/bass with Volt drivers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The next delivery of bulk cable arrived this morning.  Did a quick assesmble of the 4 leads that connect the output from the second DCX to the two SMTL amps that run the tweeters in my KEF's and the Fostex T90A super tweeters.  Nice short (0.5m) lengths XLR to RCA.  

A quick listen after reconnecting everything and once again a lower noise floor (hiss) 😁......Frankly I don't care what onthers may say about this cable not being suitable/necessary for home hifi use - the proof is in the 'listening' and with each cable I replace with the Mogami I'm encouraged to do more - and at £6 a liner metre pair (excluding plugs) it's a bargain compared to most interconnects out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...