Headcoat

Listening Chair

Recommended Posts

I'm about to embark on a search for a new listening chair. Budget £1,500 maximum. It will double as an Xbox gaming throne. Can the chair make a difference to sound etc?

But seriously, does anyone have any recommendations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

You need to be at a height that is relevant to your speakers...other than that choose comfort.

20200215_155319.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Something comfortable Sir.

Edited by Hap Hazzard
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigrod said:

You need to be at a height that is relevant to your speakers...other than that choose comfort.

20200215_155319.jpg

Yikes, that is ugly. Apologies to anyone who has this chair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

You’ve enough for a deposit on the matching footstool...

https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=gamut+lobster+chair

I was offered this on my only visit to Stone Audio and can say it is very comfortable.  As something much more traditional and affordable, I like the Next Sherlock range. https://www3.next.co.uk/homeware/sofas-chairs/sherlock/size-chair-(1-seat)-fabric-boucle-weave-charcoal-feet-high-tapered-light#style_DMn:0_DMx:12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a replica Eames lounge chair? https://www.swiveluk.com/uk/chairs/eames-lounge-chair.html

Or there's a more simple design in the Van Der Rohe Barcelona - for which you'd really need the footstool also fro proper reclining comfort. https://inhome-design.co.uk/barcelona-chair/258-barcelona-chair-cognac-premium-leather.html

(Please note that I do not know either of these retailers, they were just high up the list on google search).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I cannot recommend mine because it was a one-off sale item for £795 (instead of of £1595) reduced in order for my local JL branch to clear some space a couple of years ago ...

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-claverdon-semi-aniline-leather-armchair-galveston-hide/p1443116

Well worth £795 but not worth full price.

My wife loves our IKEA Strandmon armchairs (and matching footstools) ...

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/strandmon-wing-chair-nordvalla-red-10433244/

They are really well made and comfortable.

I am too old (approaching ‘late fifties’) to buy uncomfortable design statements or ‘architect chairs’ and I prefer something with excellent head and neck support.

Edited by chebby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris_bates1974 said:

How about a replica Eames lounge chair? https://www.swiveluk.com/uk/chairs/eames-lounge-chair.html

Or there's a more simple design in the Van Der Rohe Barcelona - for which you'd really need the footstool also fro proper reclining comfort. https://inhome-design.co.uk/barcelona-chair/258-barcelona-chair-cognac-premium-leather.html

(Please note that I do not know either of these retailers, they were just high up the list on google search).

The Eames looks interesting. The Barcelona though stylish doesn't look as if I'd want to fall asleep at 3am after 4 tins of NEIPA and a long listening session. Cheers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chebby said:

I cannot recommend mine because it was a one-off sale item for £795 (instead of of £1595) reduced in order for my local JL branch to clear some space a couple of years ago ...

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-claverdon-semi-aniline-leather-armchair-galveston-hide/p1443116

Well worth £795 but not worth full price.

My wife loves our IKEA Strandmon armchairs (and matching footstools) ...

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/strandmon-wing-chair-nordvalla-red-10433244/

They are really well made and comfortable.

I am too old (approaching ‘late fifties’) to buy uncomfortable design statements or ‘architect chairs’ and I prefer something with excellent head and neck support.

Despite heading for your age, both feel a little austere for me. Though I do agree on comfort.

Edited by Headcoat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

Okay but no head support and nothing to ‘catch’ your head when you drift off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

On a sensible note, I've always assumed you don't want anything that is above shoulder level, and certainly not at ear height, as it's going to have some effect on the sound.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.