Headcoat

Listening Chair

Posted (edited)
On 11/03/2020 at 14:36, Nopiano said:

You’ve enough for a deposit on the matching footstool...

https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=gamut+lobster+chair

I was offered this on my only visit to Stone Audio and can say it is very comfortable.  As something much more traditional and affordable, I like the Next Sherlock range. https://www3.next.co.uk/homeware/sofas-chairs/sherlock/size-chair-(1-seat)-fabric-boucle-weave-charcoal-feet-high-tapered-light#style_DMn:0_DMx:12

I missed that Lobster chair first time around. If I were a rich man I would take a punt on it, it's gorgeous and sound wise who knows. Sadly I am not a rich man. 

Edited by Headcoat

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Headcoat said:

I missed that Lobster chair first time around. If I were a rich man I would take a punt on it, it's gorgeous and sound wise who knows. Sadly I am not a rich man. 

Me neither, but it’s definitely worth seeing and hearing once.  Stone Audio are near Dorchester, if you’re ever nearby!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

For a single chair, I'd guess that choice of material (fabric / leather) wouldn't make a huge amount of difference as once you're sat in it, you're going to cover the majority of the front surface anyway. I'm assuming that you mainly wear fabric rather than leather (you're not a Viking, are you?) :D So that would counteract most of the reflective effect of a leather covering. (OK so if you're paranoid then there will be secondary / tertiary reflections off the sides and rear of the chair....)

I would tend to agree with Mr. Rabski though that it would be preferable to avoid having something high-backed that creates reflections directly at ear level. Although it was driven more by aesthetics / comfort than any other consideration, when we recently bought our sofa (leather) we went for one with adjustable head rests. For general slouching / watching TV / non-critical listening I can put the headrest up and nod off at leisure! (it reclines too) For "proper" listening I put it down, and yes I do notice a difference. With the headrests in place I notice an over-emphasis on the midrange that tends to "harden" the sound and mildly flatten my illusion of soundstage depth. YMMV of course but if you can find something with a similar adjustable feature, you have the best of both worlds. :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1389.jpg

Edited by Jules_S
Photo
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

For a single chair, I'd guess that choice of material (fabric / leather) wouldn't make a huge amount of difference as once you're sat in it, you're going to cover the majority of the front surface anyway. I'm assuming that you mainly wear fabric rather than leather (you're not a Viking, are you?) :D So that would counteract most of the reflective effect of a leather covering. (OK so if you're paranoid then there will be secondary / tertiary reflections off the sides and rear of the chair....)

I would tend to agree with Mr. Rabski though that it would be preferable to avoid having something high-backed that creates reflections directly at ear level. Although it was driven more by aesthetics / comfort than any other consideration, when we recently bought our sofa (leather) we went for one with adjustable head rests. For general slouching / watching TV / non-critical listening I can put the headrest up and nod off at leisure! (it reclines too) For "proper" listening I put it down, and yes I do notice a difference. With the headrests in place I notice an over-emphasis on the midrange that tends to "harden" the sound and mildly flatten my illusion of soundstage depth. YMMV of course but if you can find something with a similar adjustable feature, you have the best of both worlds. :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1389.jpg

Some good points, thank you.

Well, I'm off to demo speakers with my amp on Tuesday. Afterwards the plan is to visit John Lewis for a demo of a couple of chairs; I shall take my amp into the store, along with some speakers and set up in the furniture section, confident they won't throw me out ;-)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

Well, I'm off to demo speakers with my amp on Tuesday. Afterwards the plan is to visit John Lewis for a demo of a couple of chairs; I shall take my amp into the store, along with some speakers and set up in the furniture section, confident they won't throw me out ;-)

Room correction will be a bitch in there...

• Upvote 1

I’d be careful if you choose a Chinese reproduction eames chair. I owned one for a while but the build quality wasn’t very good and as the chair sits on a single swivel they need to be well made. You could always buy a genuine Herman Miller Vitra but you’d be looking closer to £4k for a genuine one😳

Ive nearly finished building a neutra boomerang chair, they retail at £1600 so I decided to build one. 

4-CD22-D6-A-8-B5-A-4084-A37-D-E93412-AA5

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

We now have a shared listening chair..

Kindest regards Julian 

20200321_151126.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Although Princess Mitzy has bagged it for now.

Kindest regards Julian 

Super Wammer

20200321_174218.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

It's looking like the John Lewis option in leather. Not sure if it'll be possible to get it before everywhere closes now, I doubt it. Something to look forward to along with a pair of Quad Z1's which with their upper mid-band dip might just be my perfect speaker. Really interesting that the frequency range I'm real sensitive to (2-5khz)is exactly where the Z1's have a dip. I didn't know this when demo'ing but was blown away by them. Looked up their frequency graph on return and well I never! Measurements are for real. Amongst other things that is; many of which we have no idea of.

Edited by Headcoat

Super Wammer

Well the chair that Diane got me is just bonkers but I love it..comfortable and the right height..she did listen when I said it had to have either low or no sides so as not to absorb the sound closest to the body.. .....AND she can join me...ahhh.

On Diane's behalf I think this should be in the totally nice thread

Kindest regards Julian 

20200325_204502.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Cool!  Original Gales...

Spending an evening listening with a few bottles of beer or a nice whisky, bladder not so strong as it was when you where younger. 

Then this is ideal :cool:

dfaf88ce633b31d2c9b74844e1779934.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Viven said:

Spending an evening listening with a few bottles of beer or a nice whisky, bladder not so strong as it was when you where younger. 

Then this is ideal :cool:

dfaf88ce633b31d2c9b74844e1779934.jpg

oh, you don't know how useful that be!