wadsy

Amp too loud!???...advice please :)

Further to my previous "which amp" threads!...

I eventually bought myself a Unison Research Unico Primo to add to my AA Maestro CD player, Neat Iota Alpha speakers and CXN which plays through the CD player.

Set it up today and it sounds good, but it's very loud, there's a real "SPL" to the sound, even at low volume. At 1 on the scale, the amp is perfectly audible, but at 2 it's loud and 3 is probably too loud!

Now, I'm assuming I've made some sort of school-boy error here with amp/speaker miss-matching? The amp is rated at 80w into 8ohms and my speakers are 4ohm. So, does that mean the speakers are getting 160w?

Can anyone please advise me!....have I, through lack of knowledge 'cocked-up' and need a different amp or...???

Many thanks for any guidance :^

Super Wammer

The speakers should not have that effect. Have you tried the CD player into another input ? as I see one of the line inputs can be connect as a phono input.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

The phono may not be the best one to try as in theory it could be a line level or phono. Try one of the others.

Try Tape,Tuner or AV

Edited by Radioham

No don't try the phono input with a cd player.

You could try some attenuators between the cd player and the amp, they will take the volume down.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A friend had suggested attenuators would sort it out, but after some reading I got the impression that they would have an affect on the sound?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, wadsy said:

A friend had suggested attenuators would sort it out, but after some reading I got the impression that they would have an affect on the sound?

I've used attenuators prior to give more control over volume, particularly for CD. Ought to be just fine, a volume control is after an attenuator (or so I was told, science of it beyond me). 

I actually have a pair of -14db I no longer need. Yours for £7.50 including postage, happy to send pics, they're very well made. Someone else more generous might even offer you a free pair to try... just trying to recoup a little on my ongoing expenditure elsewhere.

On that note, I'm hoping to demo a pair of those NEAT speakers soon. How do you find them?

Edited by Headcoat

ps it's not an issue with amp being to powerful for speakers, they can handle that amp, they would only get 160watts at full volume.

3 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

I've used attenuators prior to give more control over volume, particularly for CD. Ought to be just fine, a volume control is after an attenuator (or so I was told, science of it beyond me). 

I actually have a pair of -14db I no longer need. Yours for £7.50 including postage, happy to send pics, they're are very well made. Someone else more generous might even offer you a free pair to try... just trying to recoup a little on my ongoing expenditure elsewhere.

On that note, I'm hoping to demo a pair of those NEAT speakers soon. How do you find them?

I may well take you up on your offer thanks :^

I'll try the different inputs first though then get back to you if I may.

Re: the Alpha's, I like them; really impressed with the sound from such a small box B| 

5 minutes ago, wadsy said:

I may well take you up on your offer thanks :^

I'll try the different inputs first though then get back to you if I may.

Re: the Alpha's, I like them; really impressed with the sound from such a small box B| 

Sure, drop me a pm if interested.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Either the amplifier has an unusually sensitive input, or the CD player may exceed the standard 2 volt maximum output. Or both?

Line attenuators between the two will give you a wider range of control of volume.  Rothwell are probably the best known brand, but you’ve had some handy offers already. 

Edited by Nopiano
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

This reminds me of a previous thread.

Why do volume controls go all the way round the clock when in my experience half way is more than enough..

Kindest regards Julian 

The Unison Research website says the Primo has an input sensitivity of 260mV.  CD players put out 2000mV!  So yes, this amp is a mistake for CD use.  And it's a very old fashioned sensitivity, from the days when tuners, etc had low outputs.

I had an Albarry integrated for a short while, and that had one input which was less sensitive, for CD players.  If yours doesn't, it's a strange decision by Unison Research.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

The Unison Research website says the Primo has an input sensitivity of 260mV.  CD players put out 2000mV!  So yes, this amp is a mistake for CD use.  And it's a very old fashioned sensitivity, from the days when tuners, etc had low outputs.

I had an Albarry integrated for a short while, and that had one input which was less sensitive, for CD players.  If yours doesn't, it's a strange decision by Unison Research.

Interesting, thanks.

Seems odd that it has a specifically labelled CD input.

Was there info. on their website that would suggest that another input (tuner/tape etc) would be more suitable?

Edited by wadsy