I hate being a harbringer of doom, but the impact of this on commerce is going to be horrendous. People moan constantly about the charges made by airlines, but I've seen it from the other side and I know how little it takes to tip over the edge. Apart from fuel, all the costs are still accumulating when an aircraft is sitting idle and they are massive. Just from the travel and leisure sector, there will be serious commercial casualties. Airlines, travel companies, hotels, bars and restaurants would have been relying on the spring income to make up for the winter season. Concert venues, pubs and clubs? Even if gatherings of under 100 people aren't prohibited, people simply won't turn up.

The other thing that people haven't yet mentioned is all the 'normal' High Street shops. Many are already teetering on the brink and a serious downturn at what should be a major shopping season is going to be the kiss of death for more than one or two retailers. In fact, when you start to think about everything that involves going out or buying anything other than the essentials, it gets rather frightening.

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

The travel/leisure industry in general, not just hotels. We are already seeing cancellations for our holiday cottages. Happily, we aren't dependent on the income to keep body and soul together, at least for a year or two, so we will be able to ride it out.

I would have expected bookings to be up if they're remote!

You might need to tweak your marketing... something about Splendid Self-Isolation should do the trick...

Edited by TheFlash
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, rabski said:

I hate being a harbringer of doom, but the impact of this on commerce is going to be horrendous. People moan constantly about the charges made by airlines, but I've seen it from the other side and I know how little it takes to tip over the edge. Apart from fuel, all the costs are still accumulating when an aircraft is sitting idle and they are massive. Just from the travel and leisure sector, there will be serious commercial casualties. Airlines, travel companies, hotels, bars and restaurants would have been relying on the spring income to make up for the winter season. Concert venues, pubs and clubs? Even if gatherings of under 100 people aren't prohibited, people simply won't turn up.

The other thing that people haven't yet mentioned is all the 'normal' High Street shops. Many are already teetering on the brink and a serious downturn at what should be a major shopping season is going to be the kiss of death for more than one or two retailers. In fact, when you start to think about everything that involves going out or buying anything other than the essentials, it gets rather frightening.

Indeed. State support is going to need to be immense across much of the economy, and whilst my own job (NHS) is likely to be protected I am far from expecting to be financially isolated from the consequences.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, rabski said:

Remind me not to read any @rabski posts which start with these words...:nerves:

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Being part of the food industry sector I can see life becoming very busy, but in my role visiting approx two different factories each week it's not as straightforward.....had one visit cancelled (scheduled for end if the month), European visits are 'mothballed' and I can see the possibility of greater restrictions, though the major retailers will be very concerned at maintaining standards on site when inevitably staff absence will increase.  Difficult bakance to maintain there.

:zip:

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Yes these industries are the front of house industries, the people facing and one assumes and quite rightly they will suffer hard. But there will be many others that will too. I have already seen my design projects being cancelled or long term postponed because of the jitters in the markets. There is very little confidence out there so money is not being spent

Jessica xx

Not a lot of fun in the Far East either, for obvious reasons. I've had three separate companies in the last few days email to say that transformers and circuit boards I was eagerly awaiting are delayed and nobody can say how long for. Ah well. Time to start digging deeper into the spares pile and make do with what's here and in the UK.

• Upvote 1

Was talking to a legal attorney last night and it is starting to hit trials quite hard. It is becoming very difficult to keep the 12 jury members either healthy in their own right, or not needing to self isolate because of contact with someone at risk, for the duration of the trial.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Was talking to a legal attorney last night and it is starting to hit trials quite hard. It is becoming very difficult to keep the 12 jury members either healthy in their own right, or not needing to self isolate because of contact with someone at risk, for the duration of the trial.

never thought of that, once you do it's kinda obvious

It is unfortunately going to be a total shit storm, both on a personal welfare and general economic level. The work from home but I can cope with, done it for 20 years. If there will be anyone at the other end of the phone or email is going to be debateable. How many businesses will expire from lack of cash flow? The amount of money that will be needed to keep companies afloat will be well above the capability of any government.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dudywoxer said:

The amount of money that will be needed to keep companies afloat will be well above the capability of any government.

I agree. We're in for a masive shake-up. As with the population, if there are "underlying health conditions" in organisations then they will fail. I'm thinking retailers like John Lewis and, in the same way no-one saw the collapse of Woolworths or ToysRUs, others who appear superficially solid will struggle and/or fail; capital intensive businesses like airlines will be unable to keep up with their loan terms; some governments; and the list goes on. In business terms (some might say the same about the population but that would be cruel and crass) I think we're going to see a bit of a cull of organisations which have been in denial/resisting the inevitable for too long. What emerges on the other side of the carnage will be interesting.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Upvote 1

If you have ambitions to buy your own executive jet, I suspect there will be bargains to be had...

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, rabski said:

Not a lot of fun in the Far East either, for obvious reasons. I've had three separate companies in the last few days email to say that transformers and circuit boards I was eagerly awaiting are delayed and nobody can say how long for. Ah well. Time to start digging deeper into the spares pile and make do with what's here and in the UK.

Sometimes make do can lead to inspiration

Kindest regards Julian 

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, rabski said:

The green lobby will be loving the fact that aircraft are sitting on the tarmac...They might start to realise what can happen when you just stop such an important part of world economics..

Let's hope when all this is over the public truly support the high St..

It will certainly highlight what it will be like if it no longer exists in the future..

Kindest regards Julian 

• Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.